Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heathen Reads
08-02-2013, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 06:33 PM by Niva.)
Heathen Reads
The threads with Ethelwulf have given me an idea that have been percolating lately in my mind. I recently started a Goodreads account. I did it for a laugh, but now I think I might use it for something a bit more serious.

What I'm thinking about is going to bookshops and online and getting my hands on books about heathenry. The kinds of books that a baby heathen would run into when starting to look into it, as opposed to how I started, already deep into academia. Sort of (in my own opinions) separae the chaff from the wheat, the Wiccatru and the Reconstructionism, the cash-in-on-pagans-writers and give people who might be googling ideas about what books to avoid if they're looking for Norse vs. Anglo-Saxon, or Asatru but finding Wicca.

Then review the book for the ease of reading, the facts it presents, the sources it uses, and how accessible it is to find for the heathen looking to build a library. It would also help me build my library, as to be fair, most of mine are academic journals, textbooks, and various translatins of ancient literature. Ethel's made some very good points about the amount of information and misinformation out there, and I think it might help some people find some clarity about what different branches of heathenry are and do, and how heathenry varies from other movements like Celtic Recon, Druidry, and Wiccan sects.

Thoughts? Books (Good, Bad and Send-It-To-The-Hottest-Part-of-Muspelheim) you've come across? Niva you're an academic not a book critic?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 11:56 PM
RE: Heathen Reads
(08-02-2013 06:32 PM)Niva Wrote:  The threads with Ethelwulf have given me an idea that have been percolating lately in my mind. I recently started a Goodreads account. I did it for a laugh, but now I think I might use it for something a bit more serious.

What I'm thinking about is going to bookshops and online and getting my hands on books about heathenry. The kinds of books that a baby heathen would run into when starting to look into it, as opposed to how I started, already deep into academia. Sort of (in my own opinions) separae the chaff from the wheat, the Wiccatru and the Reconstructionism, the cash-in-on-pagans-writers and give people who might be googling ideas about what books to avoid if they're looking for Norse vs. Anglo-Saxon, or Asatru but finding Wicca.

Then review the book for the ease of reading, the facts it presents, the sources it uses, and how accessible it is to find for the heathen looking to build a library. It would also help me build my library, as to be fair, most of mine are academic journals, textbooks, and various translatins of ancient literature. Ethel's made some very good points about the amount of information and misinformation out there, and I think it might help some people find some clarity about what different branches of heathenry are and do, and how heathenry varies from other movements like Celtic Recon, Druidry, and Wiccan sects.

Thoughts? Books (Good, Bad and Send-It-To-The-Hottest-Part-of-Muspelheim) you've come across? Niva you're an academic not a book critic?

I like the idea! One of the greatest problems with someone first becoming interested in any for of pagan or heathen beliefs is how do you start. Some of the of the books I have read have been terrible even for someone in the nonacademic world. I would love to know what you think. Just try to be kind not everyone sees it from you view nor has the resources you have. I hope you continue. Thanks for the comments on the thread I started. You got me to look at things from a different perspective and so did Satyros.
Find all posts by this user
08-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Anything by Judika Illes is a good bet. While he's technically a "Wiccan Author," Scott Cunningham isn't bad either.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2013, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 12:04 PM by gorm_sionnach.)
"The Hammer and the Cross" is a really decent, and recent, overview of "Viking" history, chronicling from before the first raid on Lindisfarne to the mid 12th century.

"A brief history of the Vikings" is also not a bad intro book, though it tends to be somewhat condescending at times.

I am told that Diana Paxons "Essential Asatru" is the standard introduction to Asatru, which is also widely available.

the website Odins Gift, has a plethora of not only book reviews and the like, but an ever growing collection of Heathen stories, poems and so on. I would highly recomend anything (and I mean ANYTHING) written by John T. Mainer.

We are lightning, straying from the thunder; miracles of ancient wonder.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)