Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I find prayer offensive
07-13-2011, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2011 08:45 PM by StarStuff.)
I find prayer offensive
Or rather, I find it offensive when middle-class americans pray for [censored] they don't need.

Approximately 41,000 children died today as their prayers for food went unanswered for the last time (source).

And you want god to help your favorite football team win?

What makes you and your hypothetical promotion so god damn important?

Why the [censored] should god give you sunny weather for your vacation?

If you want to pray for the health of your friends and family, sure, go for it. It's only natural to value those close to you over those you've never met, and I take no offense at this.

But if you seriously think god should help you win a hand of blackjack when he can't be bothered to save a bunch of dying kids, then [censored] you and [censored] whatever god you pray to.

(posted here instead of facebook so i can vent without alienating a couple close friends)

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2011, 12:07 AM
RE: I find prayer offensive
Tefilla means joining or connecting.That's all prayer is, a connection between you and God. Kind of like God talking to Himself through you. So its OK to ask for everything you want. But the trick is to remember Who you are asking. And ask yourself if you can you do atleast the same you asking for
Everything is give and take, we just tend to take a tad more. Point well taken GT
07-14-2011, 07:14 AM
You know what talking to yourself is a sign of? Might be something to that........just saying

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
07-14-2011, 09:19 AM
(07-13-2011 08:41 PM)Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:  Or rather, I find it offensive when middle-class americans pray for [censored] they don't need.
Approximately 41,000 children died today as their prayers for food went unanswered for the last time (source).
If you want to pray for the health of your friends and family, sure, go for it. It's only natural to value those close to you over those you've never met, and I take no offense at this.
But if you seriously think god should help you win a hand of blackjack when he can't be bothered to save a bunch of dying kids, then [censored] you and [censored] whatever god you pray to.
(posted here instead of facebook so i can vent without alienating a couple close friends)

I'm a big fan of prayer. However, in my life, in my faith, prayer is a part of the personal relationship I have with Jesus. It sickens me that people pray to win the lottery or pray to :fill in the blank:. It is, to me, yet another abuse and misuse of a particular scripture (Psalms 37:4) about being given the desires of your heart, among others.

It's sad, to me, that people who are supposed to be of faith, are ignorant of the practices, the scripture and, by all accounts, have no relationship and simply go through whatever motions they think they pick up on Sunday.
07-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah, he calls them the hypocrites who pray to be seen praying by other people. He says go in your closet and pray so that your father who sees in secret may reward you openly.

I've seen a passage that supports exactly what Allison is saying but can't think of it now. That God doesn't like people going through the motions they learned in church.
07-14-2011, 09:56 AM
(07-14-2011 09:19 AM)Alison2 Wrote:  
(07-13-2011 08:41 PM)Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:  Or rather, I find it offensive when middle-class americans pray for [censored] they don't need.

I'm a big fan of prayer. However, in my life, in my faith, prayer is a part of the personal relationship I have with Jesus.

And I have no objections at all to this sort of prayer. I think it's fine to pray as a means of speaking to god, and it's fine to pray for the health of those close to you, but beyond that, to ask god for anything that you/your loved ones don't need for survival shows a level of arrogance and callousness that defies description.

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
(07-14-2011 09:56 AM)Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:  And I have no objections at all to this sort of prayer. I think it's fine to pray as a means of speaking to god, and it's fine to pray for the health of those close to you, but beyond that, to ask god for anything that you/your loved ones don't need for survival shows a level of arrogance and callousness that defies description.

Which led to the second paragraph ... it seems to me that it's mostly people who have no clue about their faith or it's practices. One who delves into their faith knows the difference. The lottery ticket/football game/sunshine on vacation praying person doesn't give God the time of day any other time ... just when they want a quick fix or a self-centered answer.
07-14-2011, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2011 07:01 PM by bushbaby.)

God must be the most patient being...I mean....to take [censored] from [censored] cursing bustards. It remains me the day my brother and I watched Jesus[the movie] for the fast time. My brother was so angry that he said If he were Jesus, He{as Jesus} would turn all those soldiers that were battering him{Jesus} in to ants. Jesus dying for the sins of mankind shows that God can weather the storm of scorn from ignorant people.

GT, why are you drowning in anger that is uncalled for?!...This is the funny thing I find of atheists, they claim a no God yet they can afford some time off to curse a fictional character! Baring in mind that GT just posted Atheism FAQs, You would be the last person I expect to be bothered about weather a person prays for a lottery or a sick child. That is called intolerance and hypocrisy!

(07-14-2011 09:19 AM)Alison2 Wrote:  I'm a big fan of prayer. However, in my life, in my faith, prayer is a part of the personal relationship I have with Jesus. It sickens me that people pray to win the lottery or pray to :fill in the blank:. It is, to me, yet another abuse and misuse of a particular scripture (Psalms 37:4) about being given the desires of your heart, among others.

Now Ali, who are you to tell people what to pray for in their lives?.....Do you know why that person is praying for a lottery win? may be the person has a huge debt and they need the lottery money to bail them out. This could what makes people of God very hypocritical.

Why do you want to confine God to problems only?
What is wrong with praying for your team?
What is the problem of letting God lead your way when you are going to club?

Am sure God wants to be part of your life daily, In joy and sorrow, next to you when you win the lottery, and next to you when you sick, next you when you joke and next to you when you are serious.

