Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you define god or gods
03-30-2010, 04:19 AM
How do you define god or gods
This seems to be a very common problem we keep having. Different people define god or gods different ways. And, since once again, I'm bored, I decided to open up a thread to discuss different views on what constitutes a god.

Keep in mind, I am not talking about Zeus vs Krishna vs Allah vs Yahweh vs Macha vs Perun vs Bon Dieu (even though Clem is in Israel at the moment) vs biomysic's holy family thing.

What I'm trying to get at is qualities. What qualities must something possess in order for something to be a god. There's no standardized meaning, of course -- but it might help facilitate discussion and debate, and maybe if we're lucky -- understanding.

to start us off, dictionaries!

Mac dictionary, definition 2: a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

American Heritage dictionary, definitions 2 and 3: 2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality. 3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.

Webster's, defintion 1: A being conceived of as possessing supernatural power, and to be propitiated by sacrifice, worship, etc.; a divinity; a deity; an object of worship; an idol.

So, discuss.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2010, 08:27 AM
RE: How do you define god or gods
In Arabic that what I fond in المحيط some book like oxford in English
Allah: creator who is worshiped
We believe god is the creator who take care about every detail about us
And make every thing good to us
03-30-2010, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2010 08:52 AM by Stereophonic.)
God is the Source and Ground of all Being. God is not an entity which "exists"; rather, God is the Source of all Existence. Everything in the entire universe owes its existence to God. God is the great "I AM."

God is the answer to the question, "Why is there something, rather than nothing?" God is the uncaused Cause of everything that is not God.

Defined this way, it is really impossible to deny that God is; the more interesting thing is not so much, "Is there a God?" but rather, "What sort of God do we have?"

If God is nothing more than the Great Uncaused Cause, if God doesn't love us or care about us, then that sort of "theism" (or "deism") is not really much different from atheism--except that it would be slightly less incoherent (or perhaps one should say, slightly more honest) than atheism.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
(03-30-2010 08:32 AM)Stereophonic Wrote:  God is the Source and Ground of all Being. God is not an entity which "exists"; rather, God is the Source of all Existence. Everything in the entire universe owes its existence to God. God is the great "I AM."

God is the answer to the question, "Why is there something, rather than nothing?" God is the uncaused Cause of everything that is not God.

Defined this way, it is really impossible to deny that God is; the more interesting thing is not so much, "Is there a God?" but rather, "What sort of God do we have?"

If God is nothing more than the Great Uncaused Cause, if God doesn't love us or care about us, then that sort of "theism" (or "deism") is not really much different from atheism--except that it would be slightly less incoherent (or perhaps one should say, slightly more honest) than atheism.

Stereo I think you have excelled yourself with this post. But, there's always a but with me (you know that) I think that your argument falls down with
If God is nothing more than the Great Uncaused Cause, if God doesn't love us or care about us
in that, in my opinion you are ascribing human abilities to your God. Why for instance can't He be both. It is impossible for a human, but that doesn't mean that it is impossible for God. Logic is not a valid argument when discussing God. God, if He is God, is not encumbered by any of our frailties. The answer to your question surely must be HE IS, with all that entails. To try and determine what sort of God he is may require the capacity of God.

????????????????
03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
God is imaginary,much like santa.there is also no 'good' or 'evil', those are human constructs.we get along because it is most beneficial to our survival as a species.We percieve things or events as evil or good on the basis of how they benefit or threaten our survival.

Every faith, every God and every religion are the antithesis of scepticism. They teach one to accept on blind faith, which if nothing else, is bad science.
03-30-2010, 09:10 AM
(03-30-2010 09:07 AM)e-pl Wrote:  God is imaginary,much like santa.there is also no 'good' or 'evil', those are human constructs.we get along because it is most beneficial to our survival as a species.We percieve things or events as evil or good on the basis of how they benefit or threaten our survival.

Every faith, every God and every religion are the antithesis of scepticism. They teach one to accept on blind faith, which if nothing else, is bad science.

You are obviously new, I hope you have your book tucked in tight down the back of your pants Angel

????????????????
03-30-2010, 09:18 AM
(03-30-2010 09:07 AM)kevlar Wrote:  ...you are ascribing human abilities to your God...

God is certainly greater than humans, in terms of his abilities and capacities and, of course, God's necessary existence (as opposed to our contingent existence).

Nevertheless, we usually say that the "cause" of something must be precisely the "sort" of cause that is capable of producing the "effect" that stems from that "cause."

In the case of humans, we are relational, purposeful beings capable of emotion and intelligence; therefore, it seems more likely than not that "God," the Great Uncaused Cause, is precisely the sort of "God" that is capable of producing the sort of beings that we humans are. Therefore, it makes sense to speak of God as relational, purposeful, emotional, and intelligent--though of course in a higher and purer degree than exhibited thus far by us (though, in my opinion, Jesus shows us how we can best exemplify Godlike behaviors and attitudes).

03-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Stereo you are ascribing exactly human abilities, not higher or more pure, exactly. When the Great Uncaused Cause has to by any assessment be so far beyond that scope, that comparing the first wheel to the space shuttle, is akin to an invisible pale reflection of the reality

????????????????
03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Are you saying that God is incapable of creating creatures "in God's own image"?

Or are you saying that God didn't create such creatures?

Or are you saying that you have such little faith in humans that you cannot imagine how they could have anything very much in common with their Creator?

For my part, I think that anything at all in the entire universe that exhibits beauty, power, and intricacy--those things reflect something of God's nature. And I think that human beings, in the power of their brain and in their capacity for love, best reflect God's nature. Now of course that's not to say that there isn't anything amiss in the universe and in human nature--but that's another issue which, as I've stated elsewhere, stems from human free will (and which, I believe, God is presently working on a solution).

03-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Since there has never ever been any evidence for a god's existence and the likelihood of a god or gods actually existing is so improbable, to the point of almost zero, of course god or gods contain no attributes. ALL GODS ARE MAN MADE, which is why they exhibit such human attributes.

The fact that Aingeal, who is a Celtic Polytheist, and Stereo, whom is a Christian, can have the same conversation about different gods is amazing, since to Stereo, Aingeal's gods can not exist. Perhaps you two should discuss that. Agreeing on what gods exist would be a good first step.

We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  To define God as other than a set of rules, is idol worship. Greatest I am 5 1,310 06-13-2010 07:24 PM
Last Post: Venedi Sporoi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)