Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does Religion tend to prevent technological advances?
07-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Does Religion tend to prevent technological advances?
Many religions frown on technology advancement and revert to a more primitive lifestyle. All the Abramhamic religions have sects that do this, examples would be amish christians, some satmar Jews, and sects of Islam. Why is it frowned upon and does G-d want us to slow down or stop technological advancement?

"Torah's food for my brain let it rain til I drown, thunder, let the blessings come down!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2013, 04:53 PM
RE: Does Religion tend to prevent technological advances?
For the Amish I think it's because they want to be simple like Jesus. They don't want to turn lazy or conceited because of technology, I think.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
07-24-2013, 04:55 PM
What's George W's excuse for disallowing stem cell research in the US? He said it was about his faith.
07-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I am imagining people who oppose stem cell research do it on the basis that embryos are created and killed through some forms of said research, I think.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
07-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Without dragging up quotes from the time, my recollection is that Bush opposed it based on his faith. His faith instructed him to oppose it. I have to apologise and say I'm too tired to search for this right now. As to your suggestion about why people who oppose stem cell research do so, I'd say that they may certainly believe that's the case. Nothing better to get the public all in a lather than to suggest that babies are being made and killed in the name of research. I'm glad and perhaps one day personally thankful that firstly this is not the case and secondly that other countries had/have greater foresight and continued with all kinds of stem cell research.
07-25-2013, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 12:36 AM by shiverleaf15.)
Hm, I know that stem cell research has advanced a lot and finds stem cells in diverse things such as teeth and vertebrae and placentas and what not, but I'm pretty sure that in Bush's day it was more restricted to embryos. I don't know actually but I feel this is what I recall hearing years ago. This is what some people opposed, I believe.

07-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Kadesh wrote:

"...does G-d want us to slow down or stop technological advancement?"

In my belief no... God doesn't "want" to slow down or stop technological advancement... It may be the use of technology could be considered an issue...

How are some of the new technologies used..?

Are they used to identify female foetuses early in pregnancies in order to abort them?

Are they used to develope missiles and rays that can destroy more people faster?

"All men have been created to carry forward an ever-advancing civilization. The Almighty beareth Me witness: To act like the beasts of the field is unworthy of man. Those virtues that befit his dignity are forbearance, mercy, compassion and loving-kindness towards all the peoples and kindreds of the earth."

~ Baha'u'llah

"All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree."
07-25-2013, 12:18 PM
(07-24-2013 04:01 PM)kadosh7 Wrote:  Many religions frown on technology advancement and revert to a more primitive lifestyle. All the Abramhamic religions have sects that do this, examples would be amish christians, some satmar Jews, and sects of Islam. Why is it frowned upon and does G-d want us to slow down or stop technological advancement?

Can you give an example how Islam discourage technology and advancement

Click Here to know more about Islam
07-25-2013, 12:55 PM
It is not religion but individuals who are religious who stall growth.

But not all religious people are like that.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-25-2013, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 02:10 PM by Niva.)
Okay, let's get something straight. There is no religion that says progress is bad.

Some groups oppose certain therapies or changes, like JW's being against blood transfusions and some Christians being against embryonic stem cell research. This does not mean that "religion" opposes progress. People oppose progress, some with power.

As far as Anabaptist sects, they vary from community to community, all depending on their Ordnung. Groups will argue over how big hats are allowed to be, colours of their buggies, and things like that. It's not that they believe electricity or telephones are a "sin," simply that they make life too easy, or are spiritually harmful to them. They don't run around trying to make anyone else obey their lifestyle.

The Amish are really fascinating. I'd love to find an opportunity to study the Urglaawe style of Heathenry sometime, because I'm a geek.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)