How do the Jews view the Messiah
03-12-2010, 01:31 PM
How do the Jews view the Messiah
How do the Jews view the Messiah?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2010, 04:51 AM
RE: How do the Jews view the Messiah
I'm no expert, but I'm aware of a number of prophecies he was supposed to fulfill; build the third temple, gather the Jews back to the land of Israel, usher in eternal peace, spread the worship of God, and that he be of the House of David. That he would be born of a virgin, be a son of God, die for sins etc. were not part of the Jewish idea of the messiah.
As far as I am aware, the two views have virtually nothing in common.
03-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:I'm no expert, but I'm aware of a number of prophecies he was supposed to fulfill; build the third temple, gather the Jews back to the land of Israel, usher in eternal peace, spread the worship of God, and that he be of the House of David. That he would be born of a virgin, be a son of God, die for sins etc. were not part of the Jewish idea of the messiah.
As far as I am aware, the two views have virtually nothing in common.

Right.

Christians claim Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies regarding the messiah. Jews claim the evidence amounts to mistranslations.

Christians claim Jesus was a descendant of King David, and Jews claim the virgin birth negates that possibility entirely because the relationship has to be shown on the father's side of the family.

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
05-16-2010, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2010 12:21 PM by Adhara.)
This seems like a good post to start on, so even though it's a little old, I'll share.

1. The Messiah will be a human man, who is of the tribe of Judah through the House of David, more specifically, through the line of Solomon -- on his biological father's side.

2. There is a potential Messiah born every generation.

3. The Messiah will be preceded by Elijah.

4. The Messiah re-establishes the Royal House of David through his own children.

5. The Messiah will keep Torah perfectly.

6. The Messiah ushers in an age of peace and perfection in the physical world, not the spiritual. It occurs in the real world, not The World to Come, or the afterlife.

7. The Messiah brings about a time when Judaism is no longer needed, and the world converts to monotheism, thus Jews are no longer have to suffer to reflect the world's sins.

8. The world becomes vegetarian and there is no more famine.

9. All twelve tribes are found, the Temple is rebuilt, the mitzvots resume, and Israel regains it's land, ruled halaically as it should be, not the thing called Israel today.

10. Death will cease and all the dead will be resurrected*

11. The nile will run dry and the trees of Israel will yeild fruit monthly.

12. All weapons will be destroyed.

13. All Jews will know and understand Torah without study.
05-16-2010, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2010 01:24 PM by kevlar.)
# 13 it will be built into their dna..........
and jewish sharia.............just what the world needs.

????????????????
05-16-2010, 01:33 PM
That's not the way it would work, Kevlar. There would be no "Jewish sharia". Although, it would be interesting if it worked via DNA. Part of the point of Jewish law is that it is just for Jews, that no one else needs to follow it, that no one else should follow it.
05-16-2010, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2010 01:52 PM by kevlar.)
Oh yes jews would be the only ones left..........I see............my apologies.
Whoa ...............a potential messiah born every generation so in 800-1000 generations you haven't got one yet. Big trouble in little israel I think

????????????????
05-16-2010, 01:53 PM
That's not it either.

Part of the point of the peace is that when he comes, the Messiah will bring proof of G-d, to the point where everyone iin their right mind will come to believe in the accurate representation of G-d. I'm not saying Judaism is absolutely right, there are sects and difference in doctrine too. Judaism will no longer have to exist. It's not "Oh hey, we're right, now join our club."
05-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Adhara were you born of jewish stock?

????????????????
05-16-2010, 01:55 PM
No. My parents are both atheists with no Jews in their background.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Messiah Elgonzero 124 7,252 03-06-2013 05:55 PM
Last Post: susanblange
  Messiah Brianholyspirit 9 1,347 06-16-2012 08:20 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  messiah complex Yefet 26 4,962 12-09-2010 10:41 AM
Last Post: kevlar
  Do Jews believe that Jesus Christ is the promised messiah? ChristIsKing 57 9,853 11-08-2010 12:14 AM
Last Post: ChristIsKing

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)