Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I am intolerant. (Apparently.)
05-13-2012, 03:00 PM
I am intolerant. (Apparently.)
According to a Muslim I spoke to on IM, I am intolerant. This is because I tend to trash-talk his particular religion, while being tolerant of, say, Shinto, Buddhism or Paganism. Is it unfair? Well, I have two reasons for this bias against not only Islam but all 'Abrahamic' faiths. Some of them might not be all too logical or 'fair', but they are the reasons I feel the way I do.
I have experience with that particular god, as a former adherent of Judaism. My experience as a child was not "bad" as such, however it, along with peer pressure, taught me to hate homosexuals. (Although at the time I had only a tenuous grasp of what a homosexual was.) This exacerbated my problems when it turned out I was attracted to boys as well as girls. Therefore, because the Abrahamic god's worshippers are taught to hate me, it is only fair that I have a grudge against these religions.
Secondly, the way that Abrahamic religions, interact with other faiths is disconcerting to say the least. Each one, even the smallest sect, declares itself the "only way", and dismisses all others. This is in great contrast to, for example, the "one truth three ways" thinking that appeared in China, or the way the pagan Romans adopted Egyptian gods when they conquered Egypt. Scarily, the Abrahamic faiths are inured to religious violence, even in their earliest forms, such as the biblical genocides of the Midians, Amalekhites, and Edomites, and this continues through to the present day. It does not matter whether these genocides ever happened, but the way they are shown as heroic acts is what I take issue with.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2012, 03:43 PM
RE: I am intolerant. (Apparently.)
Congratulations?
05-13-2012, 08:34 PM
(05-13-2012 03:43 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Congratulations?

I think a party is in order. I'll pass out cigars. You arrange the strippers.

Join Atheism Today! Be sure to ask about our sexy parties. Big Grin
05-13-2012, 08:43 PM
You know Jews don't hate you right?
being a Jew you will always be a Jew regardless of your personal believes,not all Abrahamic god's worshipers feel the you described, not a Torah Jew anyway, I personally think your an intelligent ,caring human being and that's all anyone can hope for
05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
(05-13-2012 08:34 PM)jrpurdon Wrote:  
(05-13-2012 03:43 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Congratulations?

I think a party is in order. I'll pass out cigars. You arrange the strippers.

I will bring the literal baby back ribs....been looking forward to a reason for us to have another party.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
05-14-2012, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2012 11:41 AM by muhammad_isa.)
(05-13-2012 08:43 PM)Yefet Wrote:  ..being a Jew you will always be a Jew regardless of your personal believes..

Hmm .. debatable.

Are Jews a 'race', or are they adherents to a religion?

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.
05-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Judaism is a religion, but the way that Jewish people have lived and been persecuted for several thousand years has made Being Jewish as much an ethnicity as a faith.
05-14-2012, 12:12 PM
(05-13-2012 03:00 PM)rocketboy9000 Wrote:  According to a Muslim I spoke to on IM, I am intolerant. This is because I tend to trash-talk his particular religion, while being tolerant of, say, Shinto, Buddhism or Paganism. Is it unfair? Well, I have two reasons for this bias against not only Islam but all 'Abrahamic' faiths. Some of them might not be all too logical or 'fair', but they are the reasons I feel the way I do.
I have experience with that particular god, as a former adherent of Judaism. My experience as a child was not "bad" as such, however it, along with peer pressure, taught me to hate homosexuals. (Although at the time I had only a tenuous grasp of what a homosexual was.) This exacerbated my problems when it turned out I was attracted to boys as well as girls. Therefore, because the Abrahamic god's worshippers are taught to hate me, it is only fair that I have a grudge against these religions.
Secondly, the way that Abrahamic religions, interact with other faiths is disconcerting to say the least. Each one, even the smallest sect, declares itself the "only way", and dismisses all others. This is in great contrast to, for example, the "one truth three ways" thinking that appeared in China, or the way the pagan Romans adopted Egyptian gods when they conquered Egypt. Scarily, the Abrahamic faiths are inured to religious violence, even in their earliest forms, such as the biblical genocides of the Midians, Amalekhites, and Edomites, and this continues through to the present day. It does not matter whether these genocides ever happened, but the way they are shown as heroic acts is what I take issue with.

So someone somewhere says you're intolerant....so what?
Why do you care what one person that (likely) has no impact on your life thinks about you?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  We (atheists) don't exist apparently. Leosnake 17 1,276 12-27-2014 11:01 AM
Last Post: Herminator

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)