Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hinduism - a society with a label of "religion"
07-08-2013, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 04:12 PM by Vagabond.)
Hinduism - a society with a label of "religion"
Will not say, I understand it better. Hinduism does not look the same from every angle. Our understanding depends on our orientation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2013, 11:29 AM
RE: Hinduism - a society with a label of "religion"
Vagabond, I have seen from your forum profile that you are still active. Would you care to add to what you have stated in this thread? I am genuinely interested in hearing more of your thoughts regarding the title of this thread. Even more specifically, what precisely do you mean by "our orientation"? Are you talking about class, perspective, position, tier...?

Find all posts by this user
09-03-2013, 06:00 PM
RE: Hinduism - a society with a label of "religion"
(09-03-2013 11:29 AM)IMtM Wrote:  Vagabond, I have seen from your forum profile that you are still active. Would you care to add to what you have stated in this thread? I am genuinely interested in hearing more of your thoughts regarding the title of this thread. Even more specifically, what precisely do you mean by "our orientation"? Are you talking about class, perspective, position, tier...?
I was inactive for past few weeks.

Hinduism is a collection of different tribes, each worshipping their own deities. When a community is met with another community of a different practice, they have been adopted interestingly. Sometimes they have got influenced and have brought change in their practices. Sometimes both communities have lived just next to each other, not borrowing any culture from each other as if one doesn't exist for the other. One thing is common, none of them have tried to eat up the other faith. They have learnt to accept the right for the other faith/tribe to exist. Superficially all tribal gods/goddess are bridged by saying they all are a form of either Shiva or Parvati (Shiva's wife). But apart from this, nothing is changed. Each community has its own individuality.

Indian historians (probably everywhere) first recognise themselves with one school of thought. Left or Right wing. Right wing points a lot towards the damages done on India/Hinduism by Islam. Left wing usually favours minorities (read Muslims) and says, even origin of Brahmanism is not indigenous as Aryans invaded India (an argument not accepted by right wing). While Right wing glorifies the Vedic period, Left points at wrong practises like Sati/Devdasi. JNU which decides the Indian History texts, mainly consists of left leaning historians. Most of the right wing people are not historians academically (with no History qualifications), instead people with different background who have learnt history on their own. JNU guys while challenging right wing arguments point out, none of the right wing people are academically qualified. But they fail to say, why JNU has not been able to produce a single academic scholar with no left orientation. Outcome of all this (tussle between right and left) is a blurred picture of Hinduism which can be interpreted as per ones fancies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)