Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Doubting Mark - an atheist who goes to church
07-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Doubting Mark - an atheist who goes to church
I'm an atheist blogger, who goes to church and reviews the message of the pastor based on how the message compares with humanist values.

I started doing this, primarily because of an offhand comment I made about the Pope. The Pope had recently been in the news saying that even atheists could be good people, and that sort of floored me.

I had never heard of a religious leader saying that I could be a good person. My comment was along the lines of "I wish every religious leader would say things like that," and a pastor friend of mine told me that they did.

Well, being skeptical, and having lots of preconceived notions about what goes on in churches, I didn't buy that at all. But, I have been wrong about things before, so I could be wrong about this.

I went to a Methodist church, and then to a big-box fundamentalist mega church, and wrote about what I experienced there. I did it in a blog form because I couldn't get it to format the way I liked on Facebook, and I was quite surprised by how much encouragement I got from my facebook friends, and even other folks who had stumbled across the blog.

So I did it a few more times. I went to a Buddhist monastery, a Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall, a Mormon church, a Catholic Church, a Synagogue, a Mosque, and more recently, the Church of Scientology.

I've been rather surprised by what I've found, and even more surprised by how popular the blog has become. It's about a month and a half old, and I've gotten over 120,000 visits. A Mormon magazine did a story on me, and I've been on the radio.

Anyway, I thought this might be a place where folks might be interested to read what I've written, so here's the link:

http://doubtingmark.wordpress.com/

If you click on "Review Criteria" you'll see my review criteria, and there's also a scorecard of the churches I've been to.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2013, 11:22 PM
RE: Doubting Mark - an atheist who goes to church
Woah this is weird. I recently read an article about an Atheist or Agnostic I think, who went to a Mormon church, and made an article.

I thought it might have been you, but your blog's article isn't the one. Nevertheless, I think what you did, as well as the other person, is really cool. I'm going to go check your articles now. I'm LDS myself.

Welcome to the forums (:
07-12-2013, 11:25 PM
RE: Doubting Mark - an atheist who goes to church
(07-12-2013 11:22 PM)shiverleaf15 Wrote:  Woah this is weird. I recently read an article about an Atheist or Agnostic I think, who went to a Mormon church, and made an article.

I thought it might have been you, but your blog's article isn't the one. Nevertheless, I think what you did, as well as the other person, is really cool. I'm going to go check your articles now. I'm LDS myself.

Welcome to the forums (:

It might well be me. LDS Living magazine and a few other prominent Mormon blogs reported on me, so you might have read one of those.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)