Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Home Schooling
07-22-2013, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2013 06:58 PM by Fossilgirl.)
Home Schooling
Home schooling has exploded in the US, Canada and other countries since James Dobson, a christian evangelist, started promoting it in 2002, when on the radio he said, "In the state of California, if I had a child there, I wouldn't put the youngster in a public school.... I think it's time to get our kids out".

Many christians chose the home schooling route to avoid the government indoctrination centers (schools). Christian parents are able to teach all the evidence of both evolution and intelligent design. Actually, its not just christian parents who have chosen this route, although It started as a christian movement and still mostly is. Today the whole spectrum of people from atheists to fundamentalists home school. (Also people from most racial groups and all economic groups).

Is home schooling effective? A large study, a few years ago demonstrates that homeschooling is far superior to public schooling... and the performance gap appears to be rising along with the number of homeschoolers. (Homeschooling is growing at 7% a year) Studies show that home schooled kids are scoring higher in college entrance exams, and the studies show these kids to be more socialized. Would you home school your children?
http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/200908100.asp

"I challenge...to come up with one practical application of biology that would have been impossible were it not for the hypothesis of evolution" Sonenthal, New Scientist
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2013, 07:03 PM
RE: Home Schooling
Depends on who or what the parents are or about wouldn't it?
Some home environments would be better suited than others in preparing a child for the world
07-22-2013, 07:17 PM
(07-22-2013 07:03 PM)Yefet Wrote:  Depends on who or what the parents are or about wouldn't it?
Some home environments would be better suited than others in preparing a child for the world

I'd say the difference in test scores is mostly a result of a huge selection bias. Parents who are motivated enough to go through the great effort of homeschooling (or the expense of enrolling their children in a private school) likely place a higher priority on education in general compared with the average family.
07-22-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm homeschooling my children, yet I don't believe it is good for everyone. My wife and I are well educated, motivated and have many educational resources. Even if a quarter of most cities families started homeschooling it would be diasterous. Many parents don't posses the ability to teach their children well enough to keep up in the modern advanced society.

"Torah's food for my brain let it rain til I drown, thunder, let the blessings come down!"
07-22-2013, 08:35 PM
I had a friend who was home-schooled, and got to know his own home-schooled friends as well. They were great kids and my friend was a smart person who definitely got good education.

I therefore don't oppose home-schooling itself. I had a rough time in school and I think being home-schooled could have been decent for me to experience.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
07-22-2013, 10:18 PM
(07-22-2013 08:11 PM)kadosh7 Wrote:  I'm homeschooling my children, yet I don't believe it is good for everyone. My wife and I are well educated, motivated and have many educational resources. Even if a quarter of most cities families started homeschooling it would be diasterous. Many parents don't posses the ability to teach their children well enough to keep up in the modern advanced society.
Kadosh,,,, surprisingly, home school parents who have only a high school education, have children producing better grades than those educated in public schools. And, compared to college educated homeschool parents, the grades were just slightly lower.
Good on you guys for Home schooling!

"I challenge...to come up with one practical application of biology that would have been impossible were it not for the hypothesis of evolution" Sonenthal, New Scientist
07-22-2013, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2013 10:45 PM by arthra.)
As such I don't think we Baha'is have an issue with home schooling... but I don't subscribe to the idea that public schools are "...government indoctrination centers.." either.

I don't support cutbacks to public education... or larger class sizes. I know some highly qualified teachers who were laid off by cutbacks...

The school district also has home teachers...educators with credentials that meet personally with students.

People can educate their own children if they wish.

There are still some fifty seven millions of children who have no education whatsoever...

A short time ago Yousafzai Malala age sixteen addressed the world body the United Nations with these words:

"Dear sisters and brothers, now it's time to speak up.

So today, we call upon the world leaders to change their strategic policies in favour of peace and prosperity.

We call upon the world leaders that all the peace deals must protect women and children's rights. A deal that goes against the dignity of women and their rights is unacceptable.

We call upon all governments to ensure free compulsory education for every child all over the world.

We call upon all governments to fight against terrorism and violence, to protect children from brutality and harm.

We call upon the developed nations to support the expansion of educational opportunities for girls in the developing world."

https://secure.aworldatschool.org/page/c...d-nations/

"All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree."
07-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Everyone thinks they know how to teach.
07-23-2013, 12:41 PM
alot of Muslims in the west choose HS for their children for 2 reasons
1. They don't want them to pick up and affected by non-Islamic morals, characters, influences....etc in puplic shools
2. no enough Islamic schools in the city

in the city where I live, there are about 100 thousand muslims and only one Islamic school. my Son goes to Islamic school

Click Here to know more about Islam
07-23-2013, 02:12 PM
(07-23-2013 12:36 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Everyone thinks they know how to teach.

Where is this implied? Most people shouldn't homeschool in my opinion. With the exception of private schools and college, most public curriculums in the USA for many teachers is just following instructions and helping students when needed, because they understand the curriculum. If a parent is capable of understanding basic curriculum (K-12) they can teach and give more one on one. Like I said before I don't think many parents qualify for this and homeschooling in That instance would not be beneficial.

"Torah's food for my brain let it rain til I drown, thunder, let the blessings come down!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  phone home? MRlogic 40 3,096 11-28-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: MRlogic
  Incomplete List of religions on home page. conrad141 17 2,467 06-09-2010 11:37 PM
Last Post: conrad141

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)