Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
God Is Time.
06-18-2008, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2008 11:03 AM by Maple_Syrup.)
God Is Time.
If you integrate time from zero to to infinity. What would you get? God.
Life started in this world around 3 billion years ago. It took around 1.5 billion years of probability, trial and error for the first living cell to have formed. If you integrate those 1.5 billion years, the result would be the creation of life in it.
Through another 3 billion years, life on this earth evolved from single celled animals into more complex multicellular species such as plants, animals and mammals, etc. and finally humans evolved. This was achieved through, again, billions of years of trial and error of mutation and the species that fits best goes on and what doesnt fit best gets extinct.
So through time all things get created and destroyed and nothing exists without time.
When humans evolved, they acquired the ability to remember and the ability to reason; to go back in time and speculate. Plus, they acquired the ability to record time by having the ability to write, draw, etc. So they recorded time in terms of events that happened. i.e. History. As time passed by and humans went on living,more history gets accumulated. Humans read this history and learn from it, and they add more to it each day they live.
Through hundreds or thousands of years of human civilization and history making, humans have come to a realization; that if you integrate all the time that has passed by, or if you summarize all the history that has passed, you come to the conclusion that anything can happen, anything (storms, river floods, invasions, inventions, miracles, death, droughts, disease and the total opposite can also happen too).
They also realized that history (recorded time) can only exist if humans remain alive as a species, and that humans wouldnt be what they are today if it wasn't for all the history that passed, or the time that passed.
So some humans somehow inherently understood that there is a greater reason to living than just for the sake of living. That not only do we exist in time. Time is recorded in our memories and we know that time created us and made us what we are today, we learn from time and it exists through us becuase we acknowledge it, we know its there. we are aware of time and we preserve it through our memory. So in order for history or time to survive, we have to survive.
That is when the religions got created. This understanding of time manifested into the creation of God, heaven and hell, justice, etc. Notice how most religions revolve around the importance for all of us or a specific human race to survive in harmony and to help each other survive. That suicide is a sin. Or causing harm to others is also a sin. Or eating some kind of food might be sinful because it might have poisoned some people from past experience.
So this is what matters: surviving, all humans together, to contribute to time and also for time can survive in us.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2008, 08:24 PM
RE: God Is Time.
So religion is a survival tool. Interesting concept. It makes sense. If you think about it, everything humans do seems to be a survival tool. (at least for the most part)

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-13-2008, 04:12 PM
The problem is that we do not really even know what time is. So to say that God is time does not really define god any further. It would be just as ambiguous as saying that God is God. Time is just way too abstract. You cannot directly know what it is...
07-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Time is a man-made concept. There is no such thing as "time." Who remembers history class?! Even time zones were created just so the railroads could run their trains on schedule.

Has no one seen Inherit The Wind? Description: Teacher B.T. Cates is arrested for teaching Darwin's theories. Famous lawyer Henry Drummond defends him; fundamentalist politician Matthew Brady prosecutes. Here is a passage:

Drummond: It's sad that we don't all have your positive knowledge of what is right and wrong, Mr. Brady. How old do you think this rock is?

Brady: I am more interested in the "Rock of Ages" than I am in the age of rocks.

Drummond: Dr. Paige of Oberlin College tells me this rock is at least 10 million years old.

Brady: Well, well, Colonel Drummond, you managed to speak here some of that scientific testimony, after all.

Drummond: Look, Mr. Brady. These are the fossil remains of a marine prehistoric creature found in this very county, and which lived here millions of years ago when these very mountain ranges were submerged in water.

Brady: I know. The Bible gives a fine account of the flood. But your Professor's a little mixed up in his dates. That rock is not more than six thousand years old.

Drummond: How do ya know?

Brady: A fine biblical scholar, Bishop Usher, has determined for us the exact date and hour of the Creation. It occurred in the year 4004 B.C.

Drummond: Well, that's Bishop Usher's opinion.

