Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Favorite Quran interpretation
02-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Favorite Quran interpretation
What's the best (for any subjective meanings of "best") English interpretation of the Quran? Also, as a secondary question, what's the preferred transliteration: Quran, Qur'an, Koran, or does nobody care?

I don't read any Arabic, so I have no real way to evaluate the accuracy of the Quran in English. I've read Muhammad Asad's English translation and currently use Haleem's translation published by Oxford. There are lots of English translations/interpretations available and I'm curious if anyone (particularly readers of Arabic) has an opinion about any of them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2018, 02:18 PM
RE: Favorite Quran interpretation
Maybe Isa can give You a good answer, I read Arabic and I don't really the English translation unless I have to.
Regarding the name, speaking for myself, I couldn't care less. Call it Quran or Qur'an but I think the second is the most accurate because the "a" in the middle should be stressed.

Click Here to know more about Islam
02-07-2018, 02:56 PM
(02-07-2018 02:18 PM)KAYSER Wrote:  Maybe Isa can give You a good answer, I read Arabic and I don't really the English translation unless I have to.
Regarding the name, speaking for myself, I couldn't care less. Call it Quran or Qur'an but I think the second is the most accurate because the "a" in the middle should be stressed.

Thanks!
02-07-2018, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 03:06 PM by muhammad_isa.)
I tend to use "Marmaduke Pickthall" as it is concise. I read it alongside the Arabic script.
It lacks footnotes, but there are other translations to compare when you are not sure about the interpretation.

Even better, "Ibn Kathir" has several volumes on Qur'an interpretation (Tafsir). An English translation is available.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.
02-07-2018, 08:09 PM
(02-07-2018 03:03 PM)muhammad_isa Wrote:  I tend to use "Marmaduke Pickthall" as it is concise. I read it alongside the Arabic script.
It lacks footnotes, but there are other translations to compare when you are not sure about the interpretation.

Even better, "Ibn Kathir" has several volumes on Qur'an interpretation (Tafsir). An English translation is available.

Thanks for both suggestions. I always worried that Pickthall's and Asad's translations were popular in the West simply because they were Europeans, but I wasn't really in a position to judge their merits myself. I also thought that Asad had a tendency to seek less violent interpretations than other translations for a number of verses and I was worried that he was sanitizing things for European consumption.
02-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Once I heard a convert say, if you really want to understand the Quran, you should read at least 3 translations

Click Here to know more about Islam
02-08-2018, 11:28 AM
It strikes me that the info in this thread is really important and might help many other posters. I'm going to sticky this thread so it doesn't get lost.
02-10-2018, 12:58 AM
Baha'is don't really have a favorite translation of the Qur'an but personally I like the translation by Muhammad Asad. It's notation is complete and just has a resonance for me. After that I like A. Yusuf Ali. It's also well annotated.

"All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree."
02-10-2018, 04:07 AM
(02-10-2018 12:58 AM)arthra Wrote:  Baha'is don't really have a favorite translation of the Qur'an but personally I like the translation by Muhammad Asad. It's notation is complete and just has a resonance for me. After that I like A. Yusuf Ali. It's also well annotated.

It's funny that you say that, because I rather felt the same way. It reads so easily in English that I was afraid it was too much of a paraphrase. Plus, I like the physical book. My Asad copy is a huge hardcover that I got from CAIR ten or so years ago and the bulk helps me feel like I'm reading something profound. My Oxford edition is electronic. It's easier to refer to and look things up, but doesn't feel the same to read.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My interpretation is the best interpretation weinerslav 51 2,333 03-21-2014 01:19 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  inquiry regarding the need of interpretation of bible, koran, etc. lusthansa 6 998 11-10-2012 07:12 PM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME
  Interpretation question mbrunick 10 1,527 04-17-2012 12:15 PM
Last Post: chucknance
  Quran Leaning: Understanding Quran Is What It Takes To Be A Momin! Manahel.Fatima 10 2,166 06-08-2011 10:46 AM
Last Post: IMtM
  New Interpretation of the story of Adam and Eve Ishwa 0 723 11-28-2009 10:18 AM
Last Post: Ishwa

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)