Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
If their was no such thing as religion etc would you still believe in a God?
02-02-2010, 04:26 AM
If their was no such thing as religion etc would you still believe in a God?
I've asked this question to myself a few time...

If their was no religion, God was never mentioned or anything in that genre (including sprititual beliefs etc) would we still believe in God and have our own personal religion?

Here is I'll try to answer that, but I am interested in your responses.

I personally am not from a religious family or background, I actually do not follow any traditional pre-written religions anyway, I've looked into many of them and find some truth within some of them, but for me personally, not enough to follow one specific religion. I have my own complex beliefs built over time from experiences, research, wisdom and facts - I meant that with respect to all religions as they are their as a guide/faith and generally meant with good intentions but I just have my own views. Sorry for rambling on their but I felt it was nessasary for me to explain that in order for you to understand my answer to my question, OK.

So whilst I was younger, I had heard of religion but didn't understand too much about it, nor did I look into them deeply (and that was mainly christianity due to my ethnicity and location) but I always felt "something" their all my life from an incredibally young age, something I couldn't explain, It's like I felt the force and influence of God, but never reffered to it as God and it's like I had very complex morals which I felt my choices was being judged by some superior force - through my life and I don't mean in a "traditional" religious sense I have been through some very strange things like being able to read souls (perception) and understand a demonic or angelic influence, words from people that they may have sub-conciously said that has such incredibally deep and religious meaning, dreams that have come true and messages in dreams, also I have had like de-ja-voos but had the dream before hand and remembered it, to which I have learnt to cope with the situation etc.

But in a very short nuttshell, for influences such as the above, if their was no such thing as religions etc I can honestly say I would the "idea" of God and religion to certain respects, though they would not be exactly the same as many of the popular religions today, and considering I do not follow any specific religion the I find some truthful things with many I could expect that anyway. But I thought this was an interesting question.
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2010, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2010 06:02 AM by Bloke.)
RE: If their was no such thing as religion etc would you still believe in a God?
That's a good point, many who get "some sort of feeling" are told what it is. "That feeling is the glory of God!" or "That's the love of Jesus" or something. If you accept that assertion then hey presto you're religious.

But what if it isn't anything to do with a god? Assuming this feeling that you have isn't like a normal feeling of say pain where if I poke you with a pin, the feeling comes with information that there is something happening to cause damage and this is where it's coming from. I can't say I know what feeling you're talking about, but regardless, next time you have it, or if you have it now, or whatever, just think: what information does this feeling actually carry with it? Would you really have come to the conclusion that it means you are feeling the presence of a character from a bronze age book if no one suggested it to you?

Quote:It's like I felt the force and influence of God, but never refered to it as God and it's like I had very complex morals which I felt my choices was being judged by some superior force

If you haven't guessed by now i'm an atheist, I get this feeling too, but I find no reason to make the assumption it is a god. To me it's just my conscience. I decide for myself what I think is right or wrong. So do most religious people by the way - they just choose the parts of their book that support their views and ignore those that don't. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who truly believes you must be stoned to death if you work on a Sunday.

But let's say for the sake of argument this "feeling" you have does compell you to believe that there's an all powerful being. How can you trust your interpretation of this sense? This optical illusion immediately compells me to believe in the presence of a face, but my brain has misinterpreted.
Find all posts by this user
02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
RE: If their was no such thing as religion etc would you still believe in a God?
(02-02-2010 06:00 AM)Bloke Wrote:  That's a good point, many who get "some sort of feeling" are told what it is. "That feeling is the glory of God!" or "That's the love of Jesus" or something. If you accept that assertion then hey presto you're religious.

But what if it isn't anything to do with a god? Assuming this feeling that you have isn't like a normal feeling of say pain where if I poke you with a pin, the feeling comes with information that there is something happening to cause damage and this is where it's coming from. I can't say I know what feeling you're talking about, but regardless, next time you have it, or if you have it now, or whatever, just think: what information does this feeling actually carry with it? Would you really have come to the conclusion that it means you are feeling the presence of a character from a bronze age book if no one suggested it to you?

Quote:It's like I felt the force and influence of God, but never refered to it as God and it's like I had very complex morals which I felt my choices was being judged by some superior force

If you haven't guessed by now i'm an atheist, I get this feeling too, but I find no reason to make the assumption it is a god. To me it's just my conscience. I decide for myself what I think is right or wrong. So do most religious people by the way - they just choose the parts of their book that support their views and ignore those that don't. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who truly believes you must be stoned to death if you work on a Sunday.

