Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Favorite religious/spiritual systems you would submit to if you had the choice?
07-06-2013, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 06:34 PM by shiverleaf15.)
Favorite religious/spiritual systems you would submit to if you had the choice?
I was wondering, supposing you wanted to submit to some religious or spiritual system of belief and/or practice, do you have any ideas what you would submit to?

For example, even though I am a Theist, I have speculated that if I weren't LDS and could convert freely, I would want to be a Quaker or a Holiness Christian or Baha'i or Quranist Muslim or maybe a Buddhist (Jain more so, minus the rigor maybe?)

Am I the only one who does this? Haha, I don't know actually. I was just wondering what you guys would say.

It could be based on appealing ideas, practices, pietistic attitudes maybe, or the promise of an appealing outcome if you follow through, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 07:00 PM by rocketboy9000.)
RE: Favorite religious/spiritual systems you would submit to if you had the choice?
Shintoism, because their mythology is so rich and there are so many interesting traditions. Paganism, for pretty much the same reasons.
07-06-2013, 08:17 PM
RE: Favorite religious/spiritual systems you would submit to if you had the choice?
I would probably go with Paganism, as it makes the most sense to me.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
07-06-2013, 08:25 PM
When you guys each say "Paganism" what exactly do you mean?
07-06-2013, 09:36 PM
(07-06-2013 06:33 PM)shiverleaf15 Wrote:  I was wondering, supposing you wanted to submit to some religious or spiritual system of belief and/or practice, do you have any ideas what you would submit to?

For example, even though I am a Theist, I have speculated that if I weren't LDS and could convert freely, I would want to be a Quaker or a Holiness Christian or Baha'i or Quranist Muslim or maybe a Buddhist (Jain more so, minus the rigor maybe?)

Am I the only one who does this? Haha, I don't know actually. I was just wondering what you guys would say.

It could be based on appealing ideas, practices, pietistic attitudes maybe, or the promise of an appealing outcome if you follow through, etc.

Your not the only one who contemplates that. Back when I still believed in Organized Religion and Mainstream Christianity I felt like I was missing some thing. That is when I started researching other Philosophical systems and Theological systems. Before I was even part of the way into my still ongoing research I started having those Revelations which over the course of several years changed how I viewed the World and God.

I am not sure but if I was in the market for a new faith which I am not, it would have to be some thing Spiritual but not one of those secret societies, I don't like that sort of thing I think wisdom should be shared with every one, not kept to a tight group. I think if I where whipped clean like a chalk board but left with my personality intact then I would end up choosing Paganism. I would prefer some thing Spiritual and not necessarily religious.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-07-2013, 12:14 AM
(07-06-2013 08:25 PM)shiverleaf15 Wrote:  When you guys each say "Paganism" what exactly do you mean?
Generally I agree with Satyros' definition of the term: Broadly, the indigenous religions of the European peoples.
07-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Some of those religions and customs (from what little we actually know of them) are pretty damned distinct, and a lot of what is referred to as "paganism" are modern creations rather than any indigenous survival.
07-07-2013, 01:50 PM
(07-06-2013 08:25 PM)shiverleaf15 Wrote:  When you guys each say "Paganism" what exactly do you mean?

I go by the broadest definition that can be thought of. Just the idea that there are many different gods. So I would mix them all for my belief system. As all explain a great many things, and answer all questions that can ever be asked from a faith point of view. Why is there evil? Cause some gods are evil. Why do good things happen to bad people and vice versa? Because the gods play some roles in peoples lives, and effect them in ways, that they can influence. What are the origin of the gods? Unknown, as the origin of any. It, is what makes the most sense. Plus, belief in them, does not condemn, or reward you in anyway in the afterlife. What you do, and not what you believe, determines your worth. Thus, if I had to choose a belief system, it would be the one, or combination of some, that make the most sense.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
07-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Ah that's cool Equal. So general polytheism is what you mean.

I had to ask because that word, "Paganism", can be defined so many ways. Like for Rocket it means what it means to Satyros.
07-07-2013, 06:27 PM
The furthest I would go would be panentheism. I really can't come to terms with the concept of a personal god that created the entire universe but is explicitly concerned with what foods I eat or what types of fabric I wear or who I choose to have sex with.

He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how. - Nietzsche

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is theism a choice? Spiny Norman 66 3,771 11-26-2015 06:59 AM
Last Post: GuardianWitch
  What are some of your spiritual practices or religious rituals? Azoth 5 595 08-22-2015 07:43 AM
Last Post: Spiny Norman
  Not having a choice in what you believe? HeathenHero95 5 750 10-26-2014 02:19 PM
Last Post: Stovepipe_Hat
Question Bad Choice franszwa 1 587 12-31-2013 02:43 AM
Last Post: Visqueen
  Does God do Satan’s work in removing our free choice? Greatest I am 30 4,387 05-10-2012 08:04 AM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME
  Religion, Inflence and Choice of President Bizalou 7 1,014 04-18-2012 06:59 PM
Last Post: thomasj6299
  Implications for ethics of the choice differences between deism,monotheism,polytheism YesWeCan 3 1,260 09-29-2011 02:27 PM
Last Post: WhiteNova
  What you like about other religions/belief systems Medusa 8 1,212 09-20-2011 12:53 AM
Last Post: Medusa
  Favorite Spiritual/Religious Songs ImmortalPhoenix 67 7,095 04-06-2011 10:26 AM
Last Post: wordsworth
  the right choice? MRlogic 42 4,376 02-26-2011 07:30 PM
Last Post: MRlogic

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)