Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Differences between catholic, protestant, baptist etc
07-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Differences between catholic, protestant, baptist etc
Forgive me for sounding dumb here, but what is the difference in being a Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, Jehovah's Witness, Orthodox, Lutheran ,Angelican and Morman etc?

I wasn't raised religious(well, my mum had a go at taking me to church once) and i am Agnostic so i don't really know the differences between them (well i know roughly with some), i have tried asking people before but it just got confusing.

So can someone please give a simple(if you can) explanation of who believes what please.

(Sorry if this has been asked before)

Thanks to anyone who replies.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
RE: Differences between catholic, protestant, baptist etc
(07-28-2009 05:14 PM)Lady_Fiona Wrote:  Forgive me for sounding dumb here, but what is the difference in being a Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, Jehovah's Witness, Orthodox, Lutheran ,Angelican and Morman etc?

I wasn't raised religious(well, my mum had a go at taking me to church once) and i am Agnostic so i don't really know the differences between them (well i know roughly with some), i have tried asking people before but it just got confusing.

So can someone please give a simple(if you can) explanation of who believes what please.

(Sorry if this has been asked before)

Thanks to anyone who replies.

As a former Catholic, here is my (simplified) explanation:

Catholics place equal importance upon sacraments and church authority as they do upon biblical authority. They view these three as equally important facets of their faith. The Orthodox are very similar in this respect, though there are significant differences (the Orthodox place a bit more importance on tradition, I believe).

Anglicans are somewhere between Catholics and Protestants in that they are sacramentally based and regard the Bible as authoritative, though my understanding is that the authority of the church is not quite as all-encompassing as with the Roman Catholics. I'm sure others here can flesh this out a bit more (Anglican? Are you listening?).

Protestants, (which includes just about all other "christian" denominations) place great value upon personal interpretation of the Bible. In general, they understand the Bible as the sole authority for their faith, hence the term you may have heard, "sola scriptura". Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, and most non-denominational churches fit into this category.

Personally, I would include Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons in the overall grouping of "protestant", but there are some important differences. For one thing the Mormons accept as authoritative the book of Mormon as well as the Bible. Additionally, the Jehovah's Witnesses don't accept the divinity of Jesus, and this, among other beliefs, places them outside what would be considered "mainline" Christianity.

The above explanations should not be regarded as definitive, but rather as a loose sketch, something to consider as a general "rule of thumb" regarding these different beliefs.

Hope that helps.

---------------
Not selling anything.
07-28-2009, 09:01 PM
To generalize what MerryAtheist said, these religions are all christian because they claim at least some belief in Christ and the bible (although some, like the Catholics, Orthodox, Mormons, etc., modify this with other teachings.) However, we know very little about the actual life of Christ beyond what is reported in the bible, and the bible itself often seems contradictory and (depending on which sect you talk to) full of metaphor, so as these things are interpreted differently, different sects, cults, and denominations form.

If you want to learn more, Wikipedia is a good place to start (though I warn you never trust Wikipedia completely, always check their sources.) Also, Jonathan Swift write a marvelous allegory of the Catholics, Anglicans, and Protestants called "The Tale of the Tub", in which he rather accurately, in my opinion, illustrated the history of the church. The tale itself is someone skewed toward the Anglicans, as he was himself an Anglican, but it is still a very good story.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
07-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks for both of you for clearing that up, i have checked wikipedia, but i prefer asking actual people as you can get a clearer understanding of what they all are etc.
07-29-2009, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2009 07:15 PM by Anglican.)
(07-28-2009 06:09 PM)MerryAtheist Wrote:  Anglicans are somewhere between Catholics and Protestants in that they are sacramentally based and regard the Bible as authoritative, though my understanding is that the authority of the church is not quite as all-encompassing as with the Roman Catholics. I'm sure others here can flesh this out a bit more (Anglican? Are you listening?).

One Anglican priest, commenting upon the differences between Catholics and Anglicans, made the remark, "We have a hierarchy, but we don't take it too seriously. The Catholics do." Probably they can't afford to take it too seriously, when they play host to everybody from evangelicals who make Calvin look like an Ultra Montist Catholic at one extreme, and the anglo-papists, who make the Pope look like a Baptist, at the other extreme.

http://www.midanglican.com
07-31-2009, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2009 09:13 AM by Raphael.)
(07-29-2009 07:05 PM)Anglican Wrote:  One Anglican priest, commenting upon the differences between Catholics and Anglicans, made the remark, "We have a hierarchy, but we don't take it too seriously. The Catholics do." Probably they can't afford to take it too seriously, when they play host to everybody from evangelicals who make Calvin look like an Ultra Montist Catholic at one extreme, and the anglo-papists, who make the Pope look like a Baptist, at the other extreme.

HIERARCHY?
glaring difference between the CHURCH and the indigenous.

when the church patron/believer enters a church, it is obvious who is hierarchical...who is boss of the temple.

when an ameri-indian entered a KIVA, the tribal priest was barefoot and positoned lower than the initiate, and the priest bows down to the person entering the temple...

hahaha
could you see that happening in western churches?
the Pope gets out of his throne to bow down to a mere mortal like EWE or me?

>>there is innate spirituality and then there is organized religion that tries to exploit who/what we are.
Do not confuse the two.
big big difference.
IMHO

namaste

NATURE cannot be HIDDEN only VEILeD with NARRATIVES that defy NATURE

CodeX4 and the Reconciliation of Science and Religion
http://kachina2012.wordpress.com/about/
08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
http://www.religionfacts.com/christianit...charts.htm
hope this site helps
08-04-2009, 02:34 AM
Thank you for that site, it's very interesting, though sadly incomplete.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
08-04-2009, 11:25 PM
That is a cool site! Good find.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Protestant Revolution muslim girl 31 1,163 06-29-2013 07:15 PM
Last Post: Amo
  Morally, what are the major differences between Christianity and Islam? Stonecold 6 2,581 01-30-2011 03:41 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  Westboro Baptist Church Holy Babylon 7 810 11-11-2010 10:28 AM
Last Post: Blood_Raven13
  Christchurch protestant cathedral... Stanley, Falkland Islands CAMILO9015 2 688 03-23-2010 05:52 AM
Last Post: kevlar

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)