Poll: Do people have a conscience?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do people have a conscience?
07-07-2009, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2009 09:22 PM by PatPar.)
Do people have a conscience?
See below for corrected query.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2009, 08:41 PM
RE: Do people have a conscience?
I think you're asking the wrong question. Obviously we have a conscience. We have an internal voice rendering moral judgments on our actions. The question I think you mean to ask is: Is this conscience some outside factor of an external morality, such as a morality from god, or is this conscience simply a product of the sort of moral programming every child receives while growing up?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
07-07-2009, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2009 09:13 PM by PatPar.)
Yes, you are correct. I should have elaborated upon that a bit.

Are all human beings born with a conscience that feels remorse or not?

If answered no above, where does our sense of conscience come from? (assuming we have one)

If answered yes above, how does this conscience function? (note here that everyone does not seem to be able to agree on what is right or wrong)

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/discipleschrist/
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2009 01:11 PM by PatPar.)
(07-07-2009 08:41 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  I think you're asking the wrong question. Obviously we have a conscience. We have an internal voice rendering moral judgments on our actions. The question I think you mean to ask is: Is this conscience some outside factor of an external morality, such as a morality from god, or is this conscience simply a product of the sort of moral programming every child receives while growing up?

Indeed this is an important issue, for if conscience is a product of moral programming then there are no actual sociopaths and psychopaths, only persons who failed to receive the proper moral programming, except in the case of brain damage or deformity. This would provide a sound explanation for why people view religion to be so important. If the case is otherwise, then we need to determine why our God-given consciences are either missing or nonfunctional in some people.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
07-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Exactly. If there is a god, and he does give us moral programming in the form of a conscience, then what about sociopaths? What about psychopaths? What about those who are mentally unable to understand the rules of society?

On the other hand, why is religion important to morality? If morality can come from a civilized society (and it can,) why do you need religion to give it?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
07-08-2009, 04:04 PM
(07-08-2009 01:12 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Exactly. If there is a god, and he does give us moral programming in the form of a conscience, then what about sociopaths? What about psychopaths? What about those who are mentally unable to understand the rules of society?
Agreed.
(07-08-2009 01:12 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  On the other hand, why is religion important to morality? If morality can come from a civilized society (and it can,) why do you need religion to give it?
We need a stable moral base that is permanent and cross-cultural.
What if your moralistic society collapses for other reasons?
What if several societies cannot agree on morality and continously fight wars (see democracy vs communism 1950 - 1990)

07-08-2009, 04:26 PM
The wars between democracy and communism were NOT about morality. They had nothing to do with morality. They had everything to do with threats and power.

I agree we need a stable moral base. We call that base "society". It's wasn't legal to murder people even in the USSR. Nor was it legal to steal. Certain morals exist because they are needed to have society. If society collapses, religion will not save it. And as soon as society is rebuilt, there will magically be morals again, because you NEED morals to have a society.

07-08-2009, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2009 04:52 PM by PatPar.)
(07-08-2009 04:26 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  The wars between democracy and communism were NOT about morality. They had nothing to do with morality. They had everything to do with threats and power.
Perhaps morality was an improper term, but then I remember all about the Great Communist Evil, sounds moralistic to me.
Why were they a threat to the USA in Asia? Not a valid point. What about all of the anti-communism hysteria? What about George Bush and his war to spread democracy and freedom in Iraq? I heard him expounding on the news many times about how Great it was that we have now installed a Democratic government.

(07-08-2009 04:26 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  If society collapses, religion will not save it. And as soon as society is rebuilt, there will magically be morals again, because you NEED morals to have a society.

Religion has kept society together for longer than any government ever. Check your history, even in the Dark Ages people still kept to religious services in Europe.

07-09-2009, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2009 05:19 PM by God Rocks.)
I split this thread since it was getting off topic. You can continue your discussion of the other topic there so this thread can stay on topic.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2009, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2009 11:41 PM by PatPar.)
So, once again, original topic which only one person commented about before we diverged into another line of thinking.

Are all human beings born with a conscience that feels remorse or not?

If answered no above, where does our sense of conscience come from? (assuming we have one)

If answered yes above, how does this conscience function? (note here that everyone does not seem to be able to agree on what is right or wrong)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  INDIVIDUAL CONSCIENCE RonPrice 0 377 12-20-2011 07:25 PM
Last Post: RonPrice
  The Dark Ages [split from Do people have a conscience?] GTseng3 19 3,544 02-03-2010 03:27 PM
Last Post: Ahmadi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)