Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
I need a religion
07-17-2009, 11:41 PM
I need a religion
i have recentley been thinking about which religion is right for me. that is why i joined these forums. if anyone has any ideas please post below. firstly i dont like any cults or super strict religions but religions still must have rules and boundarys. i also believe there is a god. anyone have any ideas?

and i know i havent made a list of things i want in a religion but thats because im asking wat u think.Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2009, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2009 01:39 AM by Arend.)
RE: I need a religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please reply, i am really stuck here. to make it easier here is a list of the things i beleive in a religion:
A higher power, some science involved, an afterlife or heaven, how the universe was created. i cant think of anymore at the moment but i hope thats a start. please dont say catholic, anglican, protestant, mormon or buhdist because those are the ones ive thought about and haven't really agreed with. please reply.
07-18-2009, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2009 05:40 AM by Anglican.)
RE: I need a religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(07-18-2009 01:28 AM)Arend Wrote:  some science involved,

Don't mix religion and science; they are about two fundamentally different things. If you do try to mix them you will certainly end up with some nutty sect, mixing sci-fi with with belief in the magical powers of crystals and secret messages hidden in some ancient text or other.

Quote:how the universe was created.

You don't need religion for how the universe was created. You might need it for why, or by whom, it was created. The "how" belongs to science.

Quote:i cant think of anymore at the moment but i hope thats a start.

Which religion you ought to belong to is for you to decide. However, if you do believe that God exists, the question to be answered is not what you want, be what he wants. Listen to your inner promptings (even if you do feel uncomfortable with the direction you are being prompted to take).

(07-17-2009 11:41 PM)Arend Wrote:  i dont like any cults or super strict religions but religions still must have rules and boundarys.

You might be right about cults. However, religion is not like going into a super market and buying whichever brand best takes your fancy. You are trying to make the decision which really belongs to that "higher power," and your job is to try and find out what he wants.

A WORD OF WARNING:
You may have noticed that this forum has recently become plastered with postings by somebody called Rapheal. You can take the advice of whoever you want, but he just seems to like the sound of his own voice (and his own reflection in the mirror).
07-18-2009, 06:59 AM
RE: I need a religion
Thanks for the heads up on that Raphael guy, anyway what i really was trying to say is i just want some advice on what religions people think would be right for others and i would take them into consideration and research them to find the right one for me. and i do realize it is not a supermarket where you walk in and pick which brand and when i said "with some science in it" i meant maybe things like scientology or something like that. please post religion you think would be right for me below, thankyou.Smile
07-18-2009, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2009 07:19 AM by Anglican.)
(07-18-2009 06:59 AM)Arend Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up on that Raphael guy, anyway what i really was trying to say is i just want some advice on what religions people think would be right for others and i would take them into consideration and research them to find the right one for me. and i do realize it is not a supermarket where you walk in and pick which brand and when i said "with some science in it" i meant maybe things like scientology or something like that. please post religion you think would be right for me below, thankyou.Smile

Scientology is precisely the kind of nutty cluster religion I referred to. It was founded by somebody called L Ron Hubbard, who made no secret of the fact that he saw it as a way of making a fast buck.

Other than that, there is no way anybody on here can tell you which religion you should belong to You will have to find that out for yourself - perhaps by talking to some representatives of the different religions.

In the case of Christianity you might try Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, URC. From them you would probably get a more open minded response than from some other Christian denominations.

The other may stream religions are Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism Sikhism or Islam (but as with Christianity, be careful who you talk to in the case of Islam).

The decision is yours - and nobody on here can help on the basis of a couple of paragraphs written by you. If you talk to members of the different religions, they will have time to get to know you.
07-18-2009, 08:24 AM
(07-17-2009 11:41 PM)Arend Wrote:  i have recentley been thinking about which religion is right for me. that is why i joined these forums. if anyone has any ideas please post below. firstly i dont like any cults or super strict religions but religions still must have rules and boundarys. i also believe there is a god. anyone have any ideas?

and i know i havent made a list of things i want in a religion but thats because im asking wat u think.Smile

Perhaps as an aid to identifying a faith that accords with your personal beliefs, you could consider partaking in the Belief-O-Matic quiz.

I had a bash at it and received the following results:

1.Secular Humanism(100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (93%)
3. Nontheist (82%)
4. Liberal Quakers (74%)
5. Theravada Buddhism (66%)
6. Neo-Pagan (65%)
7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (62%)
8. Taoism (53%)
9. Reform Judaism (48%)
10. New Age (48%)
11. Baha'i Faith (34%)
12. Orthodox Quaker (34%)
13. Sikhism (34%)
14. Mahayana Buddhism (34%)
15. Scientology (34%)
16. New Thought (31%)
17. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (27%)
18. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (24%)
19. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (22%)
20. Eastern Orthodox (18%)
21. Islam (18%)
22. Jainism (18%)
23. Orthodox Judaism (18%)
24. Roman Catholic (18%)
25. Seventh Day Adventist (13%)
26. Hinduism (6%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (0%)
07-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Heh. That's an interesting quiz. I somewhat doubt its relevancy, though, a lot of the questions seemed far too limited in scope, and in general christian-biased. But still, fun times.

Here's my thing, and how I became what I am (which is atheist.) I was not certain what the truth was. I knew that the church I was raised in did not have it, but I was not willing to abandon Christianity all together just because I happened to have been raised by crazy fundamentalists. So I determined to start looking for the truth.

That's the sole guiding function. The truth. Luckily I've always been pretty good at analysis of arguments and cutting through propaganda and rhetoric, so I was fairly well equipped for this. I started by researching Christianity, and then I expanded my studies to other faiths. I also began looking at the works of noted atheists around this time.

I'm not going to tell you what you should be. But I am going to suggest that you look at the truth. Cast a wide net. Don't limit yourself. Analyze your biases, and rigorously destroy them whenever you find them. Try to start from nothing, and look at all the faiths based solely on their merits, and most importantly by how much they accurately reflect the reality around us.

Do this, and you'll be well on your way to finding the right faith.

Oh - and in general, stay away from religion. Religion is a man-made construct used to contain a faith, and I don't know of a single one that is free from corruption. Stick with simple faith.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
07-18-2009, 08:03 PM
can someone plz reply and tell me the religion they follow and why they think its the right one instead of telling me what ive said wrong.Sad
07-18-2009, 09:24 PM
I offer the following religion for consideration with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

The MerryAtheist Rellgion.
Please send all your liquid assets to me, and I will, in return, secure your place in the afterlife. 100% Guaranteed or your money back.

On a serious note, it seems just a bit disingenuous to ask total strangers for advice on a decision that is of such a personal nature - on the internet, no less. I sense a lack of seriousness in your plea. Prove me wrong.

---------------
Not selling anything.
07-18-2009, 10:59 PM
i see where your coming from but i would like to tell you why i am asking people. i think that my own opinion could be a bit bias against other religions because i was raised as a christian (but it didn't seem right for me) and i might not even think of some of the religions people tell me about. but i can assure you i am serious about this. and i am asking people on this site because i would consider alot of them quite knowledgeable in the feild of religion. and by the way you aren't getting any of my money!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)