Everything in life is a miracle. It's because miracles are so common that people tend to ignore them.

You should learn to be casual with God, His you Father, your Brother, your BFF....."Ask and you shall receive"....It doesn't come with specifications you know....Remember God wants to be part of your fun life as well.
07-14-2011, 09:26 PM
(07-14-2011 06:44 PM)bushbaby Wrote:  GT, why are you drowning in anger that is uncalled for?!...This is the funny thing I find of atheists, they claim a no God yet they can afford some time off to curse a fictional character! Baring in mind that GT just posted Atheism FAQs, You would be the last person I expect to be bothered about weather a person prays for a lottery or a sick child. That is called intolerance and hypocrisy!

I am not angry or offended by god or by the belief in god. I am horrified, however, by the level of arrogance it takes for some people to pray for the [censored] they (very publicly) pray for, and disgusted by the way they use religion to disguise this egocentrism as humility. My anger is not at any concept of god -- that would be truly pointless. My anger is at the shallowness of certain among my fellow human beings.

Quote:You should learn to be casual with God, His you Father, your Brother, your BFF....."Ask and you shall receive"....It doesn't come with specifications you know....Remember God wants to be part of your fun life as well.

Yeah, he wants to be part of my fun life.... but just mine, not all the starving kids in the world. [censored] those kids, amirite?

-Ann Druyan
07-15-2011, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2011 09:06 AM by Alison2.)
(07-14-2011 06:44 PM)bushbaby Wrote:  Now Ali, who are you to tell people what to pray for in their lives?.....Do you know why that person is praying for a lottery win? may be the person has a huge debt and they need the lottery money to bail them out. This could what makes people of God very hypocritical.

I’m not really sure where you saw that I was telling anyone what to pray for, but, I’m not reading a post through your eyes. In my personal life, when I’ve had times of financial trouble, I spent a great deal of time in prayer about my situation. According to my faith practice, I asked for many things: guidance, wisdom, knowledge for the right pathways, to have all of these things come together so that I would know how to get myself out of the situation. I didn’t just send God a shout-out to make my lottery ticket be the digits for the million+ jackpot. I know, as in my faith practice, that God never fails me and always gives me a way out. There is a great deal more involved in this, but I really don’t think you want to get into that and have any respect at all for my opinions of my faith practice.

(07-14-2011 06:44 PM)bushbaby Wrote:  [color=#000080] Why do you want to confine God to problems only? What is wrong with praying for your team? What is the problem of letting God lead your way when you are going to club?

I have never ‘confined God to problems only.’ You don’t know me, you don’t know my prayer time, but I’ll share, in the hopes that you will recognize that my faith practices are mine, not a pigeon-hole practice of millions of Christians. The majority of my prayer time is spent in giving thanks for all that I have been given, from my salvation and grace to my family to the many other things such as a great job, reliable transportation, a home, food, clothes, etc. I live a very simple life, without a great deal of excess. I have enough … more than enough, in fact, as my family and I never go to bed hungry, we have clean, though well-worn clothes, and a home that meets all of our needs. For all of these things, and much, much more, I am profoundly grateful, and I spend a great deal of time giving thanks.

I pray year round for sports teams, Bush, but not for the win. I pray for the safety of the players, the ability for the guys & coaches to show good sportsmanship and conduct and the safety of their travels. I haven’t missed a Friday night high school football game in nine years, and I have two more to go before my youngest is finished. The wins are nice, and we are a state championship team with four years of runner-up titles, too. But none of that matters. What matters is that my sons have been able to walk off the field, largely unharmed, as have the other players. Last season, my son was injured, on the low side of serious. Do I think my prayers were unanswered? Nope. I was thankful it was only cracked ribs and a bruised calf, because for a short amount of time, we were looking at a ruptured spleen and punctured lung. There’s my miracle, Bush. And my thanks, gratitude and blessing. There’s my win.

(07-14-2011 06:44 PM)bushbaby Wrote:  [color=#000080]Am sure God wants to be part of your life daily, In joy and sorrow, next to you when you win the lottery, and next to you when you sick, next you when you joke and next to you when you are serious. You should learn to be casual with God, His you Father, your Brother, your BFF....."Ask and you shall receive"....It doesn't come with specifications you know....Remember God wants to be part of your fun life as well.

I’m sure you mean well with these statements, but you have no idea what my relationship is with God. I know what my faith teaches … I know that God understands my joys, my sorrows, my laughter, my tears and my anger. He can take it. He can take it all. The reason I have a ‘fun life’ is because of Him. I know in whom I believe. I know from where my blessings come. I know who holds my tomorrow. I know who carries me every second of every minute of every day. And I can promise you that I don’t need you to tell me to be casual with God. There is nothing casual about my relationship with God. There is nothing casual about my salvation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Find Peace luvurcreator 64 2,061 05-26-2017 09:23 AM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
  How to find peace? surrendersacrifice 5 664 07-22-2013 04:45 PM
Last Post: nihilist666
  Find the Best Religion for You DanaDana 6 876 06-21-2011 02:34 PM
Last Post: Painkiller
  Help me find a gift friedsushi87 9 1,448 12-21-2010 12:17 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
Exclamation Darkness and how to find it. sereda008 6 1,118 01-22-2010 12:57 PM
Last Post: sereda008

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)