Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Expelled
11-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Expelled
YAY, im the first to do a thread here, anyways...
I was at the nearest movie rental looking for something new for movie night. I came across “Expelled” with the hilarious Ben Stein on the front cover. I gave it a try and I must say its very interesting. It has humor but it deals with a lot more such as religion, evolution and other science theories. Has anyone else seen this movie? If so, what did you think? I thought it was great!
-Kevin Umg
Here is the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4qxdVstJEc
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2008, 07:14 PM
RE: Expelled
I saw the movie with my dad when it was out in theatres. I agree with you, it is very interesting and gave me insight onto how sometimes people in the scientific look down on anyone who makes even the slightest implication of intelligent design.
11-13-2008, 12:48 PM
I admit I have not seen the movie, but I have read that it presents *many* distortions of truth as fact. Dr. Michael Shermer did an in-depth assessment of the film for his "Skeptic" magazine, which details the distortions presented by Ben Stein. You can read it here:

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/08-04-17.html#part1

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
11-25-2008, 12:50 AM
damian.hoffman Wrote:I admit I have not seen the movie, but I have read that it presents *many* distortions of truth as fact. Dr. Michael Shermer did an in-depth assessment of the film for his "Skeptic" magazine, which details the distortions presented by Ben Stein. You can read it here:

the same can be said about Richy Dawkin's "God isn't great" book.
12-17-2008, 01:33 PM
JonathanT Wrote:
damian.hoffman Wrote:I admit I have not seen the movie, but I have read that it presents *many* distortions of truth as fact. Dr. Michael Shermer did an in-depth assessment of the film for his "Skeptic" magazine, which details the distortions presented by Ben Stein. You can read it here:

the same can be said about Richy Dawkin's "God isn't great" book.

I believe "God Isn't Great" was Chris Hitchens. Dawkins was "The God Delusion."

Also, the link I provided had several examples from Expelled that were incorrect. Could you provide either examples or a link to some examples that do the same for "The God Delusion"?

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
12-17-2008, 03:44 PM
The Expelled film is a propaganda piece full of dishonest, fallacious and long since refuted arguments against the Theory of Evolution. It attempts to portray the suppression of Intelligent Design/Creationism from scientific teaching as being an infringement of academic freedom. This would only be true if it is wrong to prevent mathematicians from teaching that 2+2=5. The truth is that there is no genuine controversy about the validity of evolutionary theory among serious scientists. The religiously motivated scientists and teachers in the film who claim to have been persecuted for trying to smuggle creationist ideas into Journals and educational presentations have invariably fabricated or exaggerated their accounts as part of the propaganda exercise.

There's a website devoted to a critique of Expelled that is worth a visit for anyone who is interested.

http://www.expelledexposed.com/
12-17-2008, 10:36 PM
The problem with so-called "Christian Scientists" is that the very idea of a Christian Scientist is a misnomer.

Science works by constant trial and error, through theories and thought. The theory of evolution is just that, a theory. It may one day be proven truthful, it may one day be proven false. All scientific advances constantly are being re-thought, picked at, experimented with.

Christianity and all other religions do not rely on trial and error. They rely on a belief in something that cannot be questioned. The Bible is considered by many to be infallible, it is believed to be the absolute word of God. Therefore, Christian Science is not science. It is simply an effort to twist scientific findings to support the Bible.
12-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Christian Science is actually a religion founded in 1879 by Mary Baker Eddy. It teaches that there is no reality except mind or spirit, and insists that sin, disease and death are mere illusions, a concept that sits strangely with the fact the Mary Baker Eddy wore dentures and spectacles and frequently had morphine injections. It is a pantheistic theology, which is of course very different from Christianity's monotheism. It is therefore neither Science nor Christianity, in my opinion.
12-30-2008, 12:18 AM
(12-29-2008 10:18 PM)JonathanT Wrote:  It is therefore neither Science nor Christianity, in my opinion.

Agreed, but I'm thinking it's leaning more towards Christianity then it is science. I meant more the individuals who attempt to explain the bible with science - usually with hilarious results.

Allow me some time to look up a certain article. Could take some time, I'm afraid.

"Humanity invented religion initially to overcome the permanent loss of consciousness that occurs at death and it was then taken over by groups who use it to control other groups" - Innuendo, from Def-Logic forums.
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Well if they're deviating from actual Christian beliefs, it's not really fair to say they lean towards Christianity, now is it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)