Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Homosexuality and religion
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Homosexuality and religion
Hey everyone. Please if you know which religion is the most accepting of homosexuality? which is the least? In your opinion is it right for a religion to abhore homosexuality? Do you think it's wrong to be or partake in acts of homosexuality? post here...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2009, 12:40 PM
RE: Homosexuality and religion
Very few modern religions are accepting of homosexuality. Some older (traditionally called "pagan") religions have no opinion on the matter. To be honest, though, the most tolerant is a complete lack of religion: atheism.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-15-2009, 05:05 PM
(09-15-2009 12:10 PM)XxXHjJXxX Wrote:  Hey everyone. Please if you know which religion is the most accepting of homosexuality? which is the least? In your opinion is it right for a religion to abhore homosexuality? Do you think it's wrong to be or partake in acts of homosexuality? post here...

Here is a link to a lot of information on the stands of various Christian churches on homosexuality. As you will see, opinions vary widely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chr...osexuality

I do not practice any religion, but IMO people can do whatever they want as along as everyone involved agrees and no one gets hurt.
09-15-2009, 08:20 PM
The religion that is least accepting of homosexuality is possibly Islam when it is practised in a totalitarian theocratic state like Iran. I have read reports of homosexual young men being hung by hoisting them into the air using cranes. Similar executions have been performed on young women accused of sexual immorality, which usually means that they have been raped and falsely accused by the rapist himself.

In my opinion, religions that are not accepting of homosexuality almost certainly have not received their doctrinal information on this matter from a supreme being, because such an entity would know full well that humans are cousins of bonobo chimpanzees, who along with many other species throughout the animal kingdom exhibit homosexual behaviour.
09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
(09-15-2009 08:20 PM)clarence clutterbuck Wrote:  bonobo chimpanzees, who along with many other species throughout the animal kingdom exhibit homosexual behaviour.

That's putting it mildly regarding Bonobos!

To quote wiki:

'Sexual intercourse plays a major role in bonobo society observed in captivity, being used as what some scientists perceive as a greeting'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo#Sexu...l_behavior

I like the idea of it being a greeting; might try that next time I meet some mates for a pint. I so shouldn't find that funny at my age...
09-15-2009, 11:03 PM
(09-15-2009 09:35 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  To quote wiki:

'Sexual intercourse plays a major role in bonobo society observed in captivity, being used as what some scientists perceive as a greeting'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo#Sexu...l_behavior

I like the idea of it being a greeting; might try that next time I meet some mates for a pint. I so shouldn't find that funny at my age...

Bonobos, chimpanzees and gorillas all have their own sexual mores and attitudes, each attuned to a specific social order. We humans are both like and unlike our several cousins in various ways. But what we have to a much greater extent is the ability to experiment. But we should never forget that actions have consequences. As long as we are able and willing to manage the consequences, we can be flexible about what we can do.
09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks everyone. But I still haven't found out which religion is the most accepting. I was reading about the buddhist view on homosexuality and that doesn't seem as strong as the others...
09-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Why are you looking for the religion that is most tolerant of homosexuality? Is it for a study? Because if you're looking for a religion, really, that's a fairly poor criteria to use. If you're going to join a religion just because it's tolerant of homosexuality, why not be an atheist?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-17-2009, 03:24 PM
(09-16-2009 01:32 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Why are you looking for the religion that is most tolerant of homosexuality? Is it for a study? Because if you're looking for a religion, really, that's a fairly poor criteria to use. If you're going to join a religion just because it's tolerant of homosexuality, why not be an atheist?

I already have a religion. Me asking this has no connection to my religion or sexuality, I was just intrested. And I agree it would be a poor criterea to use.
10-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Well, for the most part, atheists would be more tolerant, but that in itself is not a religion.

Pagan religions would be most tolerant i would say.

The person that is truly happy is not the one who gets everything they want, but the one who learns to be happy with what they have.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jesus and homosexuality shiverleaf15 24 2,502 01-19-2014 06:26 PM
Last Post: The_Squid
  the city of sodom and homosexuality alar 9 1,102 12-04-2011 03:35 PM
Last Post: Painkiller
  Homosexuality for a purpose? MRlogic 87 7,984 03-10-2011 02:50 AM
Last Post: Painkiller
  Homosexuality in Religion ? alan-kinsella 8 1,470 05-31-2010 09:47 AM
Last Post: conrad141
  Homosexuality minus459 22 3,006 02-14-2010 08:27 PM
Last Post: Aingeal
  Homosexuality Messenger 34 4,597 12-11-2009 08:07 PM
Last Post: Clementine

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)