Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Human society.
08-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Human society.
Do humans need religion to survive as a society?

Has religion brought Humanity together or has it tore us apart?

"Although we are puny and insignificant on the scale of the cosmos, this makes us in a sense the lords of creation." -- Stephen Hawking --
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2011, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 09:56 PM by StarStuff.)
RE: Human society.
I think that, in the early stages of the development of human society, religion was beneficial. It aided tribes in being more cohesive, it united people under a common banner, it gave people a sense of belonging and purpose within their tribes. It also served as a way of teaching lessons, particularly about things of which we had not yet developed a strong understanding (ie don't go to the top of that mountain, because it will make the volcano gods angry and they'll kill you).

But we've outgrown our need for it, and I believe religion in modern society is destructive far more often than it is beneficial.

I've heard religion described as the training wheels of civilization, and I think that is a very accurate comparison.

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
08-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Unite a tribe only to war against another with different belief?

"Although we are puny and insignificant on the scale of the cosmos, this makes us in a sense the lords of creation." -- Stephen Hawking --
08-06-2011, 03:27 AM
If anyone thinks that religion is going away anytime soon, look to the Chinese Communist Party!

????????????????
08-06-2011, 03:48 AM
(08-05-2011 09:44 PM)MRlogic Wrote:  Do humans need religion to survive as a society?

Has religion brought Humanity together or has it tore us apart?
I think the problem is not so much religion as the fact that we do not control our base instincts so well, like greed, lust and selfishness. Religion can be a force to counter this, and depending on your definition Capitalism or Communism or even Democracy could be called religions. I would say we need some binding concepts, but something like the Genevan conventions would be an ok start. In the light of eternity I think human society will perish eventually, by the way.

It has done both. There have been wars on the basis of religion and there have been more agreements on what is just and right because of religion.

But as I've said to you before, I think you need to learn to clarify why you ask these questions and what your viewpoint is. What is your goal? Do you want to prove that religion is bad? And that it would be better for humanity to give it up?
What is your definition of society?

Osho: "Enlightenment means being fully conscious, aware. Ordinarily we are not conscious and not aware. We are doing things either out of habit or out of biological instinct".
08-06-2011, 07:23 AM
(08-06-2011 03:18 AM)MRlogic Wrote:  Unite a tribe only to war against another with different belief?

This only becomes an issue when there are enough humans for tribes to come in close contact.

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
08-06-2011, 02:41 PM
(08-05-2011 09:44 PM)MRlogic Wrote:  Do humans need religion to survive as a society?

No, I do not think it is needed to survive

(08-05-2011 09:44 PM)MRlogic Wrote:  Has religion brought Humanity together or has it tore us apart?

It has done and is still doing both.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
08-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Simple answer.

08-07-2011, 05:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2011 05:06 AM by Painkiller.)
(08-06-2011 02:41 PM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  
(08-05-2011 09:44 PM)MRlogic Wrote:  Has religion brought Humanity together or has it tore us apart?

It has done and is still doing both.

Great answer, Equal, I think this is spot on. Furthermore, though, I'd also add that in both cases it's people who are doing the bringing and the tearing, and that Religion is simply one of many tools/inspirations/excuses we use to do it.

Log - There is no simple answer, sorry. If you want one, go and live in a world where moral and social issues are simple, because you won't find any here.
08-07-2011, 06:23 AM
IMO Religion is just another cultural evolving trend that we can live with or without. Some do, some don't. Whatever.
gTm

The universe exists to think, know and experience.
@PaticleAnimism
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is the benefit to society? rocketboy9000 15 900 10-02-2014 04:50 PM
Last Post: rocketboy9000
  Is the presence of religion in our society positive or negative? tal 10 2,277 06-19-2013 03:09 PM
Last Post: KAYSER
  Society Flipper 5 886 05-22-2013 12:51 AM
Last Post: Flipper
  Is religion really society friendly? Naiad 7 1,000 02-02-2013 11:37 PM
Last Post: Reuven
  Is multiculturalism a good idea for a society? lilJimmy 7 1,354 11-03-2010 11:36 PM
Last Post: Sinlful Hypocrite
  Reason for suicides in society dattaswami1 1 679 02-17-2009 09:44 AM
Last Post: dattaswami1

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)