Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Emotions and morality
05-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Emotions and morality
Just my opinion, interested to hear what everyone else thinks?
A lie and the truth. When I tell a lie or tell a truth in the physical world, I feel real emotion, emotion that has a real effect. I maybe outside, thinking, meditating, listening to music, on my computer, writing or living in society, but emotions are allways present. I can't escape my own emotions.

Ok, so I live on the planet, in the real world, as all people live on the planet.

When I do or think something bad I feel bad

When I do or think something good I feel good

bad and good. There are many levels of bad and good, my emotions represent this and allow me to feel an emotion.

My emotions tell me if I am morally unjust or morally just, with every thought I have or action I take. Generally, my actions represent the physical word and my thoughts represent something I have thought in the past, what I am thinking right now, and what I want to happen in the future.

The past is the bad bit for me, I am not a perfect person, but I look towards the future.

I think I was about 9, I was living in the country with my greek father and australain mother working in a small family shop. Mum caught me stealing from the shop. I new I was in trouble.
Dad sat me down and explained why I shouldn't steal in a very calm but angry way. Basically he told me that I should not steal because it is the wrong thing to do, I already new the difference between right and wrong.
I understood and felt the essence of what he was saying, this is why I remember this story, a good story.
My dad then took his belt and smacked me across my hands, it surprised me for dad had never spoken like that before. For a moment I thought it might all change. Just for a moment.
I was angry at my father and my mother for along time, for it seemed they tried their best.

So ive taken something that was a bad experince, and learnt from the good bit

If I could have just realised that when I was a bit younger.

Would you change your life if you could? What would you do? Would you want money? Sex and rock and roll? Environment? Freewill? Freedom? Equality? Exploration? Clean air?

good and bad.

But because I can only give one example, Im sure there must be others with something interesting to say.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2008, 11:29 AM
RE: Emotions and morality
There are some things I would have done differently in retrospect. I think everyone has moments they wish they'd done differently. At the same time though I realize that if I had done things differently, my life today would be changed as well. My life isn't perfect but overall I think its pretty good. I don't think I'd want the power to change the past because who knows what consequences it could have.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
05-17-2008, 05:57 AM
True. But can I change the present? If you are truly aware of what you say and write, could you really change anything. Would you not be trapped within yourself. You can do nothing but what you choose. Would you be able to say good or bad to someone else, for you can only judge yourself. You say what is the standard for oneself then. I would reply, is it wrong or right for me to be wrting this? Thats why morality is a hard one, but forums like this one are good, sometimes small is good.
what do you think about self-judgement on different levels? ie when your in the real world, on the internet, thinking etc
06-29-2008, 12:27 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2008 12:28 AM by Dreamcoat.)
George Wrote:Just my opinion, interested to hear what everyone else thinks?
A lie and the truth. When I tell a lie or tell a truth in the physical world, I feel real emotion, emotion that has a real effect. I maybe outside, thinking, meditating, listening to music, on my computer, writing or living in society, but emotions are allways present. I can't escape my own emotions.

Ok, so I live on the planet, in the real world, as all people live on the planet.

When I do or think something bad I feel bad

When I do or think something good I feel good

bad and good. There are many levels of bad and good, my emotions represent this and allow me to feel an emotion.

My emotions tell me if I am morally unjust or morally just, with every thought I have or action I take. Generally, my actions represent the physical word and my thoughts represent something I have thought in the past, what I am thinking right now, and what I want to happen in the future.

The past is the bad bit for me, I am not a perfect person, but I look towards the future.

I think I was about 9, I was living in the country with my greek father and australain mother working in a small family shop. Mum caught me stealing from the shop. I new I was in trouble.
Dad sat me down and explained why I shouldn't steal in a very calm but angry way. Basically he told me that I should not steal because it is the wrong thing to do, I already new the difference between right and wrong.
I understood and felt the essence of what he was saying, this is why I remember this story, a good story.
My dad then took his belt and smacked me across my hands, it surprised me for dad had never spoken like that before. For a moment I thought it might all change. Just for a moment.
I was angry at my father and my mother for along time, for it seemed they tried their best.

So ive taken something that was a bad experince, and learnt from the good bit

If I could have just realised that when I was a bit younger.

Would you change your life if you could? What would you do? Would you want money? Sex and rock and roll? Environment? Freewill? Freedom? Equality? Exploration? Clean air?

good and bad.

But because I can only give one example, Im sure there must be others with something interesting to say.

I was about to steal some goods in a shop that had a basement. My friend, who had already had some goods stuffed under his shirt was on look out up the stairs. I heard a voice say "that is against God".

At twelve years of age, I was spooked. I put back what I was taking and went up the stairs of the basement and walked out of the shop with my friend. Outside, he wanted to know what I had stolen. He pulled a couple of toy cap guns from under his shirt.

I told him what happened and he laughed and said I was mad. From that time on we never hung out together. By the time he was eighteen, he was in prison.

I never shoplifted again.

At http://www.tencommandmentstoday.com there is some interesting commentary on you shall not steal.
Find all posts by this user
06-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Like everyone else there are things I would change about my past. I wouldn't change all the bad things I've done because some of those things actually help me now to understand and relate to people that are involved in some of the things I used to do. If I could change anything about my own history I would want to give myself more confidence then I had which would have enabled me to make better choices.

Regarding judging one's self . . . I think it is important to reflect on your own behavior. Judgment goes both ways . . . it's important to acknowledge your failures AND your accomplishments. It's also important to forgive yourself for your mistakes.
08-28-2008, 10:54 AM
If I could change my past I think the only really important thing I would change is I would never have been so cruel to my sister. She was young and view me more like her mother than a sibling. She didn't deserve my abuse; but it was all I had known my whole life.

I would consider changing my childhood and getting away from my parents earlier (surely some member of my family could have taken me in and treated me better). The thing is, I use my bad experiences too often to really say I would change it. I'm really not sure if the good outweighs the bad there or visa versa. Who can say? But perhaps it's a good thing we cannot change the past only learn from it.

HelpThisLife | Anime Forums
10-14-2008, 01:26 AM
Moral values are very necessary in one's life. The moral values makes our lives much better going in social and personal networks. Emotions are also the part of moral values which tells us on how to react on specific situations? If you are strong believer in success in life then like to share one thing with you. There is an e-book http://www.succcess.org/ which depicts the description of the success in life. I hope you will like to go through it.
02-07-2009, 11:06 AM
The truth is, it's a pleasant thing to reminisce about what you would change in the past. But it's really a pleasant fiction one uses to convince themselves that they've grown. In reality, the opportunity to change what is past is in the present, always there. Yet it's so much easier to fantasize about going back in time and changing things that taking responsibility in the present here and now and change them now.

That is because though we hated how we acted in the past, we really are afraid to change. That's why we use the past as an excuse. "It's impossible to travel through time" we say. Yes. It is impossible. But you can change who you are now. In the present.

It's just a really scary prospect. One that we often delay or abdicate so that others can take care of us. Thus, we never grow.

Es gibt keine Korken in diesem Strom. Aber ich dachte zweifellos, dass es geben würde. Es dauerte mir Jahre, um diese einfache Wahrheit zu finden.
04-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Thank you for your comments.
07-04-2009, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2009 08:47 PM by PatPar.)
We would all be better people if we did not become overly emotional due to such things. Unfortunately most people have such an emotional attachment to their own morality they cannot control their anger regarding perceived moral violations.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/discipleschrist/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Subjective morality means no morality? Leosnake 11 2,033 08-10-2013 08:56 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)