Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm So Confused
09-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Exclamation I'm So Confused
I'm 19 years old. I went to a Lutheran grade school and high school. Before I would consider myself a Christian. But now, I don't know what I believe anymore. I do believe that everything was put here by something but by what or who I'm not sure. I do believe that there I after death. But as far as that there is a God, I'm not sure. I can't wrap my head around the idea that there is someone out there who LOVES all his children but yet there is so much disaster going on in the world. I am starting not to even believe what the Bible says, when I read and hear it, I just have to laugh at some of the things that is said. Its really hard for me to talk to people about this, because all my friends are Christian, but not the hardcore type of Christian but they believe there is a God and Heaven, and look at me like I'm crazy when I question why they believe this. I just feel like all these years this idea of there being a God and Heaven have been embedded in our heads that we feel like there is no other way, but there are so many other options that could have actually happen. My family just looks at me like I've been brainwashed, and that people here on campus have made me think like this, but I have been thinking like this for the past year and a half, and now its getting harder because the more think about it, the more confused I get, and I have no one to talk to; I am alone on this. When I try to talk to my mom she just yells at me and tells me I'm going to hell. I remember I asked my Religion teacher senior year if questioning your faith is a sin, and he told me yes, because you are suppose to believe in God no matter what. I just can't believe in something that I can't see, touch, or feel. And its hard because I have no one else I can talk to about this. So maybe, I don't know, somewhere out here can give me some sort of advice or anything to help me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2008, 02:41 PM
RE: I'm So Confused
oh_heyy Wrote:I'm 19 years old. I went to a Lutheran grade school and high school. Before I would consider myself a Christian. But now, I don't know what I believe anymore. I do believe that everything was put here by something but by what or who I'm not sure. I do believe that there I after death. But as far as that there is a God, I'm not sure. I can't wrap my head around the idea that there is someone out there who LOVES all his children but yet there is so much disaster going on in the world. I am starting not to even believe what the Bible says, when I read and hear it, I just have to laugh at some of the things that is said. Its really hard for me to talk to people about this, because all my friends are Christian, but not the hardcore type of Christian but they believe there is a God and Heaven, and look at me like I'm crazy when I question why they believe this. I just feel like all these years this idea of there being a God and Heaven have been embedded in our heads that we feel like there is no other way, but there are so many other options that could have actually happen. My family just looks at me like I've been brainwashed, and that people here on campus have made me think like this, but I have been thinking like this for the past year and a half, and now its getting harder because the more think about it, the more confused I get, and I have no one to talk to; I am alone on this. When I try to talk to my mom she just yells at me and tells me I'm going to hell. I remember I asked my Religion teacher senior year if questioning your faith is a sin, and he told me yes, because you are suppose to believe in God no matter what. I just can't believe in something that I can't see, touch, or feel. And its hard because I have no one else I can talk to about this. So maybe, I don't know, somewhere out here can give me some sort of advice or anything to help me.

Personally, I think it's great you have begun to question the faith you were raised with. It shows an open mind eager to learn.

Now, belief is an extremely personal thing. Even two people sitting next to each other in church may have differing opinions regarding their faith. Since articles of faith, by their very definition, can not be scientifically proven, ALL religious belief is on equal footing. What I would suggest to you is to do some research. There are many, many religions out there...see if any of them appeal to you. If you find one that matches the beliefs you already have, great! If not, agnosticism may be right for you - you kinda get to make up your own belief system. Smile Or, if your research leads you to believe there is no god, atheism is ok too! Ultimately, they are YOUR beliefs. I urge you to pick or create some that are based on at least a little evidence; but even a casual review of established religions makes it clear this is not necessary. Wink

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
10-05-2008, 09:22 PM
First day on this forum and just saw Relugous but let me share.

I was in your place over 30 years ago, although parents did not yell or give me much grief.

The encouraging words I remember much later were actually from a Methodist Minister who said ... sure you are welcome in my church, sure I have questioned my faith, and most importantly " that we are all on a journey to know God".

I still do not know anything about whether god exists. I read at least a 100 books from at least 5 different religions and met O'Hare and still did not have understanding.

