Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I believe in Harry Potter
06-27-2011, 07:42 PM
I believe in Harry Potter
This thread is being made due to a conversation that was started about Harry Potter. Someone tried to compare Harry Potter to the bible, and it was mentioned that Harry Potter is not real. I would like to take the stance that Harry Potter is real, and that you will not be able to prove otherwise. (other then I do not believe Harry Potter is real) So, to take advantage of my, what is there left to debate about thread, I have found something. Purely to debate. So if we compare Harry Potter to the bible, or the quran, we will see, that Harry Potter could also be a holy book.....anyone want to join in? Steve?

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2011, 11:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2011 11:20 PM by kevlar.)
RE: I believe in Harry Potter
I hope this doesn't cause you too much distress Equal, but there are people here and indeed elsewhere who claim that Harry Potter is not real, but I have been sent directly from Hogwarts with a special message for you and the other faithful. They only deny Harry because they HATE Harry, oh they know he's real, but it is the HATE in them that they use to deny him. They have been deceived, but have welcomed the deceiver Voldemort into their hearts.

????????????????
06-28-2011, 07:40 AM
I do not stress. The truth has been revealed in several books and all the proof that is need is provided within those books. Believe or not, it does not change the truth.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
06-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Hello,

Quite frankly I think such counter examples are not really that good or even useful. I understand the point you want to get across. The argument 'The existence of X has not or cannot be disproven therefore X exists' is an incredibly bad argument. You can even demonstrate this much easier. My favourite example is the following. The president of the United States told me I must get more payment starting next month which is perfectly possible and no one was able to disprove it therefore it must be true. It's painfully obvious why this is such a ridiculous argument. The only thing I would to add is that if one agrees there no genuine proof against God an atheist should maybe consider to switch to agnosticism or like some wish to call it to soft atheism.

Now let's pick a bit on Harry Potter. Of course Mr. Potter is a
person and not a book so that would be the first flaw in the analogy. It would be much more fitting to compare him at least to a person like Jesus or Muhammad, on both be peace, if you want to stay with Christianity and Islam. Well, we are quite sure that some religious figures like the both I mentioned were actually historical persons ,irrespective of the legends which surrounds them both, while we are at the least equally sure the prime student of Hogwards is a fictional character. Furthermore last time I checked the author of the books which describe Mr. Potter is still alive and I'm quite sure she will readily admit that she did not describe a historical person but rather invented this fictional character for the amusement of many. One more point which speaks against your belief is that you obviously want to get a certain point across and as a wonderful coincidence you suddenly found faith and peace in lovely Harry which make it very plausible to believe you just invented it in order to expose a faulty argument. Last but not least I cannot even start to imagine with which valid argument for your belief you want to surprise us in your next post. So even if we subtract all the argument I showed against your newly found belief at best it would be based on personal experience and therefore not accessible for anyone besides yourself and your fellow brothers/sisters in faith.

Hopefully Dumbledoor won't too harsh against 'heretics' :-)
06-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Only Richard Harris is real.
06-28-2011, 09:26 AM
How about Joseph Smith?

The universe exists to think, know and experience.
@PaticleAnimism
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Up pops Brenda...........
06-28-2011, 03:02 PM
if you believe in harry potter you are a devil worshiper!

06-28-2011, 05:23 PM
(06-28-2011 09:03 AM)Hamza Abdulhakim Wrote:  I'm quite sure she will readily admit that she did not describe a historical person but rather invented this fictional character for the amusement of many.

Conveniently, we cannot ask the authors of most religious texts whether or not they were just making it all up as they went along. Also, people lie. I think that simple fact makes it very difficult to defend any position that relies on what we're told by others. Could be that Ms. Rowling believes that the Harry Potter series is based on factual people and events, but lies and calls it fiction for her own reasons (afraid of not being taken seriously, intentionally testing the faith of true believers?)

Join Atheism Today! Be sure to ask about our sexy parties. Big Grin
06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
*Puts on Militant Atheist hat*

Jesus was not a real historical person. Prove he was.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence - Me

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)