Brady: It's not an opinion. It's a literal fact -- which the good Bishop arrived at through careful computation of the ages of the prophets, as set down in the Old Testament. In fact, he determined that the Lord began the Creation on the 23rd of October, 4004 B.C. at, uh, 9:00am.

Drummond: [Is] that Eastern Standard Time? Or Rocky Mountain Time? It wasn't Daylight Saving Time, was it, because the Lord didn't make the sun until the fourth day.

Brady: That is correct.

Drummond: That first day, what do you think, it was 24 hours long?

Brady: [The] Bible says it was a day.

Drummond: Well, there was no sun out. How do you know how long it was?

Brady: The Bible says it was a day!

Drummond: Well, was it a normal day, a literal day, 24 hour day?

Brady: I don't know.

Drummond: What do you think?

Brady: I do not think about things that I do not think about.

Drummond: Do you ever think about things that you do thing about?! Isn't it possible that it could have been 25 hours? There's no way to measure it; no way to tell. Could it have been 25 hours?!

Brady: It's possible.

Drummond: Then you interpret that the first day as recorded in the Book of Genesis could've been a day of indeterminate length.

Brady: I mean to state that it is not necessarily a 24 hour day.

Drummond: It could've been 30 hours, could've been a week, could've been a month, could've been a year, could've been a hundred years, or it could've been 10 million years!!

Don't expect me to cry for all the reasons you had to die.
Don't ever ask your love of me.
Don't expect me to cry.
Don't expect me to lie.
Don't expect me to die for thee.
--"Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam"
10-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Time exists whether we acknowledge it or not. If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, it still makes a sound.

Maple_Syrup Wrote:If you integrate time from zero to to infinity. What would you get? God.

Is that supposed to be an equation? And also to integrate something, you need something else to integrate it into.
10-29-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't think that God is time so much. If you say it like that it insinuates that God is nothing but time. He is just a measurement of human lives and their passing.

But then again maybe that is all He is, I don't believe so I can quite happily say that God is this blah blah blah without feeling guilty or as though I'm going to be spited! Wink
11-08-2008, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2008 11:54 PM by JonathanT.)
First I would like to make a comment: religion was never "created", so to speak. If you do some research on the history of society, you'll learn that there was NOT a single society (tribe, clan, country, etc.) that did not have some sort of faith/belief system. There were absolutely no self-made societies that were completely athestic. All of them followed the path of some sort of belief system: monism, monotheism, pantheism, mysticism, etc. Apparently, the idea of "God" or "gods" or any type of supernatural beings was somehow burned into our brains, meaning we have a 'natural instinct' to believe in the supernatural. Furthermore, I don't know of a single person who wasn't "religious" so to speak as a child. Even Charles Darwin believed in God as a youngster(before he got swept up with his own theories)

Secondly, I don't believe God is time. God is outside of our linear time (and space); time is really, in theory, just a measurement that judges how long something has taken to transpire. Time (and space) is also a limitter which stops us from dwelling in reality forever, so technically that means that, in order for God to exist 'forever', he'd have to be outside of time (and space).
11-10-2008, 12:35 PM
JonathanT Wrote:Furthermore, I don't know of a single person who wasn't "religious" so to speak as a child.

And now you do! Nice to meet you. Wink

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
12-14-2008, 10:12 PM
If Time = God, and Einstein effectively proved that Space and Time are the same, then does that mean that God = Space Time? And if Space Time was created with the Big Bang, does that mean that God = The Universe?

Maple_Syrup Wrote:<snip>

http://descartes1979.blogspot.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-15-2008, 12:58 AM
JonathanT Wrote:Secondly, I don't believe God is time. God is outside of our linear time (and space); time is really, in theory, just a measurement that judges how long something has taken to transpire. Time (and space) is also a limitter which stops us from dwelling in reality forever, so technically that means that, in order for God to exist 'forever', he'd have to be outside of time (and space).

Yes, God is not time, God created time. What we know as time is finite, because as you said it had a beginning. God has no beginning, and like JonathanT said, He exists outside of time. Just as He created the physical world, he created time.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)