Woman
Neither
Both Man and Woman
Man and Woman yet still Neither
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
God - Man or Woman?
05-16-2008, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2008 10:46 PM by God Rocks.)
God - Man or Woman?
God is usually refered to as a man, but is he? Do you think he/she is a man, a woman, niether, both?

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2008, 04:38 AM
RE: God - Man or Woman?
Both men and women. Taken in the context of our universe, cosidering both the physical and the mind, nature can show us that life on our planet was supposed to have both genders. Union and understanding between the two genders is essential within the mechanism of life, with a few exceptions. You can see this in nature everywhere on earth, and you could even think in the context of the universe or verses if you wanted to.

50/50
05-17-2008, 10:06 PM
This is a difficult question. I have always thought of God as a man, because of the Trinity-the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. At the same time, since we were created in His image it would seem that He has to be both male and female, since we human beings are both male and female. Even so, I can really only think of God as male. However, God could be neither. We really don't know.
Find all posts by this user
05-18-2008, 04:31 PM
It seems to me that God is usually referred to as a man simply because society has a tendency to use the male version of words. (It wouldn't be uncommon to say to a group, even of all girls, "come on guys, lets go", or to refer to humans as man kind)

It could also be that until fairly recently men were generally considered superior, which means people would have a tendency to see the all powerful God as what they considered to be the more powerful gender.

I don't see why God would need a gender at all. It's not like he (or she) needs to reproduce and in the end that's the only point of having separate genders.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
05-19-2008, 02:39 AM
If one chooses to accept the creator-god conceptually, then one has to pretty much rule-out gender as an issue. God, were it to exist, would have no need of reproductive organs, being as there is only one God and it exists throughout and beyond time. This is a difficult concept for people, as the only example of truly genderless life on earth is microbial. Sex exists to transfer genetic blueprints, and God, were it real, would have no need for such mechanisms.
05-20-2008, 05:46 AM
Thinking conceptually, true.
05-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Wink RE: God - Man or Woman?
God Rocks Wrote:God is usually refered to as a man, but is he? Do you think he/she is a man, a woman, niether, both?

The Bible specifically notes that God is a Spirit, and is neither male nor female because God is not human. Humans are merely physical representations of aspects of God's qualities--some of his qualities are more dominant in nature while other qualities are secondary. For instance, the Bible states that God's dominant quality is Love--that God IS Love--and yet we also learn that God has other qualities such as patience, long-suffering, and so on, but as far as sex regarding procreation, as humans are readily identified, God does not procreate sexually--He IS the creator, and so sexual reprodcuctive organs would be counter-productive, and not necessary since He designed human sex organs for the procreation of physical human beings, who are unlike spirit-creatures.

You see, spirit-creatures are created and not procreated, like humans. Spirit-creatures (commonly known as angels, cherubs, seraphim) and so forth, do not need sex organs as a result, because God creates them...from...scratch, I guess one could say. But spirit-creatures do reflect the dominant male qualities of power (physical and psychological) that are common to males--hence the Bible always refers to these spirits as the SONS of God, and refers to God as their FATHER--male aspects.

If you've ever seen one of the fallen--also called demons-- (spirit sons of God who used to reside in heaven but were cast out of heaven after the war) these beings are large, and very powerful (I have seen them, and what they can do), and they have dominant MALE qualities. Remember the account in the scriptures of the Sons of the True God who foresook (left) their natural dwelling place in heaven, and materialized physical bodies for themselves so that they could have sexual relations with the daughters of men? According to the Biblical account, some of these spirit-sons of God noted that the female humans were beautiful....

At any rate, women should not feel threatened by the fact that God's qualities are described in masculine terms. Women are valued members of God's creation, otherwise, we wouldn't exist, would we?Wink
05-28-2008, 06:46 AM
I choose neither because I don't believe in GOD because GOD has no Shape,Size,Gender,Race/Tribe and "GOD" .
06-20-2008, 01:29 PM
To know GOD - man or woman ? we have first to know Who is GOD (ALLAH) ?
The QURAN answers :

He is Allah beside Whom La Ilaha Illa Huwa (none has the right
to be worshipped but He), the King, the Holy, the one Free from all
defects, the Giver of security, the Watcher over His creatures, the All-
Mighty, the Compeller, the Supreme. Glory, be to Allah! (High is He)
above all that they associate as partners with Him .
He is Allah, the creator, the Inventor of of all things, the Bestower
of forms. To Him belong the Best Names. All that is in the heavens and
the earth glorify Him. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise .

“Verily! I am Allah! La ilaha illa Ana (none has the right to be
worshipped but I), So worship Me, and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-
Salat) for My Remembrance.

Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but
He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyuum (the Ever Living the One Who sustains and
protects all that exists). Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. To
Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth
.Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission ?
He Knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and
what will happen to them in the Hereafter. And they will never
compass any thing of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His
Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth and He feels no fatigue
in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most
Great. (This Verse 2:225 is called Ayat-ul-Kursi) .

He merges the night into the day (i.e.the decrease in the hours of the
night is added to the hours of the day), and He merges the day into the
night (i.e. the decrease in the hours of the day is added the hours of the
night). And has subjected the sun and the moon: each runs its course
for a term appointed. Such is Allah, your Lord; His is the Kingdom ,
And those, whom you invoke or call upon instead of Him, own not
even a Qitmir (the thin membrane over the date-stone).

Allah bears winess that La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be
worshipped but He), and the angels, and those having knowledge (also
give this witness); (He always) maintains His creation in justice La
ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the All-
Mighty, the All-Wise.

Truly! Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him (Alone). This
is the straight Path.
06-30-2008, 09:21 AM
God Rocks Wrote:God is usually refered to as a man, but is he? Do you think he/she is a man, a woman, niether, both?

I guess it depends on which religion you are talking about. Christians and Muslims usually do refer to god as male. Hindus have several gods, of both sexes...as did the Greeks and Romans. Buddhists place no importance on the existence of god, so I don't think gender is even a concern for them. Atheists don't believe in god at all, so again gender wouldn't be relevant. Scientologists (well, if you believe scientology is a religion) don't really have gods. Pastafarians (worshipers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster Big Grin) say they've been touched by *his* noodly appendage, so I'm guessing the FSM would be male. Satanists (or LeVayists if you prefer) also don't really believe in any gods...they simply recognize the human need for ritual, which is why they have them.

Eh, I'm an atheist, so I went with neither.

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is God man, woman or genderless? Keep calm and learn 417 27,149 02-15-2017 04:12 PM
Last Post: Sue D.
  Was man created in god's image? StarStuff 38 4,152 06-06-2012 02:54 AM
Last Post: Elgonzero

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)