Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm not criticizing all of you, just the ones I know.
11-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm not criticizing all of you, just the ones I know.
Why is it that all the Atheists at my school automatically assume that those who follow a religion are stupid? It's also fun to note that these aren't logical Atheists, more like "trendy" Atheists.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2009, 03:49 PM
RE: I'm not criticizing all of you, just the ones I know.
I'd guess it's because they don't know what they're talking about, especially if they are just doing it because everyone else does, rather than it being an opinion they have come to.

I realise I can come across a little bit like that sometimes, but I would never assume a theist is ignorant. Whilst I don't feel there is any definite proof that there is a God, there is also no definite proof there isn't. Religious ideas are as old as our species, and though I may object to religious people who ignore evidence (if he was actually being serious, then Dmanao is a good example of this), I certainly think people should be respected for their beliefs.

Do you get stick for being a Catholic from these guys at your school Babylon? It could be an age thing I guess too; you say you're at school, but I don't know how old you are, but it could just be they are immature.

When I was teaching telling kids I was atheist actually helped me get through to them, as their immediate responce was "Why do you teach RE then?" and it made them think that perhaps there was more to the subject than merely being a 'God botherer'. Hopefully your classmates will grow up a bit.
11-29-2009, 04:12 PM
I know plenty of theists who are far smarter than I. But that doesn't mean I should trust them when it comes to assertions that rely solely on faith. Faith is not about intelligence; it is at most a basic assumption about reality – an assumption that I do not share.

Because belief requires no proof, and requires only the presumption of truth, it is possible for smart AND dumb people to believe in God.

---------------
Not selling anything.
11-30-2009, 05:12 PM
I respect logical Atheists in that they actually know how to back their ideas as opposed to just tossing sly comments out. That's the reason I'm posting, it's a funny story to tell you the truth.

I'm at lunch when some random kid sits down at my table and pulls my bracelet off. He looks at it for a second and asks what the pictures on them are of. I have to blatantly assume that this kid was trying something because who else would be pinned up on a cross on a bracelet with images of angels and a virgin? So anyways, I tell this kid who's on there and he responds by saying that Jesus never existed, he's a myth, etc. So I ask him if he can back that up. He just says the same stuff over and over until I tell him that he's not an Atheist or an Antitheist; he's just ignorant and doesn't know what he's talking about. So now this punk walks in the hallways around me saying the same stuff and when I ask him to back anything up he just reiterates what he has been saying the entire time! I'm not going to bother saying anything to him because I know that he doesn't know what he's talking about in the first place.

I respect people like you two, but I don't respect punks who see Atheism as nothing more than a trend.
11-30-2009, 05:25 PM
This guy sounds like a total twat, and is very immature. To be honest, I was a bit disrespectful towards religious people between about 15 & 16, but I grew up.

Just ignore him. He's got no clue, and that's backed up by the fact that most of the atheists on here also think that there was a historical Jesus.

Do you know any more info on this guy? You might be able to make him look stupid and so shut him up that way. Do you share any classes?

Have you thought about putting a pool ball in a sock and smacking him in the face? No, don't do that!!! I'm only joking!!!!!!!
11-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes, he is very immature, but I'll get over it. I may sound young and stupid now that all of you know that I'm in High School, but I'm really advanced for my understanding of dogma and church teachings. In fact I am one of the teachers at the RCIA classes at my church (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults).
11-30-2009, 07:13 PM
It's just a shame you have to put up with that really.

By the way, you certainly don't come across young or stupid; far from it. You know your stuff, write very well, and I personally always enjoy your comments.

How do you find teaching? Daunting at first, I'd guess. I presume from what RCIA stands for you teach adults?
11-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I was actually asked to come and teach the class, I'm not exactly sure why they chose me, I was just Confirmed into the church as of last Easter. I was taking the class last year with the rest of the adults because I had never attended Mass or anything like that before that and after I was confirmed on the Easter Vigil I was offered to take more classes over the summer. I took the classes, most of them were on mysticism and the Rosary and when those classes were done they offered me to teach the Candidates and Catechumens for this year. Well anyways, I said yes, but I turned down teaching the actual classes because I was frightened that I would mess up or teach something that our priest would rather me not teach*. I come in as the normal teachers, but I work with the students in small groups and answer their questions.

*I like the priest, but I'm not sure if he is one of those Catholics that believe in mysticism, miracles, etc.
12-01-2009, 05:06 AM
(11-29-2009 02:39 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  Why is it that all the Atheists at my school automatically assume that those who follow a religion are stupid? It's also fun to note that these aren't logical Atheists, more like "trendy" Atheists.

I'm a hardcore atheist, but I share most Christian values because most current Christian values are based on what is good for the future of the human species. I was a Christian until I was 20, since then I have been an atheist for 45 years. Higher math will tell you that I just started on medicare. I have a masters in mechanical engineering, and I worked as an engineer for 38 years.

I find myself aligned with most Christians on political issues, but the Bible has always scared me. Admonitions to stone blasphemers to death (Leviticus 24:16) and to kill witches (Exodus 22:18), I find to be immoral and primitive. Lots of Christians tell me don't worry about that, we don't take it seriously, yet they also don't feel challenged to upgrade their morality manual.
12-01-2009, 10:27 AM
(12-01-2009 05:06 AM)rm10 Wrote:  I'm a hardcore atheist, but I share most Christian values because most current Christian values are based on what is good for the future of the human species. I was a Christian until I was 20, since then I have been an atheist for 45 years. Higher math will tell you that I just started on medicare. I have a masters in mechanical engineering, and I worked as an engineer for 38 years.

I find myself aligned with most Christians on political issues, but the Bible has always scared me. Admonitions to stone blasphemers to death (Leviticus 24:16) and to kill witches (Exodus 22:18), I find to be immoral and primitive. Lots of Christians tell me don't worry about that, we don't take it seriously, yet they also don't feel challenged to upgrade their morality manual.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find some interesting conversations.

I like what you've said here. I was never raised a Christian, but I too agree that Christian values are often very possitive, and the charity work, etc, blows me away with how kind some people can be to others. Whether it's religiously motivated or not, that should always be respected in my opinion.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)