But let's say for the sake of argument this "feeling" you have does compell you to believe that there's an all powerful being. How can you trust your interpretation of this sense? This optical illusion immediately compells me to believe in the presence of a face, but my brain has misinterpreted.

Firstly I was never "told" what these feelings were, I figured this out in time and not by reading as I am sure you're going to say that Tongue but from un-denyable events that have happened in my life.

Those things you say would seem the more "logical" approach, but I've experienced certain things in my life were logic totally goes out of the window, religious things that haven't even been written, nor things I could have could possibly have understood at such a young age have been been confirmed to me in a plethora of ways, things I wouldn't really want to go into too much detail about, but things I will try to explain in an understandable manner without coming across as delusional or preposterous in my book .

But I know you, being an atheist I know you won't rest until you hear an example so here is one...

I imagine you've heard of a Déjà vo right?

Well some people (mainly scientists) claim this is a glitch in the brain interperating a specific even in a double manner to make you feel this event has "happened before"...

Others (as do I) claim it's key event(s) or warnings in ones life which is incredibally important and has substantial meaning, but the hard things are, what do you do in this event? warnings often come with clarity, but many others don't...

Now, if I told you, that I have had dreams (and dreams not that have come from my thinking or an experience) but something I absoloutly would never think of, I have remembered them, and without sounding crazy, have tried to warn people or myself on such an event(s) like a premonition. These events have been exactly how I have dreamed to and abosoloute 100% T would you believe me?

Well no matter what you say, I swear it is true, they do not happen often but have on a seldom basis and I am sure I will have some in the future.

Now to my point, I am sure some docters/scientists etc will try and come up with a hypothesis on something like this... but the fact remains that their is no correct 100% logical answer, absoloutly not. Therefore, there is an example were logic and reason says bye bye.

Now, something like this is a very small example on why I am the way I am in religious respects but has a small amount of significance - I just wanted to give you an example on how the logical approach can be useless.
02-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi CraigFox
First there is no evidence that life could have happened without a creator. So the only thing left is, who or what is it? Man is quite imaginative, so there are a lot of ideas, on who or what that creator is. Really though there should be only one answer. Once this known there would be no religions, but only a way of life, so really, that is the future.
02-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I have always believed that you can have faith without religion and religion without faith. There are some religions that don't believe in any God. Religion is about rules, while faith is simply believing.
02-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Honestly, it would depend on experiences. I would have to see where experience would take me, and I can't really postulate that, coming from a position of a very religious childhood.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
02-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I believe that as long as humans exist, religion will exist. A world without religion is impossible, since humans need religion to function properly.

Religion gives people hope; atheism gives people despair.

Religion gives people light at the end of the tunnel; atheism gives people the black void of permanent oblivion.

Religion gives people optimism; atheism gives people pessimism.

Therefore, religion promotes mental health; atheism promotes mental illness.

Nevertheless, it's better to be an atheist than a follower of a religion that encourages you to hate and murder others believing differently from you.

Every evening I turn my worries over to God.
He's going to be up all night anyway.
~Mary C. Crowley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2010, 08:06 PM
(02-06-2010 06:55 PM)Al A. Gammate Wrote:  I believe that as long as humans exist, religion will exist. A world without religion is impossible, since humans need religion to function properly.

Religion gives people hope; atheism gives people despair.

Religion gives people light at the end of the tunnel; atheism gives people the black void of permanent oblivion.

Religion gives people optimism; atheism gives people pessimism.

Therefore, religion promotes mental health; atheism promotes mental illness.

Nevertheless, it's better to be an atheist than a follower of a religion that encourages you to hate and murder others believing differently from you.
I disagree with this immensely.

Light at the end of the tunnel? I rather like the idea of ceasing to exist once my time is done. Like Queen and Highlander say -- who wants to live forever?

How is it you think religion gives people optimism when so many religions focus on rules?

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The only thing greater than God. Greatest I am 32 2,533 04-19-2012 06:48 PM
Last Post: thomasj6299
  Name Just One Thing Religion Has Done to Evolve Human Advancement Secular Hobbit 44 5,831 04-30-2010 06:07 PM
Last Post: azurescen

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)