Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
God equivalent to Superman.
05-25-2011, 09:47 PM
God equivalent to Superman.
I grew up as a devoted Jew. I'm now 18 years old. I recently realized that despite going to synagogue every shabbat, I have in the past 3 years gradually lost my belief in God. I didn't realize it had happened until when two very old friends of mine, who I have known almost since their births, were in a terrible car accident in New Zealand. They had internal bleeding and skull fractures. While they were undergoing surgery by an amazing surgeon, my mother prayed and asked for God to save them. I caught myself thinking that that was as likely as Superman saving them. They survived with only minor scars.
Assuming you believe in God, does he answer prayers with direct intervention in our world? And if so, why wouldn't he, being benevolent and all-powerful, stop accidents from occurring?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2011, 10:25 PM
RE: God equivalent to Superman.
Quote:And if so, why wouldn't he, being benevolent and all-powerful, stop accidents from occurring?

Man, I wish Aing was here. But I shall try to step up and address this.

Do you know, when you make a choice, that it effects all sorts of things, not just in your life, but also in the lives of others? A simple choice between coffee or tea might change whether or not you spill it, which could change whether or not your late, or if you bump into someone.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. Everything that happens effects someone else, like throwing rocks into a pond. You may not see the center of the ripple, or you might not see the edge, but it goes beyond you.

In a case like this, have you ever thought that it might have been in their best interests for whatever reason? We're not omnipotent. We don't know every possibility, but with my cousin I know having a heart attack has aved her life more than once.

When September 11th happened you would hear stories of people running late or ho got in accidents and that's why they weren't in the towers. sometimes something that seems negative is in our best interest and we don't know it right away or we never know it at all.

Surgeons can be amazing, yes, but the amazing ones rack up more fatalities than saves. It's the nature of medicine. Surgeons can seem like amazing people, wonderful this that and the other until you're under the knife and in PT.

Without trauma, without hardship, people would never grow.

All this said...

Quote:Assuming you believe in God, does he answer prayers with direct intervention in our world?

I'm a Vodouisant, I believe in a pandeistic god who doesn't actively answer prayer. he has the Lwa for that

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
05-25-2011, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2011 11:37 PM by Yefet.)
Please disreguard, answered my own original question
05-26-2011, 01:51 AM
Quote:I grew up as a devoted Jew. I'm now 18 years old. I recently realized that despite going to synagogue every shabbat, I have in the past 3 years gradually lost my belief in God. I didn't realize it had happened until when two very old friends of mine, who I have known almost since their births, were in a terrible car accident in New Zealand. They had internal bleeding and skull fractures. While they were undergoing surgery by an amazing surgeon, my mother prayed and asked for God to save them. I caught myself thinking that that was as likely as Superman saving them. They survived with only minor scars.
Assuming you believe in God, does he answer prayers with direct intervention in our world? And if so, why wouldn't he, being benevolent and all-powerful, stop accidents from occurring?

Its funny that you asked this because just the other day, we (my class) where having a debate about the question you asked. Plantinga, an amazing philosopher said that the reason God does not intervene is because of Free will. God was able to create this world but gave its creatures the ability to freely do what they choose. The topic of free will has been debated in and out through the years, and like the question of whether God exists or not, there is no final answer. That's what kinda bugs me about the philosophy , each side is equally right, and equally wrong. Funny thing though is that it is my major in college Smile
05-26-2011, 12:16 PM
(05-26-2011 01:51 AM)Topramen20 Wrote:  . That's what kinda bugs me about the philosophy , each side is equally right, and equally wrong. Funny thing though is that it is my major in college Smile

I don't mind to sound like I'm being snide, but that's not really the point of philosophy, is it?
05-27-2011, 01:34 AM
No, but he's not alone in his reaction. I've taught Philosophy to a few students who've got really frustrated during the second term because "there aren't any clear answers".
05-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Hello,

Of course there are in philosophy, like any other subject, some questions for which both sides have good arguments, but to say in philosophy each side is equally right and equally wrong is quite and overstatement. The problem is, I think, that lot of people only get in contact with philosophy through those 'hard questions'. In fact for a lot of issues in philosophy where you have quite clear answers. Well at least as clear as you can get in philosphy. Smile
06-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Topramen i totally agree with you that GOD give us brain to think a thought to choose the right and wrong path. We all know what is right ans what is wrong and we also know that we don't have to be dependent on some one. we are responsible for every thing.
06-01-2011, 04:58 AM
If we all know what is right and what is wrong, how come so many seemingly intelligent, thoughtful people seem to disagree on the specifics? Are some of them just choosing to be evil and then lying about it?
06-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Ask issy.....................lol

????????????????

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)