Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello from California
03-08-2010, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2010 12:37 PM by TheCatholic.)
Hello from California
Hello. My name is Terry. I live in California. I am looking for a forum where people debate in charity and respect. Many forums are disrspectful.

I am a Catholic (Latin Rite), 47 years old.

Thanks for letting me join
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2010, 12:26 PM
RE: Hello from California
Welcome to the forum!

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the "Latin Rite" signify? Does it mean that you celebrate Mass in Latin rather than the vernacular (e.g., English or Spanish)?

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2010 12:44 PM by TheCatholic.)
(03-08-2010 12:26 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  Welcome to the forum!

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the "Latin Rite" signify? Does it mean that you celebrate Mass in Latin rather than the vernacular (e.g., English or Spanish)?

Most people don't realize that there are many "Rites" in the Church. a "Roman Catholic", technically, is a Catholic of the Latin Rite, which also means Western Rite. Almost all Catholics in the USA are Latin Rite and therefore "Roman Catholics". But there are also Byzantine Catholics, Maronite Catholics, Syriac, Malankarese, Chaldean, Syro–Malabarese, and many others. They are all in communion with the Pope and we all adhere to the same beliefs, but they are not "Roman" Catholics.

I often see the acronym RCC being used, and even though I am Roman Catholic, many other Catholics are not, and they actually find that acronym insulting.

The Church is called the "Catholic Church", not the "Roman Catholic Church". Thats probably not a big deal to non-Catholics, but its a big deal to many Catholics.
03-08-2010, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2010 04:26 PM by Holy Babylon.)
Yes, the mass percentile of Catholics are Roman Catholics today. Well anyways, looks like I can leave the forum now that we have someone better to defend the Church and can be more active than I am. Bye guys.
03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
(03-08-2010 04:16 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  Yes, the mass percentile of Catholics are Roman Catholics today. Well anyways, looks like I can leave the forum now that we have someone better to defend the Church and can be more active than I am. Bye guys.

No no, don't leave please.

Hello by the way
03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Welcome to the forum.

As a ex Roman Catholic, I look forward to some good discussion. I used to hang out at Catholic Forums, but I like the diversity here much better.

---------------
Not selling anything.
03-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Thank you.

I must admit, though, I am always sorry to see someone leave the Church
03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
(03-08-2010 05:20 PM)TheCatholic Wrote:  Thank you.

I can understand that. But if it's any consolation, I found nothing to replace it.

---------------
Not selling anything.
03-08-2010, 06:27 PM
(03-08-2010 04:30 PM)TheCatholic Wrote:  
(03-08-2010 04:16 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  Yes, the mass percentile of Catholics are Roman Catholics today. Well anyways, looks like I can leave the forum now that we have someone better to defend the Church and can be more active than I am. Bye guys.

No no, don't leave please.

Hello by the way
Haha, it was a joke. I do like your sources though, I can never find good stuff like in your other posts.
03-08-2010, 06:52 PM
(03-08-2010 05:37 PM)MerryAtheist Wrote:  
(03-08-2010 05:20 PM)TheCatholic Wrote:  Thank you.

I can understand that. But if it's any consolation, I found nothing to replace it.

No, its not. I would think there's not much in that for you either, if I may be so bold.

You know, it is my experince that most Catholics who leave were never really taught the truths of the faith in a vibrant way that really hits home. You know who my favorite Catholics are? Protestant converts to Catholicism. They love it because they discovered it in the Bible and in history.

There is a show devoted to them called "The Journey Home", on EWTN. You might check it out some time. Here is the website: http://www.ewtn.com/journeyhome/index.asp

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)