Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Homosexuality
04-20-2017, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 05:05 PM by Visqueen.)
Homosexuality
The reading and interpretation of Leviticus 18:22 which serves as the basis for condemnation of homosexuality as a sin is misguided and wrong headed. If you refer to the preceding verses, they, as a rule, relate to a man's relations with women who are connected by marriage or birth. The purpose of verse 22 is to apply those same standards stated previously to a man's relations with men who are related by marriage or birth. Leviticus 18:22 states: "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable." The appearance of the admonition is not abrupt or casual. It is bottomed on the previous verses which deal specifically with relations between a man and a woman. There is no global or blanket injunction against men having sex with other men. The verses do not support that reading. One must view the context of the admonition and the purpose it serves. Rather than enumerating the forbidden relations between men, verse 22 applies the same standards to man-on-man relations, as set forth in regard to man-on-woman relations. This verse has been used as a cudgel against homosexuality, but it was never intended so.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2017, 04:59 PM
RE: HOMOSEXUALITY
Let me guess, you are a gay right?

Click Here to know more about Islam
04-20-2017, 05:13 PM
RE: Homosexuality
(04-20-2017 04:47 PM)WHO Wrote:  The reading and interpretation of Leviticus 18:22 which serves as the basis for condemnation of homosexuality as a sin is misguided and wrong headed. If you refer to the preceding verses, they, as a rule, relate to a man's relations with women who are connected by marriage or birth. The purpose of verse 22 is to apply those same standards stated previously to a man's relations with men who are related by marriage or birth. Leviticus 18:22 states: "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable." The appearance of the admonition is not abrupt or casual. It is bottomed on the previous verses which deal specifically with relations between a man and a woman. There is no global or blanket injunction against men having sex with other men. The verses do not support that reading. One must view the context of the admonition and the purpose it serves. Rather than enumerating the forbidden relations between men, verse 22 applies the same standards to man-on-man relations, as set forth in regard to man-on-woman relations. This verse has been used as a cudgel against homosexuality, but it was never intended so.

Or as our Jewish mod has explained countless times, verse 22 refers to priests engaging in sexual acts at an inappropriate time, in that time period. That is, the verse was not meant as a blanket restriction for the general population at all. Yefet please correct me if I'm paraphrasing you incorrectly.
04-20-2017, 05:16 PM
(04-20-2017 04:59 PM)KAYSER Wrote:  Let me guess, you are a gay right?
Let me put it this way, I am not dating material for you, whatever your persuasion. I happen to think what is right is right, and I am tired of listening to people mouth arguments without ever giving proper analysis to them. This is one of the more flagrant arguments which people have adopted because of tradition and the attempts by ministers to mobilize the troops against sin, but sin which does not affect the dues paying members who support the church. Most ministers simply focus on this passage because it seems obvious on its face, but they know full well that there is a deeper meaning to it if they have studied text in the original language of the bible, whether Hebrew or Aramaic.
04-20-2017, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 05:34 PM by Caesar Saladin.)
The bottom line is that regardless of what Christians or Muslims or Hindus or Buddhists think the laws in Leviticus mean vis a vis homosexuality, they still apply ONLY TO JEWS. No one else. Just Jews. So how about not worry about what Leviticus has to say on the matter unless you're Jewish, okay? Let the Jews themselves decide what Leviticus means and how it applies to them, since it's their law to begin with?

A non-Jew debating Torah Law is like me going trying a case in an American court and basing my arguments on Mongolian law. It just doesn't work.

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
04-20-2017, 05:53 PM
(04-20-2017 05:16 PM)WHO Wrote:  
Let me put it this way, I am not dating material for you, whatever your persuasion. I happen to think what is right is right, and I am tired of listening to people mouth arguments without ever giving proper analysis to them. This is one of the more flagrant arguments which people have adopted because of tradition and the attempts by ministers to mobilize the troops against sin, but sin which does not affect the dues paying members who support the church. Most ministers simply focus on this passage because it seems obvious on its face, but they know full well that there is a deeper meaning to it if they have studied text in the original language of the bible, whether Hebrew or Aramaic.

LOL... jumpy....
It's really easy to get a lot from you. Why are you so scared to answer the question. Simple yes or no. I am not judging it's your life LOL

04-21-2017, 08:36 AM
How would you interpret then the other moral commandments against incest and bestiality which are mentioned in the same chapter shortly before and after verse 22. They are mentioned in the exact same context. If you use the same method of interpetation for these would it not logically follow that incest and bestiality is not prohibited in leviticus? Or to use your term these verses have been used as crudgel against bestiality and incest but were never intended to.

To be quite honest I find the pro gay interpretation of the biblical text far from convincing and they stand not up critical examination. I believe this is why their proponents very rarely interact with orthodox christian scholarship. If someone want to engage in homosexual acts that is primarily between them and god. I am not in the position to judge. How I have more of a problem when people try to read their personal agenda in relgious texts. Nonetheless if you want to discuss the texts in scripture regarding homosexuality I would be happy to do that.
04-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Welcome back akhi, hope you stick around this time

04-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks Kayer, I hope I stick around too. Had some big personal issues the last years I needed to work through
04-21-2017, 02:48 PM
(04-20-2017 05:53 PM)KAYSER Wrote:  
(04-20-2017 05:16 PM)WHO Wrote:  

LOL... jumpy....
It's really easy to get a lot from you. Why are you so scared to answer the question. Simple yes or no. I am not judging it's your life LOL

Why is it any of your business whether WHO is gay and what does that have to do with the topic?

----------------------
Does anyone know where the love of God goes
when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is Homosexuality? Eldian 740 36,576 01-11-2014 07:44 AM
Last Post: Herminator
  Homosexuality is not natural Unknowable 217 16,578 01-10-2012 05:47 AM
Last Post: muhammad_isa

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)