Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
God's Existence
12-09-2008, 06:30 PM
God's Existence
Neglecting pro and con beliefs, do you think it is possible to scientifically prove or disprove God's existence?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2008, 08:01 PM
RE: God's Existence
Messenger Wrote:Neglecting pro and con beliefs, do you think it is possible to scientifically prove or disprove God's existence?
not sure, but probably not. that would kind of eliminate the need for faith. this is best proof i have found so far...

http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/index.php
12-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Science cant proove anything, just shades inbetween (since it relies on our senses and other devices we have no way of proving correct). I belive that the evidence though can identify the liklihood of his existence to a great degree, and has already provided some evidence for and against (mostly against).

my atheism is just like your religion
only i subtract 1 one more god
12-10-2008, 11:51 AM
athos123 Wrote:Science cant proove anything, just shades inbetween (since it relies on our senses and other devices we have no way of proving correct). I belive that the evidence though can identify the liklihood of his existence to a great degree, and has already provided some evidence for and against (mostly against).
I agree that science can't prove anything in the way that a mathematical theorem can. Everything is provisional depending on the next experiment.

So, let's limit ourselves to the evidence for and against God's existence. What would you say is the strongest evidence for and, the strongest evidence against?
12-10-2008, 12:00 PM
for----the complexity of everything. against----the skunk why would he make them.?

Good evil salvation
12-10-2008, 05:06 PM
smellycat Wrote:for----the complexity of everything. against----the skunk why would he make them.?

So, you feel that the complexity of the universe argues for the existence of God. And, the existence of the skunk argues against it.

The universe is huge (billions of galaxies containing billions of stars). It contains at least one inhabited planet that contains millions of different types of living beings. Either it happened spontaneously or it was created by God. My feeling (like yours) is that it was created but I understand the contrary argument.
12-10-2008, 05:12 PM
they stink.

Good evil salvation
12-10-2008, 10:43 PM
The complexity of everything works against god to a lot of people as it makes it harder to believe that there is something that could:
Think up all this stuff
Do it in a few days
Design a lot of useless stuff
Would want to do this
It also means that he has to be more complex than his creation in order to create it, rendering him more implausible. On balance it seems much more likely that complexity would occur overtime instead of instantaneously.

my atheism is just like your religion
only i subtract 1 one more god
12-11-2008, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 04:30 AM by Mr_Redneck.)
athos123 Wrote:It also means that he has to be more complex than his creation in order to create it, rendering him more implausible.

Hmm. That's an interesting thought. Could be used, I suppose, to create an argument for a God that is something extremely simple, kinda like the Higgs Boson, I guess.
12-11-2008, 12:56 PM
The argument that God has to be more complex than the universe to create it never seemed very compelling to me. I think of God as a catalyst that caused the universe to happen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Non-Existence/Existence..No-mind azurescen 62 5,939 05-27-2010 02:49 PM
Last Post: prdamico

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)