Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hail Satan!
02-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Hail Satan!
My name is Dan and I am down with the devil. I am aligned with what many of you would describe as 'evil' or 'the dark side'. I thrive on what many of you would describe as 'sin'

I have described myself as a 'Satanist' for close to 20 years.

See you around the forums. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2010, 07:37 PM
RE: Hail Satan!
(02-13-2010 07:34 PM)satans_serrated_edge Wrote:  My name is Dan and I am down with the devil. I am aligned with what many of you would describe as 'evil' or 'the dark side'. I thrive on what many of you would describe as 'sin'

I have described myself as a 'Satanist' for close to 20 years.

See you around the forums. Smile

Hi and welcome. We have all kinds here and you are not the first satanist we have encountered. Are you the LaVey kind or something more traditional?
02-13-2010, 08:21 PM
The term 'traditional' in conjunction with Satanism is quite misleading. There were no theistic Satanists, at least openly, until the mid 90s e-satanism explosion. Satanists are actually very much as you might imagine. We are purely carnal and materialistic, and see spirituality as a form of self deception. Man is an animal.

Reality, as it really is is a dark, cold and uncaring place. We Satanists welcome this with open arms. Divinity comes from within, man manufactures his own gods.
02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
So, wait, does this mean you're a theistic satanist or an atheistic satanist?
02-13-2010, 09:11 PM
The world is not always able to be bifurcated. I would not use either of those words to modify 'Satanism' . I am simply a Satanist.

A christian will generally see greek polytheism as mythology. A hindu probably would as well. That same christian would probably agree that hinduism is also mythology. Alternatively, the hindu would probably think the same of christianity.

Mythology plays a more compartmentalized role within Satanism, but we don't pretend it is anything more than that.
02-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:So, wait, does this mean you're a theistic satanist or an atheistic satanist?

This question has relevance. If Satanists don't believe in a literal Satan, isn't basing the title of one's belief system on the famous Biblical bad guy just a ploy for pissing off Christians?

..and if Satanists do believe in a literal Satan, what does that mean -- doesn't he get thrown into a bottomless pit for a thousand years or something according to the Bible?

That doesn't sound like much fun for his followers..
02-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Quote:This question has relevance. If Satanists don't believe in a literal Satan, isn't basing the title of one's belief system on the famous Biblical bad guy just a ploy for pissing off Christians?
No. There will always be a slave religion. It serves no real purpose to try to change that. The sheep will always need a shepherd. Christianity is irrelevant to Satanism.

Satan is hebrew for opposition, adversary or accuser. The word wasn't thought of in terms of being a proper noun until the 1600s. Satanists take the word in that context.
02-13-2010, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2010 07:43 AM by clarence clutterbuck.)
Understood, but why should a belief system take on the negative connotations associated with a Judeo Christian concept by using Hebrew language in its self description? Why not call yourselves self-centred nontheistic hedonists or something?
02-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Besides the fact that your suggestion is rather unappealing from an aesthetic point of view, the name as it is is quite fitting. Satanism has ritual and dogma. Satan as a name for the adversarial undercurrent of the world has long been established, and the name has power in the minds of the masses. Anthropomorphization and the ascribing of consciousness through mythological trappings are more window dressing than anything. Satan as a memeplex is very real.
02-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Hi, nice to have you. I'm Clementine, our resident Vodouisant.

As a historian -- the name Theistic Satanism has no real history -- but there was a historical worship of a divine entity they identified with the Judeo-Christian Satan.

Openly, however, you are right, the term Satanist became popularized in modern times.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I forgot to hail as the dubbed Czech Hollywood Warrior Priest, I never do. czechwizard 1 509 11-04-2010 03:40 PM
Last Post: Zagreus

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)