Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How does someone become Buddhist?
07-21-2011, 05:51 PM
How does someone become Buddhist?
Hello,

So I am exploring different faiths and seeing which one is right for me personally, and I feel that Buddhism has sort of been "nudged" a long the path. So I am just wondering, how does somebody become a Buddhist?

I also want to ask, can you be a theistic Buddhist? Because I do not view the Divine as intruding or overpowering, but rather as as a loving and supportive friend. And I think He/She/It would want me to be happy.

Thank you. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
RE: How does someone become Buddhist?
(07-21-2011 05:51 PM)ILoveGod Wrote:  Hello,

So I am exploring different faiths and seeing which one is right for me personally, and I feel that Buddhism has sort of been "nudged" a long the path. So I am just wondering, how does somebody become a Buddhist?
Check out this site. It lays out the whats and whys of Buddhism in a very approachable format.
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/intro_bud.htm

Quote:I also want to ask, can you be a theistic Buddhist? Because I do not view the Divine as intruding or overpowering, but rather as as a loving and supportive friend. And I think He/She/It would want me to be happy.
In order to give a reasonable answer to your question, one must first ask a question of their own to you. How willing would you be to "let go" of said deity if your spiritual progress called for it? I ask this because attachment to desire constitutes the bane of the Buddha's approach to enlightenment, and this would include attachment to deity. And when I say "let go," I speak not necessarily of renouncement, but rather that your perspective will need be changed in order to enact the full virtue of the path that the Buddha shared.

From the Dhammapada:

"There is no burning for him who has completed the journey,
Who is free of sorrows and all else,
And who has broken off all chains."

"Avoid attachment to both what is pleasant and what is unpleasant.
Losing the pleasant causes grief.
Dwelling on the unpleasant also causes grief."

And also we have the Second Noble Truth:
"There is the origin of suffering, which is attachment to desire. Desire should be let go of. Desire has been let go of."
( http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble.htm )

That said, it most certainly, and without question, can be stated that a person can both be religious and harbor Buddhist tendencies. To adopt the Fourfold Path to only the mundane will provide a bounty of blessing to he or she who is willing to see it through to fruition. And in doing this it will clear the way to better serving the deity that one is deferent to. I have quoted this passage on this site many times before, and here it is again:

"Lay not up for yourselves the treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves can not break through nor steal:
For where your treasure is, there also will lie your heart."
(Matthew 6:19-21)
08-10-2011, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 03:03 PM by For the love of god.)
(07-21-2011 05:51 PM)ILoveGod Wrote:  Hello,

I also want to ask, can you be a theistic Buddhist? Because I do not view the Divine as intruding or overpowering, but rather as as a loving and supportive friend. And I think He/She/It would want me to be happy.

Thank you. Smile
I would recommend doing Vipassana. According to master Goenka this is the original teaching of Buddha, a meditation to improve your awareness. God, no God, all completely irrelevant. I only had some trouble with the Annapana part, another meditation where you need to feel compassion for every living thing (May all beings be happy). Just a small part of the 10 day version of Vipassana, luckily.

Also seek out a centre or teacher in your neighbourhood, there are many in the world. There are different lines of thought in Buddhism, so orienting yourself a bit on what is available makes sense.

Osho: "Enlightenment means being fully conscious, aware. Ordinarily we are not conscious and not aware. We are doing things either out of habit or out of biological instinct".
01-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Shakyamuni Buddha did not comment on the existence of God, so i do not know if God exists. However, if you feel that he exists and enriches your life, I think it is okay while you explore Buddhism further. i would also advise that you seek a qualified Buddhist teacher who can guide you better than any of us in this forum as he or she would know you better. Good luck!
01-28-2013, 06:28 PM
To become a buddhist you accept the teachings the buddha and the sangha(buddhist community) as your refuge and Home..

(07-21-2011 05:51 PM)UniversalLove Wrote:  Hello,

Thank you. Smile

Also if you have a theistic veiw and grasp on spirituality, i think you would get alot more out of Hinduism and Yogic teachings of vedanta and tantra....

Buddhist are strictly atheistic, they believe in enlightenment, but will always correct you saying that nirvana or buddha nature is not God.....

However Hindus disagree and modern hinduism has reabsorbed buddhas teachings anyways... they like to integrate things
01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
This thread was created in July of 2011 and the poster who created it is long gone. Sharon and Adi, please check dates before you try to respond to posters who aren't around. Having said that it's fine to bring back threads if you've got something new to say or want to revive a discussion.
01-28-2013, 11:49 PM
What constitutes getting banned?
01-29-2013, 01:06 AM
Please read the rules of the forum that are found in the sticky threads - there is a separate sticky thread for blogging within that subsection as well. If you are still unclear regarding what qualifies for temp or perma bans, you can pm any mod.
01-30-2013, 01:52 AM
are you one of the founders of this web site visqueen?
01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
No no. This forum was created by God Rocks and it's his site. Others have been here longer than me, for instance Pain, Ali, Yefet and GT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Buddhist Temples around the World sacredtravelguide 12 4,228 11-14-2016 03:46 PM
Last Post: IMtM
  Ask a Buddhist MetDBlck 16 4,461 04-21-2015 08:38 PM
Last Post: Saint_of_Me
  Do Buddhist have any Holidays? Azrael17 3 2,621 04-04-2015 11:26 PM
Last Post: bor pen nyang
  Simple questions for Buddhist? Azrael17 17 3,811 01-14-2014 03:42 AM
Last Post: MetDBlck
  Tongmyong buddhist temple... Pyongyang, North Korea CAMILO9015 5 4,444 05-22-2013 07:05 PM
Last Post: Azrael17
  An interesting Buddhist deity tenzinchoje 1 732 03-01-2013 08:33 AM
Last Post: Visqueen
  Buddhist mala beads LadySamurai 10 2,646 01-20-2013 05:44 PM
Last Post: IMtM
  Buddhist retreats Darling 4 1,525 08-08-2010 03:18 AM
Last Post: usherr

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)