Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you understand Jesus?
03-11-2010, 01:20 PM
How do you understand Jesus?
Definately more than a man / a mere prophet. But some view Jesus as God others say Son of God, what's your view?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2010, 01:30 PM
RE: How do you understand Jesus?
Quote:You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.

Though he was God,
he did not think of equality with God
as something to cling to.
Instead, he gave up his divine privileges;
he took the humble position of a slave
and was born as a human being.
When he appeared in human form,
he humbled himself in obedience to God
and died a criminal’s death on a cross.

Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor
and gave him the name above all other names,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

(Philippians 2:5-11, New Living Translation)

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
03-26-2010, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2010 05:57 AM by lastmikvehlastDay.)
> Presuming "Son of" is a unique meaning for Jesus (not some Might One or some 'angelic' being). Doesn't that depend as much on 'when' you are asking as anything ? Things like "being co~Eternal with the Father" wasnt always in the catechismic configuration nor a kind of litmus test for 'orthodoxy' either.
07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Well... I'm pretty sure Jesus is the literal Son of God. If Jesus was synonymous with God, I'd sure love to know who it was that Jesus was praying to in the Bible... especially in the Garden of Gethsemane (Matthew 26:39) where he is pleading with God that he would have to go through what he was about to endure. Also, in the same verse, he says "nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

In Matthew 27:46, Jesus cries out: "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Why would he say this if they were one and the same?

I'm convinced that, when it is said that they are one, it means one in purpose.
07-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Father Jesus has told me that while on earth He was Jesus Christ, the Son of God but once ascended to heaven, He became One with God and is the Father above now. In John's Gospel you can read at Jn 21:5 where He appears to the disciples after His ascent to heaven and addresses the disciples as "Children" for the first time.
08-03-2010, 11:31 AM
(03-11-2010 01:20 PM)BerjanoushLe Wrote:  Definately more than a man / a mere prophet. But some view Jesus as God others say Son of God, what's your view?

if we go straight to the bible it says in luke 9;35 the following

And a voice came out of the cloud, saying: “This is my Son, the one that has been chosen. Listen to him.
luke 9;35

that voice was JESUS father JEHOVAH and he iS GOD ALMIGHTY and the most high
.PSALM 83;18

AndJesus is Gods only-begotten son As the bible informs us

JOHN 3;16For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.
08-06-2010, 03:03 AM
Certainly Jesus is a prophet
08-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I can't get my head around the idea of Jesus being the son of god. I think he was a wise and honest man who believed in the good of people. A preacher who died for his beliefs (if what we read is true).

In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer.
(Albert Camus)
08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
(08-08-2010 10:11 AM)Darling Wrote:  I can't get my head around the idea of Jesus being the son of god. I think he was a wise and honest man who believed in the good of people. A preacher who died for his beliefs (if what we read is true).

In my Biomystical Christian beliefs it is easy to understand how Jesus Christ of the Gospels could accept being called the Son of God although he always referred to himself as the Son of Man. Jesus Christ of the Gospels is a fictional being, a man made of words taken from a lost Sayings Gospel ("Q") and put into a story composed by Mark using Old Testament prophesies and dramatic events retold.

Here's a clue to Jesus Christ's non-human identity: "Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he." --Mt 11:11

Jesus Christ is implying that he wasn't born of women, i.e. he is a spiritual being.

There was an historical "Jesus" in my belief who was the person obliquely referred to in the negative Talmud accounts of Yeishu ben Pantera. He was a man, a mysterious healer who "led many astray" according to the Talmud. I believe Yeishu's lost to history teachings to be the source of those of Jesus Christ.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)