Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Global warming and religion
01-27-2010, 03:20 AM
Hi!
I and some of my classmates are doing a project on global warming at school. Our teacher want us to (if possible) combine this with religion. This is why I'm posting on this forum; what do you think of global warming from your religious view?
Thanks for all answers
Regards Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2010, 04:48 AM
RE: Global warming and religion
prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=06&year=2007&base_name=global_warming_and_religion

you have there all what you need
01-27-2010, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2010 12:57 PM by GTseng3.)
Do you go to a religious school? I've generally found that it's best to tell teachers what they want to hear.

America remains as one of the few nations that actively denies global warming (China and Australia being the other big ones, though I hear Australia is getting better). America is also the only first world nation where religion (in this case, Christianity) has a direct influence over government and law (although many other first world nations are "Christian Nations" in terms of culture and majority of people, only in America do you get this idea that we are a Christian nation, and that faith is a legitimate argument in the government.)

American Christians have a strange idea that their particular religion has more truth than science. And I'm not talking about the Bible. I'm talking about all the different interpretations of the Bible that they have. For instance, the Catholic church, faced with overwhelming evidence, has admitted that evolution is a possibility, and that it in no way contradicts the Bible. They are right about that, as far as it goes. If you take Genesis as a metaphor (and keep in mind many parts of the Bible are metaphoric) then evolution fits. And yet Christian fundamentalists in America continue to campaign against evolution, trying to kick it out of schools. Does it contradict the Bible? No. It contradicts their particular interpretation of the Bible.

Global warming is much the same way. Now, unlike evolution, the science behind Global Warming is not nearly so solid. Our models are flawed, and everyone acknowledges this. This is why the deniers can find quotes of scientists saying that Global Warming is not proven. But that's not the issue here. The issue is that even though we do not know, we have to make a decision. Because by the time we know for certain, it will be too late. Global warming is not proven, but it is a pretty solid theory. It certainly looks as if the earth is warming (NASA just released a new study showing conclusively that this past decade was the hottest on record, by a large margin,) and it certainly looks like this warming is man-made. That being the case, scientists have said that we should do something, because we simply cannot afford to wait until the science is rock solid.
Most of the world has accepted this, especially third-world nations that are watching their resources dry up (the Darfur crisis in Africa can be directly linked to shrinking water supplies, for instance.) But America has not accepted this. Under George W. Bush, who was an outspoken fundamentalist Christian, America made it clear that they would not enact any legislation or take any steps to alleviate global warming. Even under Barack Obama, a vocal supporter of environmental legislation, the Copenhagen summit on global warming was a huge failure, accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Why is this? Why, when faced with the single biggest crisis in history which could literally lead to a post-apocalyptic earth with dwindling resources and mass extinction, do Americans especially not want to do anything that inconveniences them?

Personally, I think it is because of the reputation of science. Religion has done a hit job on science in this country. Liars like Ken Ham and Kent Hovind have tried to deny evolution (especially), and pro-lifers who do not know the difference between an embryo and a fetus have blocked stem cell research. Scientists have been painted as these otherworldly, amoral creatures who care nothing for the consequences of their work, when really they're just people who happen to have extensive knowledge of their fields. Because of this, science has a bad reputation, and when you have major oil corporations with agents in the White House altering scientific reports, and when the only way to fix the problem is to do things that are inconvenient and costly, it's easy for Americans to reject science once again.

Plus, there's a large group of fundamentalist Christians who have a very short-sighted view of the world. These are especially the fundamentalists who believe the earth was created 6,000 years ago, more or less as it is now. These people also generally believe that Jesus is going to return before the decade is out. Why should they care about the planet? According to their religion, there has never been any major climate change and the ice-core drills that show how major climate changes bring about extinction events are just invented by a lying global science conspiracy (how scientists, who often fight very vocally with each other when they disagree, could ever unite into a global conspiracy is something they never talk about). They further think that the Ice Caps melting before the end of the century is not a problem, because Jesus is going to come back soon. Probably in 2012. But at least not long.

In a normal situation you could laugh at them, but in this situation they are making up a majority of Americans and they are quite possibly dooming the rest of the world to a bleak future. Religion does not have to be bad (again, look at how the Catholic Church has finally begun embracing science since Pope John Paul II.) But in America, it often is.

