Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hi
08-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Hi
My username comes from the bible John 1 vs 1-17, although I am also John.
Based in the UK I have been studying the Bible, Mythology and Science for the last 3 years and would like to share what I have found, although working on my own I feel I have had a certain amount of divine guidance.
I have been seeking the ultimate truth. Hopefully the spiritual world is less arrogant, pre-judgemental and more open minded than the scientific world.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2013, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 10:03 AM by EqualAtheist.)
RE: Hi
How can the scientific world be arrogant, judgmental, or close minded?

edit....

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
08-06-2013, 10:06 AM
(08-06-2013 10:01 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  How can the scientific world be arrogant, judgmental, or close minded?

Because it's made up of people. I've certainly met people working or training as scientists who are all three of those things. John's perhaps generalising a bit here, but what he's saying isn't impossible.
08-06-2013, 10:08 AM
(08-06-2013 10:06 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 10:01 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  How can the scientific world be arrogant, judgmental, or close minded?

Because it's made up of people. I've certainly met people working or training as scientists who are all three of those things. John's perhaps generalising a bit here, but what he's saying isn't impossible.

So meaning the people who are a part of the scientific world, not the scientific world itself then?

08-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Come on, Equal! I'm pretty much the King Of Pedants, but that's a step too far even for me. When people talk about "the world of academia" or "the world of sport", they're talking about the people and the structures, systems they built. I think you know that.
08-06-2013, 10:15 AM
When he said the scientific world, what came to mind to me, was a world, in which science has tried to answer questions using the scientific method. I was not thinking people at all. Perhaps that is where this is all coming from. Maybe I miss read the meaning, cause to me, it seems to be saying that science is arrogant, close minded, judgmental, which seems impossible to me.

08-06-2013, 10:19 AM
"The world of xxx" is just an expression, meaning a professional or social environment in which xxx happens. He's from the UK, so maybe it's just an expression over here and you guys don't have it (I don't know, but it might be), but that's all it is. I honestly think you've misunderstood him and took the wrong end of the stick.
08-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Maybe the words may have been a bit strong, born of frustration. I have found the people of the scientific world to be happy to answer questions but when asked to quantify those answers they get very shirty and at times insulting. They don't bother to try and understand what you are asking, don't like being questioned and generally have the opinion that you cannot possibly know what you are talking about because they know best then like politicians go on to answer a question you have not asked, that's if they don't ignore you completely. The word crackpot may spring to some peoples mind but all I have ever asked is based on accepted science and all I intend to post is based on a combination of the bible and accepted science but looked at with an open mind and no pre-conceived ideas. Hopefully that explains my first post.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)