Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Forum Suggestion
07-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Forum Suggestion
I suggest a sub forum for the "General Chat" forum titled "The Arena." This sub-forum would be dedicated to two ends:

1. Debates that have become arguments, for when two users are not ready to "give up" and the discussion has spun off-topic from the specific thread. This would allow arguments to run out of steam in an isolated forum, while still being publicly viewed and subject to forum rules.

2. Structured, judged debates in which two users debate a given topic, provide opening statements, then two or three counter-statements, closing statements, and then pre-designated Judges (perhaps some of the Mods) declare one side the "Winner" of the given debate.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2013, 12:02 AM
RE: Forum Suggestion
(07-12-2013 11:56 PM)Satyros Wrote:  I suggest a sub forum for the "General Chat" forum titled "The Arena." This sub-forum would be dedicated to two ends:

1. Debates that have become arguments, for when two users are not ready to "give up" and the discussion has spun off-topic from the specific thread. This would allow arguments to run out of steam in an isolated forum, while still being publicly viewed and subject to forum rules.

2. Structured, judged debates in which two users debate a given topic, provide opening statements, then two or three counter-statements, closing statements, and then pre-designated Judges (perhaps some of the Mods) declare one side the "Winner" of the given debate.

I like this idea.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
Find all posts by this user
07-13-2013, 12:06 AM
A few years ago we talked about having a structured debate, It was debated for a long time, so it never got off the ground
but I will forward your request to the Administer. Both are very good Ideas but I think the Judges should be agreed upon by the debaters as we all have our different degrees of tolerance and expertise, if you know what I mean
07-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Very much so. When I tried running debates on another chat forum site, there were many cries that the judges were playing favorites when a ruling was given.

07-13-2013, 12:20 AM
If your going to use a judge system I would make the judges open minded people who are not biased one way or the other. I think that would be fair.

I think its a good idea if you work out some sort of system that seems fair.
I think it could help keep certain threads on topic and when a debate starts that could derail a thread they could move it there instead.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-13-2013, 12:25 AM
For the structured debates, there would have to be "rules." One post per address, sources when applicable, limited number of addresses before final statements are given. Then the judges would decide based on general prose, handling of the topics, presentation of facts, etc etc.

07-13-2013, 02:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2013 02:30 AM by shiverleaf15.)
I have been thinking about asking for this as of recent too. I don't think General Religion is a good place where you can have religion-on-religion specific debates. And if other too-specific debates take over a certain thread, they tend to consume the thread and then no one else joins.

So I agree with Sat and Az, I think this would be a nice idea. I'm not sure about the judges thing, or what the rules should be, except of course, no personal attacks, no offensive language at a person, no meanness, etc.
07-13-2013, 04:37 AM
(07-13-2013 12:06 AM)Yefet Wrote:  A few years ago we talked about having a structured debate, It was debated for a long time, so it never got off the ground
but I will forward your request to the Administer. Both are very good Ideas but I think the Judges should be agreed upon by the debaters as we all have our different degrees of tolerance and expertise, if you know what I mean

Didn't we try this and poor PK had to frustratingly moderate something that wasn't working? I like the idea but I think it should be a continuos work in progress. The rules should be clear and thorough to help the judge.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence - Me
07-13-2013, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2013 10:54 AM by Yefet.)
How about we follow the forum rules then the entire forum votes on the outcome at some point as a poll when both party's have made their case ?
it can still be a formal agreed upon debate but no one would be stuck, I mean given the honor of being the judge
07-13-2013, 11:43 AM
I think that is a very good idea, as the point of a debate is to change minds.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A suggestion... The_Squid 2 436 08-08-2016 10:48 PM
Last Post: KAYSER
  Suggestion/Question Fender 6 878 12-05-2011 08:20 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)