Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Free Will
12-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Free Will
Do we have free will? That is, can we choose freely from the alternatives presented to us?

If we do, how can God be Omniscient?

If we don't, why does God hold us accountable for our actions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2008, 02:13 PM
RE: Free Will
I'm in the middle of something, but I wanted to throw this in before I lose my trian of thought.

In my opinion, based on what I believe as a Christian, yes, we have free will. We have the freedom of choice in all things. God has a plan for our lives, but each choice we make affects how His plan plays out.

God is omniscient, but He doesn't micro-manage. Hence, free will. If God forced me to make the choices He wants me to make, free will is obsolete.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
12-18-2008, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2008 03:54 PM by Anglican.)
Personally, I find freewill puzzling quite independently of its implications for theism.

For example, if you ask somebody wht he did something, he can either say, "I don't know," and then have Richard Dawkins, or some other worshipper of high rationality, accuse him of being irrational, or else he can give a reason. In the latter case he is enounciating what CAUSED him to make his decision. Apart from the concrete situation he finds himself in, there will be other factors in play as well, such as his psychological make up, but the question remains: To what extent was he free to act independently of those causal factors? I don't know the answer to that.

If we had a better understanding of free will we might be better placed to understand how it meshes with God's omniscience.

If it is real, free will means that in our own tiny way, we can be an uncaused cause. Rightly or wrongly, it is usually only God who is reckoned to have that ability.
12-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I believe we have free will. If God preplanned everything we did, it would be like we were nothing more machines performing the tasks we are told to do. That being said, I do think that God does try to guide us and sometimes things happen for a reason. In the end though it's up to us to interpret what we believe we should do.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
not all people have free will so to speak,thats why the blood suckers produce advertisements.feed on your frailties.lovely money blood suckers they are.

Good evil salvation
12-19-2008, 10:34 AM
I think we have free will.
12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Anglican Wrote:In the latter case he is enounciating what CAUSED him to make his decision. Apart from the concrete situation he finds himself in, there will be other factors in play as well, such as his psychological make up, but the question remains: To what extent was he free to act independently of those causal factors? I don't know the answer to that.
If I let a random number generator chose for me, the decision would be independent of my makeup. The simplest random number generator is a coin toss but, at least theoretically, its final position is determined by the initial toss. I'll try to think up something that is a true random generator.

Quote:If we had a better understanding of free will we might be better placed to understand how it meshes with God's omniscience.

If it is real, free will means that in our own tiny way, we can be an uncaused cause. Rightly or wrongly, it is usually only God who is reckoned to have that ability.
Thank you for pointing this out. I had never thought of those implications.
12-22-2008, 05:42 AM
(12-19-2008 12:50 PM)Messenger Wrote:  I'll try to think up something that is a true random generator.

Good luck. True random is pretty much impossible, though I can't back up that statement. Give me a couple hours to form some sort of order of thought. Until then, have this.

It claims to be truly random. I dunno for sure. More to come.
12-22-2008, 11:01 AM
(12-22-2008 05:42 AM)Mr_Redneck Wrote:  
(12-19-2008 12:50 PM)Messenger Wrote:  I'll try to think up something that is a true random generator.

Good luck. True random is pretty much impossible, though I can't back up that statement. Give me a couple hours to form some sort of order of thought. Until then, have this.

It claims to be truly random. I dunno for sure. More to come.

You're right. I should have said "better" rather than "true". Random.org is an excellent industrial-strength random number generator. But, unfortunately, my philosophical argument requires true randomness.
12-22-2008, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2008 04:20 PM by smellycat.)
free will looks a falsehood,if we talk with there words.and i believe christians are used .for him to have followers,he has to make us look stupid.and then when it seems we are controlled people shift alliance.as God said let your yes mean yes and your no mean no.i picked on alison when i first came onto the forum,and picked on her words.i,m sorry alison for doing so,but this is a spiritual war.
also when you talk to athiests or non,believing,there words are very christian,i think this is why they get on in life,mimic so to speak.unknown obviously.this proves of a higher spirit war,we are involved in.

Good evil salvation

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)