Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hershel Wiesman
06-17-2011, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2011 05:26 PM by Yefet.)
Hershel Wiesman
This week a member of my study group fell ill and passed away. His wife had died a few years ago and they had no children.I went to see him as a Friend but When I first saw him in the hospital I knew a Friend is not what he wanted or needed,the look of fear on his face was devastating.
He has studied Kabbalah for many years and like myself had strayed from organized orthodoxy.
All I could think of was to recite Psalms,he told me he wanted to recite Shema out loud but didn't want to appear a hypocrite ,but once we did, his demeanor changed and he relaxed as if something had been lifted,the nurse told me his vital signs slowed and he seemed to be a little more comfortable. That was Tuesday afternoon
last night I stayed until about 11:30 and he seemed fairly happy and alert,we talked alot of zohar, And Torah, but before I left he wanted to recite Shema again,we did .Before I got home I got a call that he had passed away
Hershel was only 55 yrs old and not much of a talker, I think deep down he still resented God for taking his wife.But when push came to shove he wanted the Judaism he loved, and just needed someone to take him there
Maybe that's all there is to it, a comfort or shoulder to lean on, that sometimes is all we need, I dont see anything wrong with that. No proof was required, a simple belief.I will be forever grateful to Hershel for sharing this with me
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2011, 05:32 PM
RE: Hershel Wiesman
(06-17-2011 11:07 AM)Yefet Wrote:  Hershel was only 55 yrs old and not much of a talker, I think deep down he still resented God for taking his wife.But when push came to shove he wanted the Judaism he loved, and just needed someone to take him there
Maybe that's all there is to it, a comfort or shoulder to lean on, that sometimes is all we need, I dont see anything wrong with that. No proof was required, a simple belief.I will be forever grateful to Hershel for sharing this with me
Perhaps that is all we need, a shoulder. May your friend RIP.
06-17-2011, 10:47 PM
RE: Hershel Wiesman
A little comfort Yefi, well done.

????????????????

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)