Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help with college assignment???
03-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Rolleyes Help with college assignment???
I am taking "World Religions" in college, and I have an assignment that requests me to ask someone a few questions who follows a religion that I am not familiar with.

The only two religions I am familiar with are both Christianity and Judaism.

So anyone who is willing to help me with this assignment and doesn't follow Christianity or Judaism, could you please answer these questions for me? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!!!

<><><>< ><><><> <><><>< ><><><> <><>

1. Is your choice in this religion based on your upbringing as a child or on a personal choice to follow this religion? If it is because of a personal choice, what made you decide to follow this religion?

2. Do you find anything about your religion that does not seem to make sense? If so, what?

3. How often do you find yourself being judged upon or ridiculed when you mention your religion, if this actually does happen, of course?

4. If you have children now (or plan to in the future), do you plan on raising them with the same religion, or will you let them choose their own path in religion?

5. How are the topics of abortion, euthanasia, capital punishment, and gender/sexual orientation handled or looked upon by your religion?

6. Do you have any advice or guidance for anyone who is deciding on following this religion?

7. What do you think are the highlights about this religion?

8. What are some drawbacks about the religion you follow?

9. If you were not following this religion, would you choose a different religion to follow? Which religion would you choose, and why?

10. Do you follow this religion exactly as it is taught, or do you make some changes based on your personal beliefs? If you make personal changes, what are they?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2009, 07:54 PM
RE: Help with college assignment???
1. Personal choice. Some logical ponderings that lead me from atheism to Celtic Paganism, that combined with a desire to blame someone.
2. Not really but that is a matter of interpretation.
3. yes
4. Well I never planned to have kids but no I would give them a choice but I would certainly introduce them to this one.
5. Abortion: its accepted
Euthanasia: well theres nothing against it.
Capital Punishment: this ones interesting because while the death penalty is certainly acceptable it is regarded as a bit of a waste a murder fine is regarded as more worthwhile.
Gender/sexual: who cares.
6. Research and know what your talking about if you mention you’re a pagan and you don’t what your talking about you are asking for trouble.
7. Acceptance , a greater understanding of my cultural roots and being more in touch with nature.
8. Christian stereotypes, most Christians think im a demon worshipper or something.
9. Atheism because the major religions have lost track of what is really important and care to much about being “right” then living well.
10. I try to live it as its taught but so much was lost during the Christianization of Ireland and Britain that im sure I make horrendous errors

"Perhaps you've seen them only then you've just believed
And when they're fleeing then you feel you've been deceived
But in that feeling something ancient's been retrieved"
-Jack Hardy
03-03-2009, 12:49 AM
(03-02-2009 07:54 PM)Urthred Wrote:  1. Personal choice. Some logical ponderings that lead me from atheism to Celtic Paganism, that combined with a desire to blame someone.
2. Not really but that is a matter of interpretation.
3. yes
4. Well I never planned to have kids but no I would give them a choice but I would certainly introduce them to this one.
5. Abortion: its accepted
Euthanasia: well theres nothing against it.
Capital Punishment: this ones interesting because while the death penalty is certainly acceptable it is regarded as a bit of a waste a murder fine is regarded as more worthwhile.
Gender/sexual: who cares.
6. Research and know what your talking about if you mention you’re a pagan and you don’t what your talking about you are asking for trouble.
7. Acceptance , a greater understanding of my cultural roots and being more in touch with nature.
8. Christian stereotypes, most Christians think im a demon worshipper or something.
9. Atheism because the major religions have lost track of what is really important and care to much about being “right” then living well.
10. I try to live it as its taught but so much was lost during the Christianization of Ireland and Britain that im sure I make horrendous errors

Wow. I have to say that I really, really appreciate you answering my questions for me. I've always been interested in the Pagan religion. Getting these answers have really spiked my interest even more. I too can't stand when Christians stereotype. I just think it is a lack of understanding that causes them to do that (or even the lack of wanting to understand).

I have a question for you though (yet again - lol). When you say that the death penalty is regarded as a waste when it comes to capital punishment, what do you mean by it being a waste? This is just a curiosity question.

Again, thanks so much for answering these questions for me. I sure hope they weren't too hard or too "out-there" to answer. (If that makes sense. LOL!)

Big Grin
03-03-2009, 02:47 AM
I say its kind of a waste because it gets nothing but more blood. the ancient celts (origin of most pagan religions) while understanding that in some cases death was the only answer sometimes to a problem did not make it the only answer. the had what was known as an elric fine or murder fine. this is that in the event of a justified murder the realitive of the victim may claim a price or value of the deceased if he wants and demand this of the murderer. Now im not going to speak for all pagans here but there is the precedent in the faith for this. but what with national laws it is rather difficult.

"Perhaps you've seen them only then you've just believed
And when they're fleeing then you feel you've been deceived
But in that feeling something ancient's been retrieved"
-Jack Hardy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Assignment on hinduism. cookiemeister223 1 279 03-12-2016 11:18 PM
Last Post: Senthil
  Please help - I have an assignment due and I need some comments! jamie19 5 960 11-29-2010 04:32 PM
Last Post: Idol Smasher
  College Research Paper animenica 7 1,531 11-17-2010 01:21 PM
Last Post: Blood_Raven13
  Religion Survey for College Course blueviolent 9 1,826 05-05-2009 05:54 PM
Last Post: Holy Babylon
  survey about religion and college miafinsfan34 3 1,170 04-25-2009 04:52 PM
Last Post: Anglican

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)