Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Defining God
02-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Defining God
So to be honest, we have had many threads like this over the years and yet no one has substantially answered the questions...
What is God?
Who is God?

Most of us see God in terms of human likeness, yet that cannot be right can it?

So up for debate:

1) Define what God is...
2) Define who God is...
3) Is it possible to ever really answer either of these questions in terms the human mind can really understand?

This is an invitation for atheists and non-theists to jump in and add their opinion to what God is or isn't as well. I only as that we all remain civil and support our assertions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2010, 09:43 AM
RE: Defining God
(02-16-2010 07:26 AM)trevorlawrence Wrote:  ...1) Define what God is...

God is the Source and Ground of all being and all love.

(02-16-2010 07:26 AM)trevorlawrence Wrote:  ...2) Define who God is...

God is our perfectly loving Father.

(02-16-2010 07:26 AM)trevorlawrence Wrote:  ...3) Is it possible to ever really answer either of these questions in terms the human mind can really understand? ...

We can begin to grasp God's nature, person, and being, but the finite can never fully comprehend the infinite.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
02-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Quote:What is God?

The gods are different forms of life that can never fully be on this plane of existence, and are able to manipulate energy and matter when they wish it.

Quote:Define who God is...

Which god?

Quote:3) Is it possible to ever really answer either of these questions in terms the human mind can really understand?

Not fully, as we cannot experience what they do, but intellectually, sure, with study.
02-16-2010, 10:26 PM
What is God?
My opinion is that God is a human projection of itself.

Who is God?
See above.

Is it possible to ever really answer either of these questions in terms the human mind can really understand?
Yes. I just did.

---------------
Not selling anything.
02-16-2010, 11:54 PM
I would agree with Merryatheist about God being a human projection, and add a quote from Charles Darwin that may point towards why humans create God/s:

'With me the horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind, which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?'

Invisible moral arbiters in the form of God/s may be an artifact generated by our evolved monkey's minds, with their desire for fairness and the ability to impute agency in other entities, both real and imagined.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...rness.html
02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Jehovah, the one who Causes to Become; he is the Creator, Father, the Almighty and the Most High.
02-17-2010, 04:18 PM
(02-17-2010 10:31 AM)jwitness Wrote:  Jehovah, the one who Causes to Become; he is the Creator, Father, the Almighty and the Most High.

No, Yahweh is not God Most High. EL Elyon is God Most High. Two different gods that Jews tried to mold into one with the resulting schizophrenic god of Israel who has EL's wisdom and compassion here that is overridden by Yahweh, the war god's cruelty and revenge there, just exactly like the behavior of those following Yahweh.
02-17-2010, 06:34 PM
God/s, by whatever name you wish to call them, is/are a projection of ones own potential and values. God is the name given to all that inspires awe and wonder. an external projection of the innermost self.

Unfortunately, to those that project god 'out there', he/she/it can also be a catch all explanation to everything yet unknown. A cheat sheet for the universe from which the practitioner learns nothing and even worse, creates a mental wall blocking against actual wisdom.

For those like myself that internalize god, realizing at the same time that this god is in fact a projection of the innermost self and a window to the great abyss that is the subconscious mind, god can be a useful tool for 'mindscaping' ones own headspace. He is personal memeplex that can add structure and order to the mind. I like to call it 'autotheism'

Mostly I have found this to be a fairly rare position, as those that see things in this way generally try to mentally phase out that aspect of their mind , seeing it as extraneous. Considering the damage to the world caused by mans tendency to externalize his gods, I can hardly blame them.

As for me, I prefer to call him 'Satan' rather than god for a number of reasons.
02-17-2010, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2010 11:01 PM by biomystic.)
(02-17-2010 06:34 PM)satans_serrated_edge Wrote:  God/s, by whatever name you wish to call them, is/are a projection of ones own potential and values. God is the name given to all that inspires awe and wonder. an external projection of the innermost self.

Unfortunately, to those that project god 'out there', he/she/it can also be a catch all explanation to everything yet unknown. A cheat sheet for the universe from which the practitioner learns nothing and even worse, creates a mental wall blocking against actual wisdom.

For those like myself that internalize god, realizing at the same time that this god is in fact a projection of the innermost self and a window to the great abyss that is the subconscious mind, god can be a useful tool for 'mindscaping' ones own headspace. He is personal memeplex that can add structure and order to the mind. I like to call it 'autotheism'

Mostly I have found this to be a fairly rare position, as those that see things in this way generally try to mentally phase out that aspect of their mind , seeing it as extraneous. Considering the damage to the world caused by mans tendency to externalize his gods, I can hardly blame them.

As for me, I prefer to call him 'Satan' rather than god for a number of reasons.

If I projected God from my innermost self then God wouldn't exist because I was an atheist for 35 years before God came along and woke me up out of my spiritual slumber. And one can arrive at God's identity from the continuity of reports about Them through time.
02-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Quote:If I projected God from my innermost self then God wouldn't exist because I was an atheist for 35 years before God came along and woke me up out of my spiritual slumber

Well there you have it. While you were an atheist you had no internal conception of god. Now that you are not, you do.

And that conception benefits you in some way, at least from your point of view.

Which was sort of my point.

Quote:And one can arrive at God's identity from the continuity of reports about Them through time.

Different people have different conceptions of what constitutes sound epistemology. If the rather specious claims put forth by the bible serve to you as convincing evidence, that is fine. If various testimonials from converts far and wide about jesus entering their lives, complete with varying amounts of supernatural occurrences (speaking to people etc), that is also fine. For you, and those like you.

There remains however a certain number of us with a more stringent and empirical sense of epistemology. We require 'stronger stuff'.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)