Hope that helps.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
(01-27-2010 03:20 AM)Reactions Wrote:  Hi!
I and some of my classmates are doing a project on global warming at school. Our teacher want us to (if possible) combine this with religion. This is why I'm posting on this forum; what do you think of global warming from your religious view?
Thanks for all answers
Regards Martin

Martin are you sitting down at your desk?
good
you may not like all of what you read here... Sad
http://www.religionforums.org/thread-1670.html

but it certainly speaks volumes across SpaceTime. Angel

namaste

NATURE cannot be HIDDEN only VEILeD with NARRATIVES that defy NATURE

CodeX4 and the Reconciliation of Science and Religion
http://kachina2012.wordpress.com/about/
02-16-2010, 06:33 AM
My feeling is that if the developed countries can't lead the world in refining and improving non-fossil fuel sources of energy, to the extent that they become economically viable then we are screwed in the long term. If, however, it's just always about a political party making popular short term decisions to ensure they make it through the next election cycle then yes we have to stick to the more economically workable and traditional fossil fuels.Along with health indoctrination, math indoctrination, spelling indoctrination, history indoctrination, science indoctrination, citizenship indoctrination,morality indoctrination and other essential indoctrinations, it enables them to become complete human beings.
02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure I'd compare the science of evolution to that of global warming. If anything, I think the relevance of religion to global warming is that atheists and others who want to be modern, rational people feel like they can trust any science that is antagonistic to the often incorrect right wing. That's sort of how I felt. Now I'm not so sure.
02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Here is some information from the Islamic perspective. I think the following verses are relevant to the issue even though the language is fairly broad:

"The sun and the moon move according to a fixed reckoning; and the stars and trees submit to Him. He has raised the heaven high and set up the measure, that you may not transgress the measure. So weigh all things in justice and fall not short of measure." (Al Quran 55:6-9)

Here are links to some articles:
http://www.reviewofreligions.org/downloa...pdf#page=2
http://www.reviewofreligions.org/downloa...df#page=36
http://www.reviewofreligions.org/downloa...df#page=50

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
02-17-2010, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2010 09:30 AM by Raphael.)
there was already a thread discussing global warming and religion.
And the smoking gun/s called SUPERNOVAs that expose this contrived ruse.

http://www.religionforums.org/thread-1670.html
Why do supernova events coincide with turning points in HIS-story manipulated by popes and kings like james?

whenever the herd of ewe folks are ready to crawl out from under your rocks...I await a decent discussion about these mini-big bangs that harm our OZONE.
with baited breath I await ewe.
ruach kadosh

some of ewe can just go back to shleep till the next mini-big bang wakes your inner you up.

namaste

NATURE cannot be HIDDEN only VEILeD with NARRATIVES that defy NATURE

CodeX4 and the Reconciliation of Science and Religion
http://kachina2012.wordpress.com/about/
02-18-2010, 01:23 AM
(02-16-2010 07:14 PM)Ahmadi Wrote:  Here is some information from the Islamic perspective. I think the following verses are relevant to the issue even though the language is fairly broad:

"The sun and the moon move according to a fixed reckoning; and the stars and trees submit to Him. He has raised the heaven high and set up the measure, that you may not transgress the measure. So weigh all things in justice and fall not short of measure." (Al Quran 55:6-9)

Here are links to some articles:
http://www.reviewofreligions.org/downloa...pdf#page=2
http://www.reviewofreligions.org/downloa...df#page=36
http://www.reviewofreligions.org/downloa...df#page=50

How could a 7th century illiterate possibly have anything of any relevance whatsoever to say about GLOBAL WARMING in the 21st century.
02-18-2010, 03:53 AM
well one thing is for sure ,the bible was right when it said that the earth would be being ruined , but no worries, the God of the bible is going to bring to ruin those ruining the earth as revelation 11;18 informs us .

its being ruined in more ways than one , and the earthly society of people on the earth are also being ruined , morally, and in ruining the litral planet .

when the book of revelation was wrote down it wasnt known at that time just how ruined the earth would become , but oh dear how true those words are Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Global warming, the destruction of Earth StarStuff 23 1,844 03-26-2014 03:07 PM
Last Post: Scientist
  Critical Facts About Global Warming alexthomsan 2 1,218 01-04-2010 10:49 AM
Last Post: GTseng3

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)