Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Guru Ravee Patel - Thailand Trip
06-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Guru Ravee Patel - Thailand Trip
Hi, I recently visited Thailand at the beginning of the year, and spent a few weeks practicing under guru ravee patel. It was very enlightening and peaceful, but I did not understand some of the practices. Rhythmic during meditation I understand, but why we we told to do the "ohm". Is there a particular reason for this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2011, 07:04 AM
RE: Guru Ravee Patel - Thailand Trip
As Asana is used to control the body and Pranayama is practiced to control the breathing, so is Mantra, e.g. "ohm" (Aum), used to control the mind (please note that these are extremely abridged descriptions of such practices). The idea is to (at least as I learned it) repeat the mantra with such fervor and intent that after a while of practice the mantra will repeat on its own, even during sleep. I feel that I can almost assure you that this will take more than a day or two. Persistence is the key to the practice. The logic behind this method is that the mantra will consume your mental awareness, thereby trammeling any potential suitors (i.e. unwanted thoughts) from obtaining its attention. By confining the thoughts to as few as possible it affords a great amount of focus to the mind. Think of sunlight and a magnifying glass. The sunlight is the mind and the magnifying glass is the result of Mantra. How much more powerful is the sunlight, the mind, when it is focused through the lens, through Mantra?

When the mind is gotten under control in this manner you can then begin the practice of meditation proper.
06-08-2011, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2011 01:44 PM by Conwell022.)
Wow that makes a lot of sense. Maybe I should have just done the ohm when Guru Ravee Patel asked. LOL next time
Thanks a lot IMtM
Everytime I try it now, my throat tickles LOL
Everytime I try it now my throat tickles. LOL Smile

enlightenment here i come Angel
06-08-2011, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2011 01:46 PM by IMtM.)
(06-08-2011 01:31 PM)Conwell022 Wrote:  Wow that makes a lot of sense. Maybe I should have just done the ohm when Guru Ravee Patel asked. LOL next time
Thanks a lot IMtM
Everytime I try it now, my throat tickles LOL
LOL. You're welcome. I find that most people give a lot of mumbo jumbo when it comes to talking about Yoga and meditation, but I like to get right down to the basic psychological tactic being employed.

Namaste
06-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Namaste to you too

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)