Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I need advice from someone.
02-16-2010, 05:07 PM
I need advice from someone.
I have ordered a Quran. I would like to know from my fellow Christians if this is really a sin. I am not going to use it as a worshiping tool, I am simply reading it to see the ideas expressed in it. I have been respecting like the website told me to. I am afraid that others will see this as a sin and that people will think negatively about me. So, is it a sin or can I go to sleep tonight without worrying that I shall be smote by God?

I am a proud Catholic by the way and would never want to go against the religion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2010 05:43 PM by Stereophonic.)
RE: I need advice from someone.
You're not serious, are you? Of course it is no sin to read the sacred literature of other religions.

The best translation is from M.A.S. Abdel Haleem. This one is easy to read, as it is comparable in translation style to the thought-for-thought New Living Translation of the Bible

Another good translation is by Majid Fakhry. This one carries the Islamic equivalent of an imprimatur, but it is more difficult to read, as it is similar in translation style to the very literal, word-for-word New American Standard Bible

Most of the other Qur'anic translations out there are clumsy, awkward, and/or archaic (like the King James Version or the NKJV Bibles).

Although any principles for Muslim-Christian dialogue are pretty much absent and ignored on this forum, you still might want to look into Guidelines for Dialogue between Christians and Muslims

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
02-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Sadly I was serious, haha. I was getting a bit frightened on how other people would look at me.
02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
The official translation of the Holy Quran by Ahmadiyya Muslim Community is online:

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/index.php

I think the best translation for someone who grew up and lived in the West will be by Sir Zafrulla Khan.

http://www.amazon.com/Quran-Revelation-V...=8-1-fkmr1

On Ebay you can perhaps find it at a very small price.

Let me introduce the translator from Encyclopedia Britannica:

"Sir Muhammad Zafrulla Khan was a Pakistani politician, diplomat, and international jurist, known particularly for his representation of Pakistan at the United Nations (UN).

The son of the leading attorney of his native city, Zafrulla Khan studied at Government College in Lahore and received his LL.B. from King's College, London University, in 1914. He practiced law in Sialkot and Lahore, became a member of the Punjab Legislative Council in 1926, and was a delegate in 1930, 1931, and 1932 to the Round Table Conferences on Indian reforms in London. In 1931–32 he was president of the All-India Muslim League (later the Muslim League), and he sat on the British viceroy's executive council as its Muslim member from 1935 to 1941. He led the Indian delegation to the League of Nations in 1939, and from 1941 to 1947 he served as a judge of the Federal Court of India.

Prior to the partition of India in 1947, Zafrulla Khan presented the Muslim League's view of the future boundaries of Pakistan to Sir Cyril Radcliffe, the man designated to decide the boundaries between India and Pakistan. Upon the independence of Pakistan, Zafrulla Khan became the new country's minister of foreign affairs and served concurrently as leader of Pakistan's delegation to the UN (1947–54). From 1954 to 1961 he served as a member of the International Court of Justice at The Hague. He again represented Pakistan at the UN in 1961–64 and served as president of the UN General Assembly in 1962–63. Returning to the International Court of Justice in 1964, he served as the court's president from 1970 to 1973.

He was knighted in 1935. He is the author of Islam: Its Meaning for Modern Man (1962) and wrote a translation of the Qur'an (1970)." [Encylopaedia Britannica]

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
02-16-2010, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2010 07:01 PM by Zagreus.)
(02-16-2010 05:22 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  Of course it is no sin to read the sacred literature of other religions.

I'm glad about this too. It's bad enough how much trouble I'll be in for not believing in God, let alone extra sin for reading everyone else's texts!
Holy Babylon, it did cross my mind to answer your question in the style of Cathstation, but I thought better of it. Not sure I could get the condemnation quite right!

Seriously though, kudos for getting a Qur'an. I personally think it's very important to try to get a handle on other people's views. You always impress me in this respect.
02-16-2010, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2010 07:59 PM by Ahmadi.)
Holy Babylon

Additionally, owning a Quran would put you in good company, President Thomas Jefferson owned one. The first Muslim congressman used that copy for his oath ceremony.

God knows, what great things will be associated with your Quran.

Additionally, you do not have to buy the indulgences from Church at full price, we have those on sale!Wink

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
02-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I was given my Quran by a good Ahmadiyyah Muslim friend of mine (we joke together about both of us being heretics to our mainstream religious brethren). I've read it a couple of times and, frankly, I find Muhammad's whole tone in the Quran's to be sinister with heavy reliance on scare tactics to coerce belief in Allah, a quite vengeful deity. It's good to see why and where Christianity exceeds the Old Testament and Muhummad's Islamic morality. Read it and I'd like to know if you or anyone else finds the Quran to have a sinister feeling to it.
02-17-2010, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2010 06:37 PM by Stereophonic.)
(02-17-2010 06:21 PM)biomystic Wrote:  ...Read it and I'd like to know if you or anyone else finds the Quran to have a sinister feeling to it.

I've read it cover-to-cover in three different English translations (Dawood, Abdel-Haleem, and Shakir) and parts of it in Fahkry's English translation (and I've of course compared verses here and there with other translations available on the Internet).

I don't find it sinister so much as repetitive, hackneyed, derivative, and vacuous. If it possessed even an "atom's weight" of literary merit, then I would consider it sinister--but as it is, it seems not sinister but rather stultifying. No wonder few Muslims actually read it (reciting ancient Arabic syllables which they don't understand doesn't really count as "reading"). Most of their Islamic preaching stems from commentaries rather than from the Qur'an itself.

02-17-2010, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2010 08:27 PM by Stereophonic.)
I should also clarify that just because it doesn't rise to the level of "sinister" for me as I read it, nevertheless one cannot deny that it has sinister effects on many/most people who claim to be motivated by it. We have only to look at the effects it has had in creating some of the most repressive and barbaric societies on the planet today--and closer to home, we can also look right here on our own forum, at the egregious behavior of the Muslims who post and lecture here, but never listen to others.

02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
I do not know enough Arabic but I have mastered enough that most verses of the Holy Quran make sense to me.

Let me here quote from the experience of German philosopher Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. He said, "As often as we approach the Quran, it always proves repulsive anew; gradually, however, it attracts, it astonishes, and, in the end forces admiration." Stereophonic with all his biases never moved passed the first stage described by Goethe.

For references and additional information, read a Google knol titled, 'The Holy Quran as the Miracle of the Holy Prophet.' Here is the link:

http://knol.google.com/k/zia-shah/the-ho...umbuyp/55#

So, Holy Babylon which translation did you get, or did you just want Stereophonic and me to debate it out?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)