Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Greetings from Me
02-13-2009, 02:53 AM
Greetings from Me
Well, I've posted a few times, so I guess I'll introduce myself.

Hi, I've been looking for a message board to talk about religion that actually attempted to encompass all viewpoints for some time. Most message boards are either heavily skewed to a particular religion (which is no good, since I'm an atheist,) or to atheism (which is no good, since I never learn anything).

And that's really why I'm here, to learn. To discuss what I've learned with people, to espouse my views, and learn others. I believe that philosophy and religion should be constantly tested, and though it's not really religion, that applies to atheism as well. I am a rationalist first and foremost, and a rationalist must constantly test his conclusions.

So I guess what I'm here for is for people to attack my views. Hopefully a kind attack, but an attack nonetheless. If I can defend against the attack, my views are strong and valid. If I cannot, then I need to rethink my views. Which is fine. After rethinking them, my views will be stronger (and, if I've done it right, closer to the truth) than ever.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2009, 03:05 AM
RE: Greetings from Me
hi,what is an athiest?

Good evil salvation
02-13-2009, 03:12 AM
(02-13-2009 03:05 AM)smellycat Wrote:  hi,what is an athiest?

See, I'm new to THIS forum. I'm not new to the internet, and I can smell a troll a mile away, and your posts on the general forum make it pretty clear you are one. But hey, I started this thread, so I'll give you one freebie.

"Atheist" for me is a bit of a misnomer. I use it mostly to avoid confusion. I am a rationalist, I believe that the facts and logical deduction inferred from those facts are supreme. I basically try to understand the universe the best I can through my observations (and the observations of others), then make the shortest leap of logic possible. That leap of logic has led me to believe that there is no God, and that the entire universe and its existence can be explained via rational means without the need for a God.

That's pretty much atheism. The only real difference with me is that if I learned new facts that would change my conclusions, then I will actually change my conclusions. For instance, if they discovered and verified an ancient Hindu prophecy that was later clearly fulfilled, without simply being interpreted to fit a vague prophecy, then I would probably start studying Hinduism to see if there might be some truth there. Or at least I might start believing in prophecy.

That's all hypothetical, of course. The facts I know tell me that Atheism is true.
02-13-2009, 03:35 AM
Hello there. Welcome to ReligionForums.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
02-13-2009, 05:01 AM
i bet magicians love you,so if you see david blaine disapear infront of your eyes,you them believe people can disapear.?mmm sounds like a just say yes to everything fad.you are so funny.

Good evil salvation
02-13-2009, 05:14 AM
(02-13-2009 03:35 AM)Annolennar Wrote:  Hello there. Welcome to ReligionForums.

Thank you. I've been reading your posts with some interest. I like your quote. It seems drawing roses from the thorns is the only way to learn anything nowadays.
02-14-2009, 01:00 AM
(02-13-2009 05:14 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  
(02-13-2009 03:35 AM)Annolennar Wrote:  Hello there. Welcome to ReligionForums.

Thank you. I've been reading your posts with some interest. I like your quote. It seems drawing roses from the thorns is the only way to learn anything nowadays.

Thanks. Smile Its a quote from the Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena.

Oh, and don't let the local flora bother you. *wink* Big Grin

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
02-14-2009, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2009 12:16 PM by Pilgrim.)
Welcome GTseng3 I hope that you enjoy your sojourn here. *Bops Annolennar wif me rubber chicken for bein cheeky! Tongue*

Don't mind Smellycat. Her heart is in the right place and I kinda think she gives the place character. Wouldn't be quite the same without her particular...ummm eccentricity, bless her. Wink By the by, what's a Troll?

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.
02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
(02-14-2009 12:14 PM)Pilgrim Wrote:  Welcome GTseng3 I hope that you enjoy your sojourn here. *Bops Annolennar wif me rubber chicken for bein cheeky! Tongue*

Don't mind Smellycat. Her heart is in the right place and I kinda think she gives the place character. Wouldn't be quite the same without her particular...ummm eccentricity, bless her. Wink By the by, what's a Troll?

A troll is someone who goes through forums looking to start fights. You learn to avoid them when you've been on the internet long enough, they're everywhere. Generally you can tell because they'll post the same thing multiple times, change their views to be contradictory, resort to personal attacks, and generally act like a jerk.

And who said I minded people being cheeky? Smile
02-17-2009, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2009 10:53 AM by Pilgrim.)
(02-14-2009 03:34 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  
(02-14-2009 12:14 PM)Pilgrim Wrote:  Welcome GTseng3 I hope that you enjoy your sojourn here. *Bops Annolennar wif me rubber chicken for bein cheeky! Tongue*

A troll is someone who goes through forums looking to start fights. You learn to avoid them when you've been on the internet long enough, they're everywhere. Generally you can tell because they'll post the same thing multiple times, change their views to be contradictory, resort to personal attacks, and generally act like a jerk.

And who said I minded people being cheeky? Smile
*lol* I wasn't referin' t'yerself. Just my Bud's comment regarding the local flora. Big Grin

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)