Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do All Baptist Churches Differ From Each Other?
04-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Exclamation Do All Baptist Churches Differ From Each Other?
Baptist churches usually have different doctrines. The only thing which is common to them is their belief in the outpouring of the Holy Spirit which is recorded in Acts.

I'm from Bible Baptist Church. Rolleyes
What I can say is..."Bible Baptist" is different.
We have Southern Baptist, Fundamental Baptist, Freewill Baptist, General Baptist, and more, but do they have similarities? Maybe yes, but still there's "difference".

But, can I get your opinion about this Topic? What can you say?

oh, and one more thing. Baptist is not a religion. It is an organization, a group of Christians. Some people, even baptist, thought that it is a religion. But it is not.

*Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding.
*Be not wise in thine own eyes, Fear the Lord and Depart from evil.
*In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
RE: Do All Baptist Churches Differ From Each Other?
So when you say Baptist isn't a religion, do you mean that you consider your religion to be Christianity and being Baptist is just an organization you, as a Christian, choose to belong to? Like, say, someone who's intereted in sports might join a community baseball team?

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
04-29-2008, 05:21 AM
I dont have religion... What is important is my Relationship with God.

*Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding.
*Be not wise in thine own eyes, Fear the Lord and Depart from evil.
*In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths.
05-12-2008, 11:25 PM
If you don't have a religion, why dont you understand others peoples point of view. If you were free of bias, you would not point to one religion or another, you would not be able too.

When you say "I dont have religion" is that you or the thing you believe in. Some can talk, but you should choose your words more carefully.

For when I listen I also hear "I have no religion". Therefore, I beleive that it has no religion, because religion is a human construct. If the universe is all the same everywhere, there must only be one sysytem.

Do you talk or listen?
05-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Hey just have to say sorry for the above. I should have put this in another place.
07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
The Baptist practice is like any other, whether Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, C of C, Assembly or whatever. It's just a denomination. Every denomination has a doctrine, as well. And Baptist denoms are Christian, as the other Christian denoms are.

I happen to have grown up Southern Baptist and our doctrine was different than that of the Missionary Baptists. But they are both bible-teaching denominations with the same Christian beliefs. Personally, I don't follow either doctrine, and always had a few problems with some of the things in the doctrines.

I hate to argue apples and oranges of doctrines and for the most part of my adult life, have been more of a non-denom Baptist.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
Find all posts by this user
06-04-2009, 11:48 AM
(07-14-2008 04:51 PM)Alison Wrote:  The Baptist practice is like any other, whether Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, C of C, Assembly or whatever. It's just a denomination. Every denomination has a doctrine, as well. And Baptist denoms are Christian, as the other Christian denoms are.

I happen to have grown up Southern Baptist and our doctrine was different than that of the Missionary Baptists. But they are both bible-teaching denominations with the same Christian beliefs. Personally, I don't follow either doctrine, and always had a few problems with some of the things in the doctrines.

I hate to argue apples and oranges of doctrines and for the most part of my adult life, have been more of a non-denom Baptist.
Hello Alison,

Aren't the core beliefs the same?

The Bible is the Word of God.

Salvation by Grace through Faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ.

Born from above (born again) by the Holy Spirit of God.

Baptism is an outward declaration of something that has already taken place in the believer (a picture of dying to sin and rising in newness of life). It has no saving quality.

The Lords Supper is a remembrance. It has no saving quality.

I'm a bit confused by your statement that you don't follow either "doctrine".

Isn't doctrine the teaching of Gods Word?

Quote:2Ti 3:16 Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God's will in thought, purpose, and action),
2Ti 3:17 So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work.
06-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Those are the Articles of Faith, which I have no problem with. Those are not Baptist-specific, though. Many Christian denominations and Christian non-denominations practice the same tenents.

I suppose I should have nit picked Articles of Faith, Doctrinal Statements and Church Covenant apart to air my specific problems. Yes, the things you listed are the core of the Baptist doctrine (both missionary and southern)..

My problem with the non-Articles of Faith are the man-made parts ... the money, how it is spent, the heirarchy of the people, the 'breaking of fellowship' with someone and open and closed communion (the Lord's Supper).

06-04-2009, 05:19 PM
(04-28-2008 08:16 AM)Ephratah7 Wrote:  Baptist churches usually have different doctrines. The only thing which is common to them is their belief in the outpouring of the Holy Spirit which is recorded in Acts.

I'm from Bible Baptist Church. Rolleyes
What I can say is..."Bible Baptist" is different.
We have Southern Baptist, Fundamental Baptist, Freewill Baptist, General Baptist, and more, but do they have similarities? Maybe yes, but still there's "difference".

But, can I get your opinion about this Topic? What can you say?

oh, and one more thing. Baptist is not a religion. It is an organization, a group of Christians. Some people, even baptist, thought that it is a religion. But it is not.

I happen to be a member of a General Baptist Convention church, but I pretty much "feel" non-denominational.

There's an old saying: "Take any three Baptists, put them in a locked room together and tell them to debate a particular point of doctrine. When you let them out of the room, you'll find at least ten different opinons." I've found that to be pretty much true.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
06-05-2009, 08:29 AM
(06-04-2009 05:19 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  I happen to be a member of a General Baptist Convention church, but I pretty much "feel" non-denominational.

There's an old saying: "Take any three Baptists, put them in a locked room together and tell them to debate a particular point of doctrine. When you let them out of the room, you'll find at least ten different opinons." I've found that to be pretty much true.

... and six different committees to look into the opinions! Big Grin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)