Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
I don't believe in God, but I really want to...
08-04-2010, 03:16 AM
I don't believe in God, but I really want to...
Hello, my name is Joe. I'm 21 years old and live in southern Louisiana. For the 21 years that I've been conscious, I've never believed in God. I've never had a reason to, and I've never really wanted to. I've always been one of those "I have to see it to believe it" type of people.

I've been to church a handful of times in my entire life, but never because I wanted to. The whole time I was ever there, the only thing I could think of other than going to sleep was how brainwashed I thought everyone was. Now please don't take that offensively as I never meant it to be, I just have never understood why people believe in God, miracles, or faith. To me, there's always been another scientific explanation for everything religion related.

Now that you know a little about the way I think, I'll stop boring you and get on with the topic of my thread. I appreciate that you've read this far.

I've always been somewhat fascinated with the idea of a God, faith, miracles, and blessings etc., but I've just never had any valid reason to believe in any of it. I honestly feel like I'm missing out on the whole 'religion' thing and I really do want to believe and be a part of it, but I just don't to be honest and I certainly don't want to act like I do just to fit in.

I suppose the reason I'm even typing this right now is because I wanted to meet or talk to someone who could perhaps give me some tips or advice on helping me 'believe'. If praying and miracles really do exist, then I could really use some of that in my life right now, but I would imagine that I really have to 'believe' in order for it all to work.

If anyone has anything to share, then please don't hesitate. If not, then I thank you for even reading this. At the very least you have learned a little something about me.

Thanks, and I look forward to any responses! Smile

Graphic Designer & Web Development - TaeKwonJoe.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2010, 03:31 AM
RE: I don't believe in God, but I really want to...
(08-04-2010 03:16 AM)Joe88 Wrote:  Hello, my name is Joe. I'm 21 years old and live in southern Louisiana. For the 21 years that I've been conscious, I've never believed in God. I've never had a reason to, and I've never really wanted to. I've always been one of those "I have to see it to believe it" type of people.

I've been to church a handful of times in my entire life, but never because I wanted to. The whole time I was ever there, the only thing I could think of other than going to sleep was how brainwashed I thought everyone was. Now please don't take that offensively as I never meant it to be, I just have never understood why people believe in God, miracles, or faith. To me, there's always been another scientific explanation for everything religion related.

Now that you know a little about the way I think, I'll stop boring you and get on with the topic of my thread. I appreciate that you've read this far.

I've always been somewhat fascinated with the idea of a God, faith, miracles, and blessings etc., but I've just never had any valid reason to believe in any of it. I honestly feel like I'm missing out on the whole 'religion' thing and I really do want to believe and be a part of it, but I just don't to be honest and I certainly don't want to act like I do just to fit in.

I suppose the reason I'm even typing this right now is because I wanted to meet or talk to someone who could perhaps give me some tips or advice on helping me 'believe'. If praying and miracles really do exist, then I could really use some of that in my life right now, but I would imagine that I really have to 'believe' in order for it all to work.

If anyone has anything to share, then please don't hesitate. If not, then I thank you for even reading this. At the very least you have learned a little something about me.

have you ever had a bible study with JEHOVAHS WITNESSES? they are christians but they are no part of CHRISTENDOM.

What the bible REALLY teaches is quite different to what CHRISTENDOM TEACHES.

CHRISTENDOM teaches manmade doctrines, such as hellfire, the trinity ,ect ect but JEHOVAHS WITNESSES are into what the bible REALLY teaches .

and rather than being bored IT WILL BE MOST ENLIGHTENING
08-04-2010, 03:35 AM
may, thank you for your reply but I'm sorry to say I have absolutely no earthly idea what you said.

08-04-2010, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2010 03:51 AM by may.)
(08-04-2010 03:35 AM)Joe88 Wrote:  may, thank you for your reply but I'm sorry to say I have absolutely no earthly idea what you said.

:)when a person takes in knowledge from the bible it all becomes clear .

do you have a bible ?

know the true God , read psalm 83 ;18
if you dont have a bible here is a good one online http://www.watchtower.org/e/bible/index.htm

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.psalm 83;18

the thread title said that you wanted to believe in God ,the bible tells us that his name is JEHOVAH
08-04-2010, 04:01 AM
Ah ok, and no I don't own a Bible myself but I'm sure I know someone who has one that I can borrow. I didn't think about starting to read it but I'll give it a shot!

Thanks.

08-04-2010, 04:04 AM
(08-04-2010 03:16 AM)Joe88 Wrote:  Hello, my name is Joe. I'm 21 years old and live in southern Louisiana. For the 21 years that I've been conscious, I've never believed in God. I've never had a reason to, and I've never really wanted to. I've always been one of those "I have to see it to believe it" type of people.

First off, don't feel bad questioning! The only way you're missing something is if you feel you're missing something. Myself, I've experienced too much to have an atheistic outlook, but my husband does and that's fine. Everyone has their own burden of proof for what they will believe. For example, most people on the internet think I'm black until they look at my avatar or I mention being white.

If you're going to pick up a faith, the key is to question, question, question. Look at it from every possible angle, ask the questions no one wants to answer, see if you can find a reasonable explanation. If things can easily be explained away, then they're not worth believing in.

Atheists don't have to miss out on anything, even though I know it can feel like that, but bonds of community can be formed over many things other than religion. The only thing, in my oopinion, you need to believe in, is yourself.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
08-04-2010, 04:09 AM
(08-04-2010 04:01 AM)Joe88 Wrote:  Ah ok, and no I don't own a Bible myself but I'm sure I know someone who has one that I can borrow. I didn't think about starting to read it but I'll give it a shot!

Thanks.

the bible has some nice little gems in there that are worth holding on too . in JOHN 17;3 JESUS said

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.
john 17;3

as mentioned earlier, the true God is JEHOVAH and its all in the bible about him, and its all in the bible about his son JESUS CHRIST .

SO take it in and hold on to it ,and it will lead to EVERLASTING LIFE

just as JESUS said
08-04-2010, 04:16 AM
While I don't agree with May's theology at all, being from a completely different religion, I do agree that the Bible is a good place to start with beginning religious study as it is the most widely available in many languages, which of course, leads to it's own problems, but that's a whole other story.

It also gives you a rundown of one of the most prominent religions' texts, and from there it's easy to compare to the older (The Tanakh) and the newer (The Quran) in Abrahamic studies, which can twist off into things like the Vedas (Hinduism), The Eddas (Norse paganism), the Kitáb-i-Aqdas (Baha'i), etc. etc. etc.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
08-04-2010, 04:26 AM

SEEK SEEK AND SEEK zepheniah 2;3

seek JEHOVAH,seek,RIGHTEOUSNESS, and seek MEEKNESS
08-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Did you get it may.......................scriptureese is incomprehensible to humans..............Big Grin

????????????????

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I don't know = it must be god! SimpleQuestions 34 1,492 09-22-2012 07:12 AM
Last Post: SimpleQuestions

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)