Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hymns
08-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Hymns
What are you favourite hymns and why (this question is open to all)
my favourite hymn (not exclusive to the LDS faith) is battle hymn of the republic" (epic!). the hymn that makes me the most emotional is "a poor wayfaring man of grief"
http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/a-poor-wa...-of-grief/
my favourite exclusively LDS hymns are "called to serve", "now let us rejoice", "true to the faith", "let us all press on", "praise to the man" and "in our lovely deseret", they all have very jaunty tunes/lyrics and neve fail to put me in high spirits.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2009, 10:37 AM
RE: Hymns
(08-19-2009 08:34 AM)Heather_1989 Wrote:  What are you favourite hymns and why…

Glad you are out from under the table...Wink

I cannot honestly say that this is my favorite hymn but it is one I remember well. It was sung during novenas (nine Monday nights of prayer, preaching and singing). Mother Dear, O Pray For Me cannot be called a great song but the novena experience was truly memorable.

The song would be sung by the congregation at the end of the novena service, the resonant qualities of the huge cavernous space making this crowd of amateurs sound surprisingly good. As it was sung (it sounds vaguely like Amazing Grace), the massive hanging lights were gradually turned out pair by pair from the rear of the church to the front. The last lines of the last stanza and the final chorus were sung in near total darkness, the huge church red-lit only by the banks of candles as the heavy smell of incense hung in the air. This is what passed for ‘psychedelic’ in the 1950s. Rolleyes

I was never a great believer, but I was always a great enjoyer.
08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
thank you, feels good to sitting up straight again.
wow that sounds amazing, nothing quite so extravagant has ever happened at my church, we make do with fold away chairs, a piano and a church member playing it who despite her best efforts cant't of been playing for long (although it can be quite amusing to see everyone trying to sing in time to it)
actually i've never been to a proper church service in the evening (baptisms aside but they are not held in the main hall anyway) i imagine it would be quite a different experience.
did they turn the lights off after or did you just have to walk toward the general direction of the exit in darkness and hope you dont trip over anything or anyone?
08-19-2009, 09:53 PM
(08-19-2009 09:25 PM)Heather_1989 Wrote:  wow that sounds amazing, nothing quite so extravagant has ever happened at my church, we make do with fold away chairs, a piano and a church member playing it who despite her best efforts cant't of been playing for long (although it can be quite amusing to see everyone trying to sing in time to it)

I grew up going to a really big (2000 seat) old fashioned Catholic church. In the mid 1960s - the last time I was there - there were a total of 12 masses from Saturday night through Sunday night, but of course only a few were fully packed. We had a first class choir and organist. 11 AM Sunday was Solemn High Mass, which means fully sung by the priest with sung responses by the choir.

The pastor was a Monsignor - an honorary title. He had saved the parish from bankruptcy during the Depression, boosted attendence sky high, repaired the priests' house and the convent, got them fully staffed and even built a new grammar school. When he passed away after like 40 years of service, the Solemn High Requiem Mass was presided over by the Bishop with a couple of young priests with really good voices assisting and the choir/organist performing their hearts out. That was memorable!

I understand they now have only four masses and poor attendence at those.

(08-19-2009 09:25 PM)Heather_1989 Wrote:  did they turn the lights off after or did you just have to walk toward the general direction of the exit in darkness and hope you dont trip over anything or anyone?

They turned the lights on again after the song. Big Grin
08-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I've always liked "Ave Maria".

Even though I no longer believe, the song, when sung well, can still give me chills.

---------------
Not selling anything.
08-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Ooh, can I go again? "The Holy City." Always been one of my favorites.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
08-24-2009, 09:42 PM
(08-19-2009 10:37 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Ooh, can I go again? "The Holy City." Always been one of my favorites.

The Judy Collins version of Amazing Grace. Smile
09-02-2009, 09:08 PM
The Judy Collins adaptation is aswell my favorite.

05-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Fairest Lord Jesus! and Hallelujah to the Lamb!
These both are my favorites.
This give the spiritual touch to heart and mind.
05-24-2010, 09:04 AM
(08-19-2009 08:34 AM)Heather_1989 Wrote:  What are you favourite hymns and why (this question is open to all)

I grew up as a fundamentalist Christian, but now I'm more of a rationalist. My all-time favorite hymn is Amazing Grace, done on bagpipes (no vocals). Gives me chill bumps...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)