Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Have you wondered?
12-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Have you wondered?
Are you concerned about world conditions? Have you wondered what the future will be like? If so, you will no doubt find the following information very comforting. As a Bible reader I've learned that there are many wonderful changes soon to take place right here on the earth. According to the Bible book of Genesis, God purposed for the whole earth to be a paradise and for the human family to have the opportunity to live forever. Have you heard this before?

You might say "This sounds too good to be true". But, think about it....a loving Creator can cause it to come true.--Psalms 145:16 You probably have said the Lord's Prayer or the Our Father as some people know it, well, in that prayer you were asking that God's will be done on earth just as it is in heaven. It is God's will to correct the bad situation that mankind has gotten itself into.

Is there a sound basis for believing what the Bible says? The Bible says it is impossible for God to lie.--Titus 1:2 Because we have already seen the fulfilment of many Bible prophecies we can have every confidence that prophecies regarding the future for the earth will come true also.

Here are a few of the changes our heavenly Father promises. No more war, crime, sickness or death. Racial prejudice, hunger, and housing problems, gone forever. I encourage you to take the time to investigate the Bible further. It truly does help one to cope with day to day trials and tribulations.

And you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2010, 03:08 AM
RE: Have you wondered?
Which Bible prophecies have been fulfilled?

As a follow-up, how will this miraculous new world come about, according to your interpretation of Christian dogma?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-02-2010, 02:09 AM
(01-01-2010 03:08 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Which Bible prophecies have been fulfilled?

As a follow-up, how will this miraculous new world come about, according to your interpretation of Christian dogma?

Which Bible prophecies have been fulfilled?

The Abomination of Desolation

Sacrificing upon the altar of the idol

King Antiochus,
Antiochus Epiphanies set up an altar to Zeus over the altar of burnt offerings in the Jewish temple in Jerusalem. He also sacrificed a pig on the altar in the Temple in Jerusalem. This event is known as the abomination of desolation.
01-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Daniel 9:27 is far too vague to be definitively identified as being Antiochus Epiphanies. The traditional association of Antiochus with the "abomination of desolation" is just that. Tradition. The supposed "prophecy" is so vague that it cannot be used as a predictor.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-02-2010, 03:15 PM
(01-02-2010 03:32 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Daniel 9:27 is far too vague to be definitively identified as being Antiochus Epiphanies. The traditional association of Antiochus with the "abomination of desolation" is just that. Tradition. The supposed "prophecy" is so vague that it cannot be used as a predictor.

On the contrary, it is precisely about Antiochus Epiphanies because Daniel was written shortly after the desecration of the Temple in 167 BCE. Daniel is written in 'prophetic style' where already past events are related as prophecies blending seamlessly into predicted future events. This lends emotional weight and a feeling of credibility to the predictions. The Book of Revelation is a conscious homage to Daniel. copying not only the style but paraphrases of various passages. There is even the use of hidden identification via Gematria. In Revelation, 666 = Neron Caesar(Greek form). In Daniel, Nebuchadnezzar has the same Gematria value (423) as Antiochus Epiphanies.

Despite being a prophetic work, Daniel was never listed with the Prophets, an old collection. It is listed with Writings from the post-Prophets era. The apochryphal book of Sirach, writen about 180 BCE, lists many famous people from the OT but does not list Daniel. However 1 Maccabees, written about 100 BCE, repeats that list and adds Daniel and the 3 youths in the furnace.
01-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Perhaps in historical context, but I don't recall anything in the passage itself that specifically relates to Antiochus Epiphanies. You would think that if it was written after the fact, it would be a lot more detailed.

01-02-2010, 05:54 PM
(01-02-2010 04:07 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Perhaps in historical context, but I don't recall anything in the passage itself that specifically relates to Antiochus Epiphanies. You would think that if it was written after the fact, it would be a lot more detailed.

It was intended as ex post facto prophecy, that is, as a nominally ancient document 'predicting' current events. To put in more details would have made it into more of a history, ruining the mood. More precise details would then have been required for the 'real' predictions, ruling out the intentionally fantastic and imagination grabbing style. The coming judgment and liberation of the Jewish people from oppression needed to take on a mythic aspect to connect it with the earlier similar predictions of the ancient prophets.
01-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Not that I'm doubting you (because you generally know what you're talking about,) but since the passage itself is not so detailed, how is the context for those verses known? Being raised Baptist I was always taught that Antiochus Epiphanies was during the "years of silence" between the OT and the NT, and that there weren't any books being written at that time.

01-02-2010, 11:54 PM
(01-02-2010 10:12 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Not that I'm doubting you (because you generally know what you're talking about,) but since the passage itself is not so detailed, how is the context for those verses known? Being raised Baptist I was always taught that Antiochus Epiphanies was during the "years of silence" between the OT and the NT, and that there weren't any books being written at that time.

The conservative view was always that Daniel was written during the Babylonian Captivity in the 6th century BCE as this is the nominal milieu. However the prevailing view among scholars for about a hundred years now is that it was written in the 2nd century during the era of Antiochus IV Epiphanies. Here is a description of the many reasons why that is believed to be the case and that the references are to Antiochus. The arguments are numerous and detailed so, sorry, no summary.
01-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Thank you, that's just what I was looking for. Interesting stuff, and it really does put Daniel in perspective (Daniel was probably my favorite Old Testament book growing up. I was a real prophecy and end-times hound, and if you take Daniel as prophecy as the fundamentalists do, then pound for pound you get more prophecy and end-times stuff in Daniel then you get anywhere else except maybe Isaiah, and, well... Daniel's a more exciting read than Isaiah. Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)