I finally understand that it is the 1) journey that is important and 2) do not accept being treated unjustly by devote Christians. Best of luck and learn to enjoy uncertainty.

oh_heyy Wrote:I'm 19 years old. I went to a Lutheran grade school and high school. Before I would consider myself a Christian. But now, I don't know what I believe anymore. I do believe that everything was put here by something but by what or who I'm not sure. I do believe that there I after death. But as far as that there is a God, I'm not sure. I can't wrap my head around the idea that there is someone out there who LOVES all his children but yet there is so much disaster going on in the world. I am starting not to even believe what the Bible says, when I read and hear it, I just have to laugh at some of the things that is said. Its really hard for me to talk to people about this, because all my friends are Christian, but not the hardcore type of Christian but they believe there is a God and Heaven, and look at me like I'm crazy when I question why they believe this. I just feel like all these years this idea of there being a God and Heaven have been embedded in our heads that we feel like there is no other way, but there are so many other options that could have actually happen. My family just looks at me like I've been brainwashed, and that people here on campus have made me think like this, but I have been thinking like this for the past year and a half, and now its getting harder because the more think about it, the more confused I get, and I have no one to talk to; I am alone on this. When I try to talk to my mom she just yells at me and tells me I'm going to hell. I remember I asked my Religion teacher senior year if questioning your faith is a sin, and he told me yes, because you are suppose to believe in God no matter what. I just can't believe in something that I can't see, touch, or feel. And its hard because I have no one else I can talk to about this. So maybe, I don't know, somewhere out here can give me some sort of advice or anything to help me.
10-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Seriously? I mean I understand that Christianity is sort of like the default and everyone seems to be raised with it, but I've honestly met like 5 people who are really devout about it. If people are getting mad at you for not believing in something, does that really sound like the kind of people you want to be around? I think 19 is old enough to make your own decisions, whether your mother yells at you or not. Don't let people force you into believing in something, because doesn't that defeat the purpose of believing in it? Anyway, I just can't wrap my head around why people feel so strongly about this stuff. If someone doesn't want to believe in it then leave them alone, no?
10-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a friend that is devoutly vehemently Christian and wants to bring, almost force, others to believe as he does. For him, he has always been at odds with the world (lost in the world) and always searching for a cause to believe in. First it was Science Fiction reading, then the Army, then Karate, then a nervous breakdown where he lost weight and jobs and almost died, and in the depths of despair, he found Christianity to hold his world together.

What better place for a lost soul looking for a place to rest where all your actions and your path forward is already written down in a book and you can pray and cause the bad to go away and others will pray with you and together make the bad go away and after death heaven.

Why would think that so many Christians become born again in the depths of despair?
10-07-2008, 10:10 AM

i would even ask yourself why you think everything was placed here by a something.

i look at the world and ask questions about things that are presented to me as true or factual. i want to know why. what evidence is there to support the claim. if there is no real physical evidence, well you better have some solid math to make your point. having the peer reviews of the scientific community is a big plus too.

good luck with your search and try to make it fun. none of it matters in the end.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

-Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek
11-07-2008, 08:30 AM

Oh hey oh_heyy. Cute name.
There are a lot of people going through what you are with doubt and questions of faith. But don't feel guilty because you have questions. I think there are very few Christians who can say they have never had any questions of faith if they are honest. Some parents panic when their children start questioning and don't know how to handle it, so they do and say the wrong things. But it really isn't anyone’s fault. It’s hard to know what to do when it comes to raising the children we love. As parents we make a lot of mistakes. And as children we made a lot of mistakes and are afraid that our loved ones will do some of the same things. Sometimes we don't know how to protect you, so we panic and do the wrong things.
So that is enough of making excuses for parents. You have lots of reasons to doubt God, and its ok to say so. God doesn't get worried when you search for the truth.
Matthew 7:7
[ Ask, Seek, Knock ] "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you".
If you are sincere in your search for answers, that door can open for you too.
Trust me, I know how you feel. I've had lots of reasons to question the existence of God, but now all my doubt is gone. I have never had more faith in God than I do now.
I wish you well. God bless you in your search.
11-07-2008, 08:42 PM
You really shouldn't see this as a failing of the parents, im much more impressed by parents that allow children to question, search and learn than those that indoctrinate them in one religion or belief as true from birth. The idea of being born into a religion is one that is inherently wrong, people should be taught to think and make up their own minds and so I encourage you to search for your answers in everway possible regardless of any criticsim from those around you, its your life mate.

my atheism is just like your religion
only i subtract 1 one more god
11-08-2008, 02:22 PM
It’s wonderful to have parents who care enough to be concerned what you believe. Our parents are supposed to teach us and help us avoid mistakes. Faith in God is one of the most important things our parents can pass down. There are lots of voices out there, and many of them can really get us confused. Godly parents are true blessings who aren't often recognized.
11-08-2008, 07:03 PM
If my parents were Nazi's they could indoctrinate me with their Nazist tendencies (not that im saying religion is openly evil like this but you get my idea), even if the parents are good well intentioned people it is never a good thing for a child to rely on other to decide their beliefs. I have profound respect for Oh hey for refusing to simply follow in their footsteps unquestioningly, go out and see the world and make your own decisions and find a state of belief you are happy with because you have found it yourself.

my atheism is just like your religion
only i subtract 1 one more god

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)