Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
God Channel
01-21-2010, 09:21 PM
God Channel
I don't know where else to comment on this.

WTF!?! The antichrist will come from Europe, specifically Romania, because it has the word 'Roman' in it?!?!?!?

I should not be watching this...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2010, 09:51 PM
RE: God Channel
Ah, that's the Tim LaHaye theory, as presented in Left Behind.

Which is an utter crock of BS. Even if you believe in the whole pre-millennial dispensationalist rapture hootenanny (which has absolutely no real backing in scripture, and can only be arrived at through tortuous logic-twisting and taking loads of verses out of context,) the Left Behind series still gets it wrong.

My favorite anti-christ theory is that he'll be a Hapsburg. It has to do with the idea that the AC theoretically will come from the lost tribe of Dan (taken from a verse ripped completely from any context,) and that according to certain conspiracy theories ("supported" by other verses ripped entirely from their contexts and certain historical myths) the tribe of Dan ended up marrying into the Hapsburg line. Despite having nothing to recommend it, I still like this theory because you can imagine the Hapsburgs actually pulling off a "take-over-the-world" thing.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-21-2010, 10:10 PM
(01-21-2010 09:21 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  I don't know where else to comment on this.

WTF!?! The antichrist will come from Europe, specifically Romania, because it has the word 'Roman' in it?!?!?!?

I should not be watching this...
You have got to be kidding me.
01-21-2010, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2010 10:19 PM by Zagreus.)
It was on End of Days, but the guy did say he had said it on LB before, so I think that's the right guy.

I've been sticking up for religion/theology as a branch of philosophy on an atheist forum, for which I've taken a bit of flak. I was saying it's not all about the literalist fundamentalist ideas. God Channel makes me wish I hadn't bothered.

I'm trying to find the name of an Italian film I saw as a kid, where a Catholic priest has to find the location of the antichrist by living a depraved life via heavy metal, but I just can't remember enough about it to find it. Brilliant film though. I'll recommend it in the film section when I track it down.
Holy B, no I'm not.
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2010 10:24 PM by Holy Babylon.)
That Romanian thing, it has nothing to do with connection with the Bible when you think about it. What kind of people are they putting on TV these days? Even on these preachy channels...
01-21-2010, 11:01 PM
I wish I'd taken in his arguement, but I was a little stunned. As GT said, it is a quote in Daniel where this comes from. I'll find it and quote it, as it's brilliant.
01-22-2010, 01:35 AM
It's the exact same quote that Tim LaHaye uses in the Left Behind series to prove how the antichrist has to be from Romania. Because he's a Roman, get it?

Too many people are already thinking the LB series is serious philosophy. If you ever want to waste a whole lot of time plumbing the infinite depths of just how twisted the LB eschatology is, this is a fantastic website for it. I will warn you, this is literally a page by page analysis. It has been years of blog posts, and he's barely into book 2 of the series. It is an exhaustive critique of the minds of the authors, LB eschatology, and the whole pop apocalypse culture of modern fundamentalist evangelicals.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
I just googled LaHaye, and it was him on the program I was watching. It's actually astounding people take him seriously. I mean Icke is a bit of a stretch, but this guy?!?

It's sad really. People like Gandhi and Martin Luther King are killed, yet this guy walks around.
01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Oh, LaHaye is one of the guys, along with Falwell, Pat Robertson, and others, who have utterly shaped radical evangelical fundamentalism (and the Republican Party) in this country. The "Moral Majority," the "Religious Right," all of that stuff. Not a conspiracy per se, but a bunch of popular (and insane) preachers who have shaped the right wing in America.

01-22-2010, 09:43 AM
That's the scary thing about it. Whilst it's easy for me to watch it on TV and find it amusing, as it has no real impact on my life, it is quite a serious issue where you are. What these guys are saying is as dangerous as Islamic extremism, for example.

This is LaHaye's views on homosexuality, taken from wiki:

Quote:In 1978 LaHaye published The Unhappy Gays , which was later retitled What Everyone Should Know About Homosexuality. The book called homosexuals "militant, organized" and "vile." The Unhappy Gays also argues that gays share 16 pernicious traits, including "incredible promiscuity," "deceit," "selfishness," "vulnerability to sadism-masochism" and "poor health and an early death."

It's a massive step backwards in thinking for our species, like having medieval beliefs again.

I came accross an interesting statistic when at uni. In the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Human Evolution it stated that something like over 70% of Americans don't believe in evolution. I was quite shocked the stat was that high.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)