Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fasting
07-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Fasting
Since it is the Fasting month for Muslims, let's learn what is fasting if it exist in your religion,
In Islam, We refrain from eating, Drinking, smoking, having sex, ...etc during this month starting from before sun rise to sun set

Is there fasting in your religion? how does it go?

Click Here to know more about Islam
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2013, 01:24 PM
RE: Fasting
Drinking ... anything at all or can you have water?

It seems like I read something where if you (Muslims) aren't able to fast (medically) you have other options like feeding someone in need.

Also, at what age are you and your wife introducing your kids to the fasting?
07-18-2013, 01:41 PM
I am not sure this is the same as fasting but at least once a month I will pick some thing fairly important to me and go two weeks with out it.

Last month I spent two weeks with out watching anime, the month before that it was Chocolate, and the month before that was caffiene. I felt like I was going to die when I tried to go with out caffiene.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-18-2013, 01:46 PM
The stoppation...stop--pation...stoppation... The cessation of eating a certain food is rooted in the exercise of the will. The result of fasting builds incredible psychological mastery over one's mind and its constituents. The same of extreme exercise, deprivation of the senses, or any thing which tangibly deprives you of the desires of your idea of "want".

07-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Stoppificationising.
07-18-2013, 01:48 PM
(07-18-2013 01:46 PM)IMtM Wrote:  The stoppation...stop--pation...stoppation... The cessation of eating a certain food is rooted in the exercise of the will. The result of fasting builds incredible psychological mastery over one's mind and its constituents. The same of extreme exercise, deprivation of the senses, or any thing which tangibly deprives you of the desires of your idea of "want".

Does that include remaining Chaste dispite Urges?
LoL
Or ignoring the candy isle at the grocery store?
LoL

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-18-2013, 01:59 PM
(07-18-2013 01:48 PM)Azrael17 Wrote:  
(07-18-2013 01:46 PM)IMtM Wrote:  The stoppation...stop--pation...stoppation... The cessation of eating a certain food is rooted in the exercise of the will. The result of fasting builds incredible psychological mastery over one's mind and its constituents. The same of extreme exercise, deprivation of the senses, or any thing which tangibly deprives you of the desires of your idea of "want".

Does that include remaining Chaste dispite Urges?
LoL
Or ignoring the candy isle at the grocery store?
LoL

LOL. Man, that stuff...... LOL

One's ability to control one's self is contingent upon the understanding of the faculties of one's being.

LOL I've seen the LIGHT, Jesus!!! I've seen the LIGHT.

Fight your inner will, and you are fighting a civil war inside yourself. This is what the Catholic priests failed to realize. It has to transcend the IMPORTANCE of the Ego. Force yourself to believe that which your ideology doesn't agree with; force yourself to believe that which your senses don't agree with: you WILL BE maladjusted.

07-18-2013, 02:05 PM
For Mormons, it is recommended to fast at least once a month, the first Sunday of the month, so everyone more or less fasts that day.

We are recommended to fast two meals during such a day of fasting.

The money's worth of the two meals we could have eaten is then offered as a fast offering to the Church to be distributed to the poor and those in need.

During a fast, it is expected that Latter-day Saints engage in spiritual things like prayer, scripture study, and so forth. Fasting a meal without these things is nothing. The point of fasting is to engage in an exercise of self-control, mastery of the spirit over the body. It also is a time of consecration wherein a person should try to spend his time in becoming more in-tune with God. It can be a time of service too, and through a fast offering one is consecrating the worth of the meal(s) for a good cause.

The LDS Church doesn't impose excessive fasting, but it doesn't prohibit how much one fasts either as far as I am aware.
07-18-2013, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 02:46 PM by KAYSER.)
(07-18-2013 01:24 PM)Alison2 Wrote:  Drinking ... anything at all or can you have water?

It seems like I read something where if you (Muslims) aren't able to fast (medically) you have other options like feeding someone in need.

Also, at what age are you and your wife introducing your kids to the fasting?

We don't drink anything at all even water
people don't have to fast if
they are sick
they are traveling
breast feeding
pregnant
or any other circumstances where fasting can harm them
they can fast those days another time, and if they can't, they just feed the 1 needy for everyday they missed fasting

We train kids as early as 5 years old, maybe they can fast few hours, but they don't have to fast until they reach the age of puberty

Once I was in Ethiopia, and I noticed that you can go to a restuarant and order Fasting Meal. I think during fasting they can't eat meat, milk, butter, and don't know what else

Click Here to know more about Islam
07-18-2013, 09:15 PM
(07-18-2013 12:53 PM)KAYSER Wrote:  Since it is the Fasting month for Muslims, let's learn what is fasting if it exist in your religion,
In Islam, We refrain from eating, Drinking, smoking, having sex, ...etc during this month starting from before sun rise to sun set

Is there fasting in your religion? how does it go?

First let me say that I hope your Fast is meaningful and a blessing for you...

Baha'is also have a similar fast .. that is we fast from food and drink between sunrise and sunset and we also have exemptions for people .. people who are traveling distances... people who have to do hard manual labor... people who have medical reasons for not fasting and women who are nursing or pregnant.

We are not required to do "make-ups"..that is if you have a reason for not fasting as above you do not have to make it up later.

Baha'is fast between the age of fifteen and seventy years of age.

The Baha'i fast is the last month of our year... and is based on a solar calendar so we fast from March 2 to March 20th each year. March 21st or Naw-Ruz is our New Year day.

"All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Essential Do’s and Don’ts for Ramadan Fasting Manahel.Fatima 0 815 08-01-2011 06:35 AM
Last Post: Manahel.Fatima
  Fasting for a better me faith folau 14 2,171 03-03-2011 08:38 AM
Last Post: Visqueen
  Medical benefits of fasting Ramadan sesame 0 1,284 08-25-2009 07:21 AM
Last Post: sesame
  Medical benefits of fasting Ramadan sesame 0 551 09-03-2008 03:41 AM
Last Post: sesame

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)