Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Hinduism & Cosmology
05-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Hinduism & Cosmology
I would like to know more about the cosmological aspect of hinduism...
This topic has interested me for a long time.

What books are available out there... are there any papers or articles online to get me started.. thanks..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2010, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2010 03:09 PM by azurescen.)
RE: Hinduism & Cosmology
Here are some great links. I wonder myself what it all means....but I am finding out quickly and my experience is profound. This religion is quite communicative of its sounding origins and philosophy. The Gods really do speak to you.

Hindu Religion

Sage Patanjali

Yoga/Sutras/Philosophy:I would read all of the pdf file of Patanjali's Raja Yoga Sutras, you can find it here

Within these sites you should be able to find about everything needed other than searching for everything within on google just to get more detailed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Hinduism is really better understood as a broad label for a number of diverse religions with very different cosmologies; do you have any idea which one(s) you are interested in learning about?

"Religion is solely the creation of the scholar's study... Religion has no existence apart from the academy."
-JZ Smith, Imagining Religion
05-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks Azure for the links, will check them all.

Wilder, from what I understand from your question. I'd say that I just want to know the basic of the link of cosmology with Hinduism.
From there probably I could explore more.
03-16-2011, 05:54 AM
The cosmological aspect of Hinduism is seen in the 24 principles of Samkhya philosophy--a collection of verifiable laws about matter, energy and existence. The sociological is evident in the now-obsolete caste system of India, which served to organized society. And, finally, the pedagogical aspect is the code of conduct found in the first two limbs of [astanga] yoga--yama (rules on social interaction) and niyama (our internal attitude).
03-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Actually I believe that the caste system in India is still alive and well and a powerful force that dictates what goes on in not just social terms but political as well. I think it's the case that discrimination by caste is technically illegal in India but that reality is something else altogether. There is also a difference in attitude between rural and urban areas regarding caste and how it effects day to day life.
03-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Vis I think that you are on the mark, passing a law to outlaw a way of life, not some behaviour, will take as many generations to eradicate as the number of generations it was accepted (still is?) as the word of god.

????????????????
08-04-2011, 03:48 AM
(05-23-2010 12:14 PM)Wilder Wrote:  Hinduism is really better understood as a broad label for a number of diverse religions with very different cosmologies; do you have any idea which one(s) you are interested in learning about?

Yes I have one. Surya Siddhanta. Could someone who is knowledgeable explain this in idiot English please? And, what is the meaning of the hexagon symbol in Hinduism?

All the names and numbers are quite confusing, as math is not my strong suit to be sure. Thanks

peace

steve eden

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)