Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello!!
02-09-2010, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2010 05:21 AM by PassionForTruth.)
Hello!!
Passionate atheist here. I care about the truth, I care about evidence, I care about people, I care about feelings, I care about life, I care about death, I care about caring.

I woke up feeling very compassionate this morning, who knows why specifically. I have a question running through my head "Do you love your enemies?" - I would say yes but I've heard many people who I greatly respect not only saying "No" but thinking it is evil to do so - Christopher Hitchens for example who says that we must hate our enemies, we must destroy them, etc.

And I'm thinking.... well I love ants, I adore ants - they're my favourite insects and one of my favourite animals. But if there was an ant infestation where I live I'm afraid if antkiller's the only way then it's the only way. Does that mean I hate ants? No. I can do battle without hatred, without resentment. In fact I think it makes me able to examine things more dispassionately so I am in fact a better strategist.

Anyway, I hope to have a good time here. And I have a question: Why is atheism listed as a religion in itself on these forums? I do now know of a religion of different people that get together who simply don't believe in God (or even if they deny him absoutely... is that itself a religion?).

I myself am an agnostic atheist in the sense that I do not claim to absolutely know God doesn't exist because I consider it impossible for me to hold such knowledge - or to hold absolute knowledge of any kind! I'd have to be God himself to do that.

I am very confident - although as I said, not fully - that God doesn't exist though. I reckon that God almost certainly doesn't exist, as does Richard Dawkins - and he makes a case of it in TGD (The God Delusion) - my favourite book.

I'm against the effect(s) many religions (or maybe all) have on the world, but I nevertheless am fascinated by them. Glad to be a part of these forums.

PFT

"But it's not how difficult it is - it's about how entertaining it is." - Paul Hartnoll - Orbital

"That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet." - Emily Dickinson
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2010, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2010 05:48 AM by minus459.)
RE: Hello!!
Welcome Passionfortruth,
Now to the "meat" so to speak

I think that loving your enemy and killing ants are perhaps a twain that doesn't meet.
Christopher Hitchens (though I like him) is probably a primary cause for atheism being religion, considering his devotion to it.
Do all of the atheists in the world contribute as much sacrifice, love, compassion etc as all of the religions do to the suffering, downtrodden, diseased, disadvantaged etc?
02-09-2010, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2010 05:50 AM by PassionForTruth.)
Well there are less atheists to be loving.... so I think our love is outnumbered if only through quantity Smile

But there is no love that can't be brought without believing in God.... however there are some disasters that can happen if one is to zealously believe in religion. Even if one is completely obsessed with the fact they don't believe in God, that isn't an ideology that tells you "Go blow yourself up" - because atheism just isn't an idelogy or a religion at all, not in itself. Because it by definition isn't - atheism comes from the ancient Greek word 'Atheos' meaning "without God" - atheism is the matter of not believing in God, atheists are people who don't believe in God. That's it. They can be anything else in addition to that - but atheism itself is completely harmless: As is theism. Atheism is to theism as irreligion is to religion. You can get religious atheists (at least some (or one) forms of Buddhism don't believe in God(s) for example), and you can get irreligious theists. Theists who "hate religion" in the sense that they are against all organised religions, and yet they hold a private belief in a God(s).

Quote:I think that loving your enemy and killing ants are perhaps a twain that doesn't meet.

Could you please explain/elaborate on this?

PFT

"But it's not how difficult it is - it's about how entertaining it is." - Paul Hartnoll - Orbital

02-09-2010, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2010 06:00 AM by minus459.)
me: Do all of the atheists in the world contribute as much sacrifice, love, compassion etc as all of the religions do to the suffering, downtrodden, diseased, disadvantaged etc?
was obviously in relation to :
you: I'm against the effect(s) many religions (or maybe all) have on the world
So:
you: Well there are less atheists to be loving.... so I think our love is outnumbered if only through quantity
is not a reasonable response at ALL, since ALL the effects religions have on the world cannot be generalized into a category HARM.

We need to take this to another thread...........not the WELCOME thread........sorry.
you start I'm happy to follow.
and I did mean welcome
02-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Sorry I meant maybe all religions not maybe all effects they have.

PFT

02-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Hi every one

Mac is here, i am introducing my self with you, i have explore the many of forums and like to join this one,I am a computer engineer and doing web design, and awesome graphics creation.

I would like to share my ideas and thoughts with all of you.

Have a good day.
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Oh dear...a Dawkins.
02-19-2010, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2010 06:37 AM by may.)
I dont have enough faith to be an atheist ,

but hi there

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)