Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Epilepsy = Demonic Possession!
09-09-2017, 05:23 AM
Epilepsy = Demonic Possession!
According to Matthew 17 v 14-18 (NIV) it would appear Jesus believed those suffering from epilepsy were possessed by demons, in those far off days, it might have been forgivable for people to believe in such nonsense. A major epileptic seizure is very scary indeed, I have witnessed several as my husband has the condition after his brain haemorrhage in 2006, fortunately his meds control the seizures. In this day and age of modern medicine we know the cause of epilepsy, and of course mythical demons have nothing to do with it.

I find it very hard to believe some extreme Biblical literalists not only believe demons actually exist, but epileptics and people with other neurological conditions are possessed by them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2017, 06:47 AM
RE: Epilepsy = Demonic Possession!
(09-09-2017 05:23 AM)Goldenrain Wrote:  I find it very hard to believe some extreme Biblical literalists not only believe demons actually exist, but epileptics and people with other neurological conditions are possessed by them.

Indeed - a long time ago, people didn't know any better, but nowadays people that hold on to such notions are very scary (and sometimes dangerous) Sad

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it
09-09-2017, 07:39 AM
(09-09-2017 06:47 AM)Herminator Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 05:23 AM)Goldenrain Wrote:  I find it very hard to believe some extreme Biblical literalists not only believe demons actually exist, but epileptics and people with other neurological conditions are possessed by them.

Indeed - a long time ago, people didn't know any better, but nowadays people that hold on to such notions are very scary (and sometimes dangerous) Sad

The exorcism hocus pocus has been known to cause the victim to die from time to time. I think all exorcisms carried out on children and the vulnerable should be illegal.
09-09-2017, 07:47 AM
(09-09-2017 07:39 AM)Goldenrain Wrote:  I think all exorcisms carried out on children and the vulnerable should be illegal.
Or anything "carried out on children and the vulnerable" that causes them harm and/or suffering.

09-09-2017, 07:57 AM
(09-09-2017 07:47 AM)IMtM Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 07:39 AM)Goldenrain Wrote:  I think all exorcisms carried out on children and the vulnerable should be illegal.
Or anything "carried out on children and the vulnerable" that causes them harm and/or suffering.

Agreed.
09-15-2017, 10:20 AM
If epileptics are not possessed by demons, why would Jesus believe they were- shouldn't he have known the truth of the matter? And if he knew they weren't possessed why didn't he tell everyone they weren't possessed, that it was simply an illness?

Conversely, if Jesus believed epileptics were possessed by demons doesn't that confirm- at least as far as Christians are concerned- that demonic possession is indeed at work? Why would Jesus believe something that wasn't true?

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
09-15-2017, 11:41 AM
(09-15-2017 10:20 AM)Caesar Saladin Wrote:  If epileptics are not possessed by demons, why would Jesus believe they were- shouldn't he have known the truth of the matter? And if he knew they weren't possessed why didn't he tell everyone they weren't possessed, that it was simply an illness?

Conversely, if Jesus believed epileptics were possessed by demons doesn't that confirm- at least as far as Christians are concerned- that demonic possession is indeed at work? Why would Jesus believe something that wasn't true?

Even if Jesus believed in demonic possession it was because he knew no better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Demonic possession PopeADope 28 1,688 06-25-2016 02:08 AM
Last Post: Klang
  Demonic Possession and purpose EqualAtheist 52 4,889 03-21-2012 12:50 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)